What program should I put my girlfriend on?

Options

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ryanquora wrote: »
    So my girlfriend wants to workout with me . Her weight is 85 KG and she is 5'3 tall.

Right now I am following the following routine for myself
    Mon - Chest and Triceps
    Tues - Back and Biceps
    Wed - Legs and Shoulders
    and repeat

Should I put her on the same programme?

The diet part is taken care by her but I am not sure how female training works.

how is that a routine? you're just listing body parts and days of the week. and you're doing upper body nearly three times as often as you do legs.

He saying he does a push pull legs split which is extremely common for body builders. It's very simplistic to think of the waist up as a whole. As back is pulling chest is pushing different motions, so it's actually a pretty balanced split.

OP from my experience my gf used to lift with me and she would do the exact same programs I was doing, which were pretty heavy volume with compound and isolated lifts. She didn't have any particular goals she just wanted to lift and spend time with me. She gained some serious strength but didn't bulk.

First you need to see if you gf has specific goals like other have said. If her goal is just general fitness/to workout with you then she can do whatever program you are doing.
  • violajunerose
    violajunerose Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    adoette wrote: »
    OP, as a woman who just started lifting, who girl crushes on the ladies deadlifting as much as they weigh or more, let me help a little.

Ignore the quoted post completely. In order to build bulk, you need testosterone, which women's bodies don't have in abundance. Lifting does not make women bulky. At all.

Scuse me? When I was lifting I was 5'10" tall, 220 lbs, with a 24" waist (women's size four). If your goal is to build muscle yes, as a woman you CAN build muscle. In fact most of the women I see lifting at the gym build muscle faster than men do and on lower weights. Most of them are lifting 30 and 40 lbs but they have huge muscle definition compared to guys who are lifting 300 lbs 50 times and still rocking the spaghetti noodle arms.

Why do we act like the goal for women is NOT to build muscle? Why is it a bad thing for women to look strong. I only ask because the first couple of commenters took a "women can do anything men can do" approach to the thread and then it went south...."women can do anything men can do....oh except build muscle...but who wants to LOOK like you can lift weights anyway?" Well actually a LOT of women do. There is a whole world of professional female bodybuilders out there and I love lifting. If you want to look like a dying waif, starve yourself and do nothing but cardio. I'd prefer to look as healthy and strong as I am.
  • violajunerose
    violajunerose Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As for the OP, Let her devise her own workout routine. She's not five. And if she's treating herself like she's five, then the advice you need to give her is "as an adult female human being, I feel you should think (and post) for yourself".
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why some people are getting pissed off if I asked normal question. First off i am not telling her to workout. Its her choice and secondly you are noone to judge on the relationship we have

I came here for help and most of them here are doing nothing but just flaming me. Please keep yourself out if you don't want to help and keep the relationship advice away as this is fitness forum

The goal is obvious which is weight loss. She is not into sports or anything. Its just general fitness

Those who replied in positive way, thanks for the help :)

@tillerstouch you nailed it. Yes she is inexperienced and doesn't have an account here and also her English isn't that good(Not saying mine is good enough but still).

I'm sorry that your thread got side tracked
    And understand that your girlfriend may be a beginner.
    When I first started, programs like nrolfw or stronglifts 5x5 where great. Tell her to look into them. She'll be able to pull up step by step guides that will show her exactly what she needs to be doing.
    If her goal is weight loss, then tell her that she must eat at a calorie deficit. For weight loss, one must be at a calorie deficit. Calories in - calories out. All she needs to do is eat less then she burns.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why some people are getting pissed off if I asked normal question. First off i am not telling her to workout. Its her choice and secondly you are noone to judge on the relationship we have

I came here for help and most of them here are doing nothing but just flaming me. Please keep yourself out if you don't want to help and keep the relationship advice away as this is fitness forum

The goal is obvious which is weight loss. She is not into sports or anything. Its just general fitness

@tillerstouch you nailed it. Yes she is inexperienced and doesn't have an account here and also her English isn't that good(Not saying mine is good enough but still).

How are people supposed to know her goals if you didn't put it in the OP? :huh:
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to build muscle yes, as a woman you CAN build muscle. In fact most of the women I see lifting at the gym build muscle faster than men do and on lower weights. Most of them are lifting 30 and 40 lbs but they have huge muscle definition compared to guys who are lifting 300 lbs 50 times and still rocking the spaghetti noodle arms.

What kind of bizarro world do you live in where women have bigger muscles than men?
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In what way do you think 'female training' would be different?

It's pretty obvious. Women and men's bodies are different. I don't understand all the hate against the OP.

Just because it's PC to say that women and men are equal doesn't mean that they are. Have the men's olympic soccer team play the women's olympic soccer team. The women will get smoked.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

It's pretty obvious. Women and men's bodies are different. I don't understand all the hate against the OP.

Just because it's PC to say that women and men are equal doesn't mean that they are. Have the men's olympic soccer team play the women's olympic soccer team. The women will get smoked.

For weight though most of the best programs work for both genders and a lot of the women's only ones (except ones like strong curves, nrolfw, etc) aren't that great
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm not talking about strength, but in terms of training, in what way does the women's soccer team train DIFFERENTLY to the mens?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

No-one said the body said male and female bodies were the same. The functionality is identical so why would the training differ? Less weight same routine similar results. Pretty simple really.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Monday - pink dumbbells, eleventy million reps.
    Tuesday - abductor/adductor machine.
    Wednesday - legs, bums, tums and unreasonable expectations class.
    Thursday - light shopping.
    Friday - cookery class.

Weekend - surgery to replace her uterus after it fell out while lifting the vacuum cleaner.

I literally just snorted
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Monday - pink dumbbells, eleventy million reps.
    Tuesday - abductor/adductor machine.
    Wednesday - legs, bums, tums and unreasonable expectations class.
    Thursday - light shopping.
    Friday - cookery class.

Weekend - surgery to replace her uterus after it fell out while lifting the vacuum cleaner.

You sir, win the internet.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    So my girlfriend wants to workout with me . Her weight is 85 KG and she is 5'3 tall.

Right now I am following the following routine for myself
    Mon - Chest and Triceps
    Tues - Back and Biceps
    Wed - Legs and Shoulders
    and repeat

Should I put her on the same programme?

The diet part is taken care by her but I am not sure how female training works.

how is that a routine? you're just listing body parts and days of the week. and you're doing upper body nearly three times as often as you do legs.

He saying he does a push pull legs split which is extremely common for body builders. It's very simplistic to think of the waist up as a whole. As back is pulling chest is pushing different motions, so it's actually a pretty balanced split.

OP from my experience my gf used to lift with me and she would do the exact same programs I was doing, which were pretty heavy volume with compound and isolated lifts. She didn't have any particular goals she just wanted to lift and spend time with me. She gained some serious strength but didn't bulk.

First you need to see if you gf has specific goals like other have said. If her goal is just general fitness/to workout with you then she can do whatever program you are doing.

I agree with @Capt_Apollo, this really isn't a routine. Its a workout plan with a little structure, yes body builders train in a similar vain but don't be so naive to believe a well trained body builder would explain their "routine" in such a way. Yes they split sessions into push/pull/legs but that's probably as far as the similarities go, a BB plan is far more complicated and extensive than a 3 day rotation.
    That said, nothing wrong with the way you are training as long as you're enjoying it OP and taking adequate rest, the way you've worded it suggests otherwise but that is probably the language barrier like you've mention. If you are training together its best to stick with something pretty similar to your training partner, if she likes the look of it and it suits here goal, just reduce weight and possibly increase reps. Like someone mentioned, BB train in a similar fashion and I'd take a guess that is not her current fitness goal.
    Alternatively, there are lots of great starter programs online that you both might enjoy starting together, even if its a 12 week plan just to have you girl get with the routine.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If her primary goal is weight loss (as opposed to building muscle or strength), then I suggest a program that's heavily cardio based (say, 80% of the time on cardio and 20% on lifting). A person can be strong and still be fat (we've all seen them at the gym). Don't confuse the goals and waste her time focusing on the 'wrong' goal.

At 5'3" and 85kg, that's obese and women at high body fat should not worry about losing muscle because majority of weight loss will be body fat. If her diet is on point and she's aware of how many calories she's consuming, then she simply needs to concentrate on calorie expenditure to maximize calorie deficit. And cardio will be more efficient at burning most calories.

At her weight and level of unfitness, you want to minimize risk of injury so I would not advise running. Try stuff like brisk walking or hiking on hilly terrain or even treadmill at a high-ish incline, OR, elliptical with high resistance, OR cycling, spinning etc. These are all low impact but provide a way to torch maximum calories (compared to lifting). She needs to find something she enjoys and can stick with. Adherence and consistency is the cornerstone of weight loss and maintenance.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

OP, I am going to suggest that you post questions related to exercise in the Fitness and Exercise section.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Good god. So much snark on this thread. People come asking for advice. They might not be as articulate, or "in the know" as some, or explain a situation well, but geesh people, if you can't offer some constructive advice, control yourself and find your entertainment elsewhere. Kudos to those who are actually helpful on this thread. SMDH.

Kudos for the snarkiest post on the entire thread

Doubtful. I think it's less snark and more calling people out for kind of hating on someone just looking for advice.

EDIT- That's not so say I don't enjoy well placed snarky comments, and I'm prone to sarcasm myself; I just don't care for people who denigrate or make fun of those who are trying to learn something. Personal preference of course.