Calories in rice ?

delgrand
delgrand Posts: 108 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey
MFP says that 200 g of Generic - White Rice (Long Grain, Cooked) contains 232 calories

My girlfriend says that she puts oil, and margarine on the rice, and without doing so, it would be impossible for her to cook because it gets sticky + tastes bad.

so how can I calculate calories in rice with oil and margarine added on ?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Use the recipe builder, put in the ingredients raw by gram, then weigh your total dish after its completed minus the weight of the pot. Set that gram number as the number of servings, and when you put it on your plate, log the number of grams as your servings.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    You need to know how much she puts on o the amount of rice shes cooked and then make a recipe and add the weight you have from there.
  • delgrand
    to be honest I did not understand what you guys are talking about !
  • suzyjane1972
    You need to make it into a recipe on the recipe builder.
  • delgrand
    but how can I know how much proportion of oil is in my 200 g plate of rice?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    delgrand wrote: »

OP, you need to have her weigh out the oil and butter, and how much rice. Put all of this in the recipe builder and give it name called Cooked Rice with Oil/Butter (something like that) Then select the number of servings for example 2. Click save or Log it.

Enter on your diary 1 serving of recipe called cooked rice etc..

There is no 100% absolute way to know EACTLY how much butter and oil you consumed on premade food like this. You can make your own and this is the only way to know.

Edited add: OP you can do what MakePaea saids and weight the entire recipe and enter the servings as 1 gram and then enter that you had 200 grams. This is cumbersome to do, but you do have 2 choices.. sorry I was trying to go the easiest route and if you need every single gram to come out right to keep you in your deficit, then this is best way to do it.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member

1. Weigh the rice, oil and margarine separately. Find the recipe builder under the food tab, and create a recipe that you will recognize the name of and enter the rice, oil and margarine (using the weights you just took) as ingredients. Don't finish it yet, because you'll need to weigh the finished product to get # of servings

2. Weigh the pot that you are going to use to cook the rice. Write this number down.

3. After the rice is cooked, and the pot is cool enough to put on your scale, weigh the pot with the rice in it. Subtract the weight of the pot (which you wrote down before cooking), and enter this number into the recipe builder as your # of servings. This way, every serving is 1g and it will be easy to log any size portion you want.

4. When you have rice, weigh it, and use the weight as the number of servings in your log. You have built a recipe with 1g servings, so every gram you eat would count as a serving.

It will seem complicated the first few times, but after a while it becomes very easy.
  • MakePeasNotWar

If you follow Queenmunchy's process, you will enter the total weight of the rice recipe, and the total weight of the oil in the recipe. When you log by weight, it will add all the calories and macros proportionally.

ex: if the total weight of the recipe was 600g, and the oil was 30g, your 200g serving will have 30/600*200g of oil (MFP does this calculation for you if you follow the steps I wrote above to use Queenmunchy's technique)
  • delgrand
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

OP, you need to have her weigh out the oil and butter, and how much rice. Put all of this in the recipe builder and give it name called Cooked Rice with Oil/Butter (something like that) Then select the number of servings for example 2. Click save or Log it.

There is no 100% absolute way to know EACTLY how much butter and oil you consumed on premade food like this. You can make your own and this is the only way to know.

1. Weigh the rice, oil and margarine separately. Find the recipe builder under the food tab, and create a recipe that you will recognize the name of and enter the rice, oil and margarine (using the weights you just took) as ingredients. Don't finish it yet, because you'll need to weigh the finished product to get # of servings

2. Weigh the pot that you are going to use to cook the rice. Write this number down.

3. After the rice is cooked, and the pot is cool enough to put on your scale, weigh the pot with the rice in it. Subtract the weight of the pot (which you wrote down before cooking), and enter this number into the recipe builder as your # of servings. This way, every serving is 1g and it will be easy to log any size portion you want.

4. When you have rice, weigh it, and use the weight as the number of servings in your log. You have built a recipe with 1g servings, so every gram you eat would count as a serving.

It will seem complicated the first few times, but after a while it becomes very easy.

Do I weight the rice before cooking ?!

Thank for the detailed response.
  • suzyjane1972
    Or just take your rice out before she adds the other ingredients.
  • MakePeasNotWar

It depends on when you add the oil and margarine. If you cook it all together, you need to weigh all the ingredients raw. If you add the margarine and oil to cooked rice, use the cooked weight. Because cooked rice weighs more than raw, the proportions will be off if you don't weigh it at the point where you combine the ingredients.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Or just take your rice out before she adds the other ingredients.

If she doesn't cook it all together, this would definitely be easier. Then the OP could add what he chooses in whatever serving size he wants and log it separately.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,871 Member
    edited June 2016
    Hey
    MFP says that 200 g of Generic - White Rice (Long Grain, Cooked) contains 232 calories

My girlfriend says that she puts oil, and margarine on the rice, and without doing so, it would be impossible for her to cook because it gets sticky + tastes bad.

Rice doesn't get sticky without oil or butter! Don't cook rice with a measured amount of water as it's more prone to error. Bring a pot of water to the boil, then put the rice in. The rice needs to be drowned in water properly, thus if the rice covers 1 inch in the pot have at least 3 inch more water in it. When the rice is ready, put the lid on the pot, hold it in place with a rolled up kitchen towel above and towards the handles and drain all the water, keeping the rice in the pot (or use a sieve). Remove lid, stir and let the rice stand for some 5 more minutes, stir every now and then. You get perfect, non-sticky rice.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Basmati rice is delicious and fluffy without oil or margarine (two cups of water to one cup of rice and never open it until it's done).

On the other hand...if someone were cooking for me I wouldn't complain, I got nothing on the weighing of rice with oil. Good luck with that
  • delgrand

It depends on when you add the oil and margarine. If you cook it all together, you need to weigh all the ingredients raw. If you add the margarine and oil to cooked rice, use the cooked weight. Because cooked rice weighs more than raw, the proportions will be off if you don't weigh it at the point where you combine the ingredients.

So lets say I weight the rice before cooking at it is 200 gm which contains 750 calories
    then I see how much oil is added, lets say 2tbsp, thats 260 calories, then I add calories form margarine and that's 102 calories.
    Total 1112 calories

Then I weight the rice after it is cooked, and lets say cooked rice weighs 500 gm

so If I want to eat 250 gm of the cooked rice, then that's 1/2 of the 500 gm .

so 1112 calories /2= 556 calories in 250 gm of cooked rice

Am I right ?
  • MakePeasNotWar

So lets say I weight the rice before cooking at it is 200 gm which contains 750 calories
    then I see how much oil is added, lets say 2tbsp, thats 260 calories, then I add calories form margarine and that's 102 calories.
    Total 1112 calories

Then I weight the rice after it is cooked, and lets say cooked rice weighs 500 gm

Am I right ?

Exactly.
  • delgrand
    edited June 2016
    yirara wrote: »
    Hey

Rice doesn't get sticky without oil or butter! Don't cook rice with a measured amount of water as it's more prone to error. Bring a pot of water to the boil, then put the rice in. The rice needs to be drowned in water properly, thus if the rice covers 1 inch in the pot have at least 3 inch more water in it. When the rice is ready, put the lid on the pot, hold it in place with a rolled up kitchen towel above and towards the handles and drain all the water, keeping the rice in the pot (or use a sieve). Remove lid, stir and let the rice stand for some 5 more minutes, stir every now and then. You get perfect, non-sticky rice.

my knowledge in cooking is zero. I wrote what my gf told me. I asked her not to use oil/margarine and she said that she can decrease the amount she uses but she can't eliminate oil/margarine totally because "rice sticks and tastes bad without oil/margarine".

Thanks for the suggestion
  • delgrand

Total 1112 calories

Am I right ?

Exactly.

Finally got it :D Thank you all :D
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    It might be easier to use an uncooked value for rice. If she makes two servings of rice and 1 TB of oil and you eat half (of the total cooked amount) you know that you can count 1 serving of rice and 1/2 TB oil.

I have never needed to use oil/margarine when cooking rice and it turns out great. If GF is willing, she could try some different methods of cooking rice to find one that she can do without oil.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I think the recipe builder will be your friend here. Once you enter the numbers once, you can weight your portion each time and enter it from your own recipe. Of course, this assumes she is being pretty consistent with the oil/butter each time, but as long as she doesn't keep increasing the amounts, it should average out OK.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    This kind of baffles me. I've never added fats to rice in cooking. You'll need decent quality rice; the really cheap stuff tastes crappy to me. Try basmati or jasmine. And a nonstick pot to cook it in.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    gothchiq wrote: »
    This kind of baffles me. I've never added fats to rice in cooking. You'll need decent quality rice; the really cheap stuff tastes crappy to me. Try basmati or jasmine. And a nonstick pot to cook it in.

I think its cultural... and/or what you are used to. My DH is adamant that rice without oil and salt is terrible. So, now I just add a small amount of each which keeps us both happy.
    Oh, and a good rice cooker is my best friend, I'm stuck when I have to cook it on the stovetop.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Before reading this thread I never knew that people cooked rice this way.....

Learn something new every day!
  • delgrand
    I also found out that she uses bouillon cubes. She cooked a sample with no oil/margarine/bouillon cubes. She was right, it was tasteless and dry, similar to the rice offered by hospitals to patients.

It is much better with oil and bouillon cubes.

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I also found out that she uses bouillon cubes. She cooked a sample with no oil/margarine/bouillon cubes. She was right, it was tasteless and dry, similar to the rice offered by hospitals to patients.

It is much better with oil and bouillon cubes.

Lots of things are enhanced with added fat and salt LOL It's all in where you want to spend your calories :)
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    I can not imagine cooking white rice with oil and butter. I just chuck a cup of rice and two cups of water in the rice cooker and let it go. Really moist and fluffy rice every time. I do use a good rice though, not the super cheap bags. Sometimes I will add a little butter after, but that's just because it reminds me of being a kid. I could eat the rice strait out of the pot (if I wasn't flexing some self restraint).
  • Nimbus5000
    Nimbus5000 Posts: 15 Member
    I sometimes struggle with white short grain rice cooking as it goes claggy and dense if slightly overlooked or with incorrect amount of water. Brown rice is foolproof for cooking (definitely no oil required), healthier and much tastier in my opinion - wins all around.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Well 200g of cooked rice in my experience is closer to 260 calories anyway...

But definitely talk to your gf, it doesn't need all that stuff to taste good... or ask her how much she puts on it and add 150 calories or something - which ends up being a lot of calories for rice.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Hey

my knowledge in cooking is zero. I wrote what my gf told me. I asked her not to use oil/margarine and she said that she can decrease the amount she uses but she can't eliminate oil/margarine totally because "rice sticks and tastes bad without oil/margarine".

Thanks for the suggestion

I don't use butter/oil/margarine with my rice and it's fine and it doesn't stick. I find it's absolutely wonderful and tastes better! But to each their own taste, right?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Maybe GF is just a bad cook? I do like my rice made with chicken broth rather than water - but I don't need all that other stuff added. I use a rice cooker though - turns out perfect every time.