Calories in rice ?

2»

Replies

• scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    First thing is to ask her to cook without the added calories.

Add rice to pot, add water, add salt, come back in 12 minutes to eat!

I can only assume the stickiness comes from continual stirring and messing around it during cooking. This breaks down the grains and releases the starch.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    delgrand wrote: »
    I also found out that she uses bouillon cubes. She cooked a sample with no oil/margarine/bouillon cubes. She was right, it was tasteless and dry, similar to the rice offered by hospitals to patients.

It is much better with oil and bouillon cubes.

A salad is nicer with chips and a steak.

Add flavour with spices or vegetables.
  • delgrand
    delgrand Posts: 108 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yeah everyone has his own taste. I guess I am used to the way she cooks.

and no she is not a bad cook, in fact she cooks many weird things that have weird names that I have never heard about & I like them .

Anyway she eliminated margarine, minimized oil usage, still added bouillon cubes.Tasted good. I was lazy to calculate the exact calorie number, so I just added 150 calories to calories found in cooked rice in the "ordinary way"

I guess I'll use the recipe builder tomorrow.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    I make my rice with nothing but water in a rice cooker, and then add whatever afterwards.
  • Pikashel
    Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
    If you rinse the rice a couple times before cooking it will reduce the stickiness and starchiness...
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    delgrand wrote: »
    Yeah everyone has his own taste. I guess I am used to the way she cooks.

and no she is not a bad cook, in fact she cooks many weird things that have weird names that I have never heard about & I like them .

Anyway she eliminated margarine, minimized oil usage, still added bouillon cubes.Tasted good. I was lazy to calculate the exact calorie number, so I just added 150 calories to calories found in cooked rice in the "ordinary way"

I guess I'll use the recipe builder tomorrow.

I sometimes use a bit of butter when I cook rice. It's not a ton so I generally just add an estimate of my share of the oils. For example, if I add 100 calories of butter and ear 25% of it, I "charge" myself 25 additional calories.

I have been massively successful without having to do some of the things others here insist are required.....GASP...I even use measuring cups to portion my rice....
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    I cook rice in similar way to your girlfriend. What I do is I open recipe builder. Then I weight all my ingredients (dry rice, bit of butter and vegetable broth). Then I cook it (first I fry rice in butter for few minutes until it becomes translucent, then I add broth and a bit of turmeric and I leave it to cook). When it's ready I weight it and divide grams by number of portions I've made. This way you know exactly how many calories and grams is in each portions. Sounds like a lot of hassle but actually it takes maybe 2 minutes to do all that weighting and math.