What is a healthy cereal?

2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Original Cherrios is low sugar.
    Uncle Sam Wheat Berry Flakes is low sugar.
    Plain oatmeal has only the sugar you add.

I don't usually eat cereal because I don't find it very filling.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2016
    Even the cereals that advertize themselves as healthy have a lot of added sugar and contribute little in the way of nutrition (unless you count fortified ones that take a low nutrition cereal and add a bunch of vitamins to it to make it appear nutrition packed). Some of them with the "healthy" reputation (Kashi for example) are pretty high in calories, with a tiny serving size. Watch out for ones bragging about large amounts of whole grains per serving...they are counting on you not realizing that a gram of whole grain is not the same as a gram of fiber and thinking you have a high fiber cereal when it is actually low. So read labels.

I have found that the Fooducate app's nutrition ratings very helpful at noticing some of these things. I don't follow it religiously and obsess over eating all A+ foods, because sometimes I want something because it tastes good and am willing to spend some calories on it. Or sometimes I disagree with the rating criteria. But I would like to know that's what I'm doing when I do that, not fall for marketing hype (I'm looking at you, Special K....)

For a more direct answer to your question, Whole Foods' store brand cereal line contains several cereals that meet my specific criteria of whole grains, minimal added sugar, fairly natural, low enough calorie that I can have a nice portion size. I especially like the bite sized wheat squares (not the frosted ones) and morning 0s. Natures Path Organic also has some cereals you might try; the Mesa Sunrise is one I'm eating right now. Basically a "Corn Flakes" type of cereal made with organic corn, flax, quinoa, and amaranth; just 4g sugar.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Steel cut oats for least amount of processing or anything added. You can always have it with some yogurt, nuts, and chia seeds for adequate protein, fat, and fiber for your macros.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I'm going to make a big assumption here that your idea of a healthy cereal is one that is low in sugar, higher in fiber, and maybe a little protein thrown in for good measure.

Advertisers know this so market appropriately. The box may display a flashy banner "good source of protein" or "gluten-free", whatever the "health du jour" happens to be.

But you don't need your cereal to be high or low on anything. You can fix any deficits yourself, for instance, by adding a little fruit or milk.

A plain cereal with its fiber intact include any oatmeal, Red River cereal, wheat puffs, or shredded wheat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I like lucky charms mixed with Honey Nut Cheerios add some berries and unsweetened almond milk. Yum

Lucky Charms. That's my go to!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I do oatmeal every morning. Love it and you can add whatever you want.

I also do granola often or nuggets often with yogurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Basically stuff with low sugar, whole grains, more fiber.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Kashi GoLean has more protein than normal, so it's more filling and offers more nutrition.

This. I buy the Kashi GoLean Crisp cinnamon crumble and it has 11g protein and 9g fiber. I top with 70g (~1/2 cup) blueberries and 4oz 1% milk for 251 calories, 15g protein, and 12g fiber. That with some coffee keeps me full 'til lunch.

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Whichever fits your nutritional goal and calories best. I recently found that weetabix have a new version which includes extra wheat protein. Tastes just like normal weetabix but with more protein :)

Always eat Weetabix and now I eat the Protein Weetabix, top cereal
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Whatever fits in with your macros.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yup, wheat protein, AKA "gluten". I bet Weetabix is snapping it up at bargain basement prices.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    French toast crunch mixed with Captain crunch berries, and chocolate milk poured on top is pretty legit...