Weight Loss Through Walking..Should I even bother?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate how many calories you burn, especially for walking. It seems best to not eat all of them back - most people appear to eat back 50-80% of their exercise calories.

Excellent point. I was very frustrated years ago when I first started on MFP, using their exercise estimations. I bought a Polar HRM, and was stunned - walks didn't burn 500-700 calories, they burned 300-400 for me. Huge difference.

Now I use a Fitbit because I am super competitive, and it helps motivate me. I have no idea if the HRM aspect of it is accurate (I use the Blaze), but in terms of results, it seems to be working. If you don't have one, it might help you work towards your goals.
  • rose_a_lind
    rose_a_lind Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also would recommend to keep up with the walking. It brightens your outlook and is a great stress reliever. You will feel better about yourself and then be able to feel motivated to work on the weight loss goal. Remember your heart, circulation, muscles, and all other systems are healthier from the walking workout. With the daily exercise your hormones are working more efficiently which greatly effects the ability to lose weight, control appetite, and get a good night's sleep.

All these factors are more important than a ineffective dietary program. Rome wasn't built in a day, it takes time. Keep up the good work!
  • cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Echoing the sentiment of most people here ...
    • walking helped clear my head and airways, and it upped my fitness level
    • mindful eating + calorie counting drove the majority of my weight loss