What is a healthy cereal?

blopmiyers
blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
I love cereal, however most of the cereal I find is loaded with sugar. I've read that the kashi line of cereal is healthy but then again, 1 serving of one of their cereals that I saw had 13g if sugar. I eat big breakfasts and would probably have 2-3 servings along with something else. What's a healthy cereal?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Is your definition of healthy, low sugar?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I like lucky charms mixed with Honey Nut Cheerios add some berries and unsweetened almond milk. Yum
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Kashi GoLean has more protein than normal, so it's more filling and offers more nutrition.
  • wonderwoman8613
    wonderwoman8613 Posts: 8 Member
    I eat fiber one with soymilk
  • elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    Regular O's, unsweetened shredded wheat (0 sugar and 5g protein), rice crispies, Heritage Flakes. I usually just do oatmeal w/ misc add-ins.
  • luciachristenson
    luciachristenson Posts: 4 Member
    Plain Cheerios with almond milk/skim milk
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited June 2016
    I love the kashi go lean original. . big serving for a cereal. . 58g. . that with a half cup of unsweetend almond milk is about 195 calories. Add a banana or a yogurt and im good to go. not sure about the sugar because i dont keep track of it.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I like the Trader Joe's high fiber O's. They are fairly high in protein as well as fiber, although I couldn't tell you what the sugar content is.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Fiber one cereal has about the least amount calories I've seen per serving. Volume wise I think it's a good choice. I find cereal not to be a good choice for me though. So many more filling things with less calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    To me, no single foods are healthy or unhealthy, but I eat quite a lot of plain oatmeal, polenta, semolina, millet, cooked with water and milk and served with butter, and sometimes Weetabix with milk, and I perceive my diet as healthy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Oatmeal
    Weetbix
    cheerios
    muesli
    cornflakes
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Whichever fits your nutritional goal and calories best. I recently found that weetabix have a new version which includes extra wheat protein. Tastes just like normal weetabix but with more protein :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I like old fashioned oatmeal and I add in chia seeds, raisins and cinnamon. I'm also a fan of shredded wheat..but I have to add some fruit or it's just too bland. If you're coming from high sugar cereal, you may need to go 1/2 and 1/2 and slowly reduce the sugary one. It took my taste buds a while to enjoy the low sugar options. I'm not a fan of Fiber one because it has artificial sweeteners.
  • wildredbill
    wildredbill Posts: 26 Member
    For years I have been making my own cereal by buying individual grains, like thick cut oats, barley, kashi, wheat bran, flax seed, pepitas, walnut pieces, and sunflower seed, in bulk from my local OutPost store. You might say my morning cereal has been as much of a project as it is a cooked morning cereal. (Only cook the oats, barley, kashi. All the rest goes in raw before eating.)
    Was so PROUD of my daily cereal mix until I told my doctor about how healthy my breakfast cereal is. Then he said: "You would probably would have been better off just eating bacon and eggs for breakfast." We were told for years how bad cholesterol is for the heart etc. Now it's "fat is food for the brain." Sometimes its not breakfast that is the problem. Sometimes it's keeping one's sanity that is the challenge.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I love cereal, however most of the cereal I find is loaded with sugar. I've read that the kashi line of cereal is healthy but then again, 1 serving of one of their cereals that I saw had 13g if sugar. I eat big breakfasts and would probably have 2-3 servings along with something else. What's a healthy cereal?

Shredded Wheat, Oatmeal and grits for hot cereals, Granola (higher in sugar, but not crazy),
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    My personal favorite cereals are:

Nature's Path Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes (only 4g of sugar and 5g fiber)
    http://us.naturespath.com/product/flax-plusr-flakes

Nature's Path Flax Plus Raisin Bran (12g sugar because of the raisins mostly and 8g fiber)
    http://us.naturespath.com/product/flax-plusr-raisin-bran

Nature's Path Flax Plus Heritage Flakes (4g sugar and 5g fiber)
    http://us.naturespath.com/product/heritager-flakes

Kelloggs Crispix Cereal (4g sugar; no fiber; but fortified with vitamins)
    http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-crispix-cereal.html#prevpoint
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    I looovvveeee oatmeal, muesli and weetbix!!!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    My favorite is Oatmeal and Uncle Sam's is a very old cereal company. Delicious!
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Weetbix and porridge oats .