Weight Loss Seems Impossible

Options
Hey guys, I need some advice I guess. I am in a situation where I am not the one buying the food in my house and I cannot buy it myself... long story, please let me spare the details.

I feel like it is impossible to lose weight because I cannot eat healthy, though I try to portion, the food is full of carbs and fat.

I have gym at my job and I currently only do 3-5 days a week 30 min at a time. I want to do more but I am always completely exhausted, partially from eating bad, partially because i cant sleep at night and i get up at 4am...

I am not always great at water intake but i'm getting there... Ive already had 5 going on 6 glasses of water today.

Has anyone had successful weight loss while unable to eat healthy?
Does anyone have any helpful tips?

I have lost all motivation and feel exhausted 24-7. I don't want mean to be full of excuses, but I am. :(

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Just eat less of the food that is there, or go shopping with the one who does the buying and pick out what you want. Carbs and fat aren't the problem unless they put you over your calorie goal.

This^^

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don't give up, OP. It isn't impossible! :) I've lost 80 lbs eating a lot of the same foods I always did; I just eat less of them. It isn't necessary to eat "healthy" to lose weight, though lower calorie foods does make it easier. All you need is a calorie deficit. Drinking plenty of water does at least help me feel fuller longer, though.
    Your exercise level sounds OK so far, though if you find a chance to do more, it certainly doesn't hurt anything. May I ask why the sleeplessness/ exhaustion though? Sounds like it's stressful enough to make this feel extra challenging for you. :(
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    You can't know what you're eating if you don't write it down. Log a solid week and figure out what our consuming.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is impossible to lose weight because I cannot eat healthy, though I try to portion, the food is full of carbs and fat.

You can lose weight eating carbs and fat, neither of which are bad for you or impact weight loss unless you've got some type of insulin resistance.

All you need to worry about is portion control. Eat within your MFP calorie limit of whatever food is available to you. I'm in the same general food situation, and I can attest that it works.

If you're up early and unable to sleep, how about going for a walk if you're able? I do that, it helps wonders.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I hope eventually you can move out.
    Even when I lived with my mom, I used to be able to buy groceries.
  • kirayng2
    kirayng2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    are you able to have a mini fridge and pick up fruit/veggies for yourself and keep them there? even some lean protein, yogurts and such would fit and then you can eat some lower calorie stuff with the meals you are having. a 1200 calorie diet you can have oatmeal +fruit for breakfast, salad with lean protein some nuts/seeds a little dressing, snack a yogurt/nuts/cheese/fruit combo not all four but a dairy/fruit, and dinner up to whoever is making it just keep the portions small.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I hope eventually you can move out.
    Even when I lived with my mom, I used to be able to buy groceries.

Same here, and we took turns cooking and grocery shopping.

• deerobseven
    deerobseven Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, OP. It isn't impossible! :) I've lost 80 lbs eating a lot of the same foods I always did; I just eat less of them. It isn't necessary to eat "healthy" to lose weight, though lower calorie foods does make it easier. All you need is a calorie deficit. Drinking plenty of water does at least help me feel fuller longer, though.
    Your exercise level sounds OK so far, though if you find a chance to do more, it certainly doesn't hurt anything. May I ask why the sleeplessness/ exhaustion though? Sounds like it's stressful enough to make this feel extra challenging for you. :(

Its a mix of generally not being able to sleep and my husband being awake when i am trying to sleep. Im always exhausted during the day and wide awake at night, and it seems as though when I am tired at night there is always something that keeps me up. Feels like a losing battle trying to maintain any kind of sleep schedule.
  • deerobseven
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Just eat less of the food that is there, or go shopping with the one who does the buying and pick out what you want. Carbs and fat aren't the problem unless they put you over your calorie goal.

Well, I would love to go shopping with my mother in law but Im at work when she does and im sure she wouldnt be very receptive to "Can you buy something you dont want to eat so i can eat it, even though im not buying it?" LOL! I am trying to just be appreciative with what she provides. Im def working on portioning for sure. It is tough remaining under the calorie goal but im trying to at least hover close to it. Thank you for that! :smiley:
  • deerobseven
    Options
    Perhaps focusing on the things that you can control will help you, ie: levels of stress and your lack of sleep.

Make sure you put in place all the steps you can to ensure good sleep hygiene so exhaustion is not plaguing you. Maybe cut down on some of the gym time and take up walking or yoga and incorporate meditation into your day, something anything that can give you pleasure and a bit of Zen time to relieve the stress.

I am not sure whether the 4 am wake up is for work/gym or due to your poor sleep but again try any thing you can to ensure you do get adequate good quality sleep. Google has some really good tips but if you are struggling with chronic insomnia please seek a Drs. advice, believe me lack of sleep makes everything seem much darker and impossible.

Great job with the water, keep going with that as it is always a good thing to be well hydrated.

As others have said it is still possible to lose weight while not eating 'healthy' foods - if the foods you are eating aren't providing you with adequate nutrition - then look into taking a good quality supplement to help.

You mention that you are practicing portion control, are you using scales as well?? That may help you feel more in control of the situation.

Could you approach the person who is doing the food buying and ask if they would be willing to purchase something that you would find appealing ie: a bag of apples, oranges or other multi packs of fruit, perhaps those bagged frozen veggies in a bulk amount could be bought?? I suggest this as they would hopefully not find them too expensive and you could portion them out over the buying time and at least have something that you find gives you more nutritional bang for your buck.

I wish you all the best.

Hello,

So the lack of sleep is partially insomnia related and part my husband being up during my sleep time... not really willing to leave the room . -____- Its def not ideal for being well rested. I dont start work until 9 am but my husband currently has to drop me off at work on his way in so im generally at work by 4:30am the gym opens at 5am. Sometimes I workout, sometimes im too exhausted so i just shower and get ready for the day. And even then I cant nap. :(

Water is no problem for me, im ALWAYS thirsty LOL! I also get in the free green tea they provide at my job. (The real stuff, not Lipton.) I have some protein shake i use to supplement for some meals and help me get at least some of what I need.

I dont have scales, I guess im not even familiar with them, hmm....

And, last but not least, its my mother in law doing the shopping, and wonderful as she may be, when it comes to food shes getting what she wants and thats pretty much it... I mean, it is her money so I cant really be that upset, after all shes helping me not starve to death LOL! And, any time I was able to buy healthier foods that somehow ended up gone too... no one else buys it but they all want to eat it. (There are 7 people in my home) **sigh**

Im trying to stick to some sort of portion control though.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Perhaps focusing on the things that you can control will help you, ie: levels of stress and your lack of sleep.

Make sure you put in place all the steps you can to ensure good sleep hygiene so exhaustion is not plaguing you. Maybe cut down on some of the gym time and take up walking or yoga and incorporate meditation into your day, something anything that can give you pleasure and a bit of Zen time to relieve the stress.

I am not sure whether the 4 am wake up is for work/gym or due to your poor sleep but again try any thing you can to ensure you do get adequate good quality sleep. Google has some really good tips but if you are struggling with chronic insomnia please seek a Drs. advice, believe me lack of sleep makes everything seem much darker and impossible.

Great job with the water, keep going with that as it is always a good thing to be well hydrated.

As others have said it is still possible to lose weight while not eating 'healthy' foods - if the foods you are eating aren't providing you with adequate nutrition - then look into taking a good quality supplement to help.

You mention that you are practicing portion control, are you using scales as well?? That may help you feel more in control of the situation.

Could you approach the person who is doing the food buying and ask if they would be willing to purchase something that you would find appealing ie: a bag of apples, oranges or other multi packs of fruit, perhaps those bagged frozen veggies in a bulk amount could be bought?? I suggest this as they would hopefully not find them too expensive and you could portion them out over the buying time and at least have something that you find gives you more nutritional bang for your buck.

I wish you all the best.

Hello,

So the lack of sleep is partially insomnia related and part my husband being up during my sleep time... not really willing to leave the room . -____- Its def not ideal for being well rested. I dont start work until 9 am but my husband currently has to drop me off at work on his way in so im generally at work by 4:30am the gym opens at 5am. Sometimes I workout, sometimes im too exhausted so i just shower and get ready for the day. And even then I cant nap. :(

Water is no problem for me, im ALWAYS thirsty LOL! I also get in the free green tea they provide at my job. (The real stuff, not Lipton.) I have some protein shake i use to supplement for some meals and help me get at least some of what I need.

I dont have scales, I guess im not even familiar with them, hmm....

And, last but not least, its my mother in law doing the shopping, and wonderful as she may be, when it comes to food shes getting what she wants and thats pretty much it... I mean, it is her money so I cant really be that upset, after all shes helping me not starve to death LOL! And, any time I was able to buy healthier foods that somehow ended up gone too... no one else buys it but they all want to eat it. (There are 7 people in my home) **sigh**

Im trying to stick to some sort of portion control though.

Do you wake that early with him in order to go to the gym at work to work out OR because you actually need a ride to work first and foremost? How long have you been doing this? This doesn't seem like an ideal situation at all and would get old very fast.

Also, you're more than likely eating way more than you think. If you don't have a food scale and don't know how much of something you're actually eating, then weight loss can feel impossible. You can get a food scale for $10 (at minimum) and start to weigh your food in grams. Do a little research to find out how many calories different grams of food has. And you can also just read the food label - it will tell you how many grams a serving is and how many calories that particular serving has.
  • cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Chronic sleep deprivation is inhibitive on weight loss. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC535701/
    You need to find some way to get enough sleep. Your body repairs itself while you sleep. Getting enough sleep is very important not only for weight loss but overall health.

Regular exercise is good, however for long term weight loss goals a proper diet is paramount. To achieve weight loss you will need to track your intake and eat at a caloric deficit.

If you jog for an hour every day and burn say 400 calories but then go consume a 400 calorie snack afterwards then you've achieved nothing. You'll spin your wheels.

Even if you are consuming "healthy" foods, if you eat more than you expend in a day you can still gain weight. So the first thing you need to do is track your intake and you need to make sure it's accurate. Then create some meal plans that you can stick to. Plan out your meals ahead of time so that you're not impulse eating.
  • deerobseven
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    I checked your diary, and you haven't been logging consistently. That's where you need to start. Logging accurately and consistently is the only way you're going to be able to determine that you are eating at a deficit.

The good news is that it's not the food you eat, it's the quantity (calories). It is easier when you can make your own food choices, but it can be done with portion control.

Most def working on that consistent logging. I don't always get it in but I am always watching it. Its much easier at work because I'm at my desk and just input it. I do have the app but my phone is a POS so it overheats a bunch and it doesn't really like apps, once i can get a new phone that weekends will def be easier to log.

Sounds like through you and several others that tweaking my portioning a little could help. I do want to add this though:

Last year i at boiled eggs and fruit for breakfast, large salads with lean meats and fat free dressings for lunch and light soups for dinner. No fatty foods at all, no breads, supplemented with protein shakes, took weight loss supplements and worked out 5 days a week 45min to an hour a day... for 2 months... and the only change i saw was more energy... no weight loss, my clothes were still just as tight and i didn't seem to be toning at all.... i was doing cardio, strength training and resistance training, etc ... i was drinking plenty of water and green tea.

Could it be hormonal/thyroid or the lack of sleep? Any other theories?

A little background:
    I was 125lbs size 3-5 pants, and still developing at 18. When i was 20 I was steadily at 145lbs, becoming a woman and slowing my growth, size 7-9 pants (wide hips, thin waist)... then I got pregnant. My daughter.... when i had my daughter i was 192lbs... lost most of the weight breastfeeding and walking... got down to about 155lbs... and then, I stopped breastfeeding and my weight sky rocketed without changing any other habits... ate the same, walked the same, etc. My weight continues to climb regardless.... I am now 205... and not happy at all... size 18 jeans are getting small and my daughter is now 5. :(
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Also, try to make small changes. Don't worry about "healthier" foods. You don't have to eat lettuce, brown rice and chicken all the time for weight loss - all you need is to consume less calories than you burn. Trying to do too much at once is extremely overwhelming and can set you up for failure. When you all can move out on your own and become settled, then you can control what you cook and eat. But in the meantime, don't stress yourself over what you deem to be "bad" foods. You're doing good in trying to practice portion control, but you still need a better idea of how much you're eating because you will be surprised once you start to weigh food.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on "healthy" foods. You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkie's or McDonalds. A good food scale is $12.
  • deerobseven
    Options
    kirayng2 wrote: »
    are you able to have a mini fridge and pick up fruit/veggies for yourself and keep them there? even some lean protein, yogurts and such would fit and then you can eat some lower calorie stuff with the meals you are having. a 1200 calorie diet you can have oatmeal +fruit for breakfast, salad with lean protein some nuts/seeds a little dressing, snack a yogurt/nuts/cheese/fruit combo not all four but a dairy/fruit, and dinner up to whoever is making it just keep the portions small.

**sigh** I have a mini fridge but I am not financially able to buy much of anything right now... we've had such bad luck with our car and the bills are piling up even with help. Only thing Ive been able to get is protein shake which only supplements, and its a lean protein shake not the body mass building kind lol!
  • cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Don't get hung up on "healthy" foods. You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkie's or McDonalds. A good food scale is $12.

This is true. However, if you do eat primarily junk or fast foods, you probably should take some vitamin supplements as you'd probably be deficient in some of the micronutrients that are important.