Excersises for Bad Knees?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm trying to amp up my exercises routine and I'm looking for exercises that will help strengthen my knees. My knees are very weak and hurt! I also have lower back pain, so please no exercises that will put too much pressure on my back!

Also, would weights hurt or help??

Thanks babes! ♥
    They hurt and are weak because you AREN'T forcing them to work. Any muscle that's unused and unconditioned will hurt if exercised. You're young and there isn't any reason for "bad knees" and a "bad back" if you've not been seriously injured.
    The body is an amazing thing. Adaptability is something that it's good at. Every client that's ever told me that they have bad knees, I put through a regimen of exercise that involves lots of leg work. And guess what? Those bad knees never existed. They just lacked stressing them correctly.
    Learn correct form on how to squat. Start with one set and work your way up. Keep your core tight and back pain shouldn't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I love these tough love posts haha

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff I totally agree with what you said. I have a question for you, though. I hyperextended my left knee yesterday. How long would you wait to lift after a hyperextension and would you drop weight after this injury? (yes, I have seen my doctor, but she admits that what she doesn't know about weight lifting would fill several books.)
    Check your flexibility first. If you can't extend your leg out straight without pain, then you shouldn't lift at all. It should just be dynamic movements at a slow controlled pace for you.
    Once pain is gone, then you start low resistance and slowly over a couple of weeks, increase it at small progressions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm trying to amp up my exercises routine and I'm looking for exercises that will help strengthen my knees. My knees are very weak and hurt! I also have lower back pain, so please no exercises that will put too much pressure on my back!

Also, would weights hurt or help??

Thanks babes! ♥
    They hurt and are weak because you AREN'T forcing them to work. Any muscle that's unused and unconditioned will hurt if exercised. You're young and there isn't any reason for "bad knees" and a "bad back" if you've not been seriously injured.
    The body is an amazing thing. Adaptability is something that it's good at. Every client that's ever told me that they have bad knees, I put through a regimen of exercise that involves lots of leg work. And guess what? Those bad knees never existed. They just lacked stressing them correctly.
    Learn correct form on how to squat. Start with one set and work your way up. Keep your core tight and back pain shouldn't happen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is not always the case. I'm 37 and have progressive spinal arthritis, and my knees are not the best. Granted, my body took a lot of abuse in the service, but no injuries. You just can't assume since someone is young, that they can't have bad knees, or arthritis, etc.
    Well, I will say that after 35, most people will suffer from aches and pains they obtained when they were younger. It's rare that you find anyone who's been involved in physical fitness that hasn't had some sort of nagging injury or pain that they've just learned to live with.
    OP gave no indication of a health issue other than being overweight (later in her discussion), so I'll still stick by my assumption. Obviously a health condition can affect an exercise regimen, but again I've not gotten any info that the OP has one.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• crenee88
    crenee88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After having knee surgery, my doctor recommended biking and a number of stretches and muscle strengthening exercises. Walking/running are exercises he told me to avoid. Swimming is awesome. And biking has helped to strengthen my knees so much! My favorite muscle strengthening exercise is leg lifts.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my knees and back were often hurting. I'm in Japan so I decided to try Radio Taiso which is 10 to 15 minutes of gentle exercises and active stretching. However at the time it wasn't so easy. Amazingly within a few days my pain started reducing and soon I was started working out for real.

For me my knees were just getting weak and I've always had back pain when I lied down too long. Now I'm pretty active and those pains are gone. The pains I deal with now are things like muscle soreness and minor injuries.
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Def see a doctor, then give PIYo a shot! Low impact and extremely effective. My knees were shot after a month of crossfit back in the winter. They are fine now!
  • staceyballard2
    staceyballard2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought knee sleeves by Rehband to help support my achy knees during Crossfit workouts and weightlifting. I have noticed a HUGE positive impact on my performance and comfort during workouts. I also take turmeric, fish oil, and glucosamine chondroitin daily to help with cartilage, joints, and mobility. Spending time to stretch has also helped quite a bit! Good luck to you. Chronic knee pain is a monster.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to your orthopedist about referring you to a physical therapist. The physical therapist will be able to give you a workout program based on your specific knee injury or damage.

I had a double hip replacement last year and I also have an arthritic knee. The doctor referred me to a rehab after the surgery and the rehab was able to get me walking up and down stairs within 2 weeks. The physical therapists will evaluate your body and recommend based on your specific criteria. With all due respect to everybody else unless they physically examine you they have no idea what they are talking about.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Watch lots of videos on good form. Back and knee pain can result from bad form.

Focus on core too. Strong abs, glutes, lats... Google glute activation techniques (Brett Contreras)

Practice good posture: keep your gut engaged -- shoulders back and down -- head high/chin down...
  • salyerssommer
    salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Emijanine wrote: »
    Def see a doctor, then give PIYo a shot! Low impact and extremely effective. My knees were shot after a month of crossfit back in the winter. They are fine now!

What is Piyo??
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Bike but with low back pain choose an upright posture-like a hybrid bike or a recumbent. Or swim lengths. or both