MFP Women!! Quick 10 minutes arms work out that you saw results with in few months?

2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There isn't one. You cannot spot reduce.

Not spot reduce just improve the muscles

It doesn't work that way.

What are you talking about? You're saying targeting a specific muscle group will not build that muscle?

I have never seen a 10-minute workout where the results are anything significant.

My deadlift workout lasts 10 minutes. I do it twice per week. I hold a world record in the World Powerlifting Congress for deadlift only.

10 minutes is better than zero. 10 minutes can lead to 20, 30, 60+.

Can I see your deadlift workout?

It's really just squats and deadlifts.

If you're looking to get in shape there are lots of great programs out there. It would improve the whole body, which would include arms. I like some of the ones on Bodybuilding.com since they have videos for nearly everything.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    arm curls

and you can't spot reduce, but you can focus on specific body parts, if you want...

end thread/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

What are you talking about? You're saying targeting a specific muscle group will not build that muscle?

I have never seen a 10-minute workout where the results are anything significant.

My deadlift workout lasts 10 minutes. I do it twice per week. I hold a world record in the World Powerlifting Congress for deadlift only.

10 minutes is better than zero. 10 minutes can lead to 20, 30, 60+.

Agreed, but a deadlift is a full body lift, and I agree OP would do better in a full body workout situation, not just an arm workout.

It's still only two moves and takes 10 minutes. If she wants to spend 10 minutes on arms that's a start. I started out spending 10 minutes doing arms with no other lifting and now I'm a competitive bodybuilder. A 10 minute arm routine is more than enough to make a significant impact on arms, especially for a beginner.
  • ndj1979

why doesn't it work that way?

person A does nothing; person B does ten minutes, which person is going to see an improvement in strength?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why doesn't it work that way?

person A does nothing; person B does ten minutes, which person is going to see an improvement in strength?

Experience tells me you will not get a response.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I have nice arms from yoga, but am lean so any muscle shows.

Pushups and pullups and chin-ups and dips seem like plenty enough to make muscles in the arms, and are good for your whole body. Just rotate through those, 10 min pushups one day, 10 min tricep pushups next day, 10 min dips next day, and so on, on 6th day do something that uses all the little muscles in the shoulder so you don't just develop the big muscles, so plank to side plank, and plank to down dog and up dog, and "stir the pot" moves with light weights if you have them, or a half gallon water bottle works ok if you don't.

That's what I'd do, anyway, if I only had 10 minutes for arms.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    robininfl wrote: »

Pushups and pullups and chin-ups and dips seem like plenty enough to make muscles in the arms, and are good for your whole body. Just rotate through those, 10 min pushups one day, 10 min tricep pushups next day, 10 min dips next day, and so on, on 6th day do something that uses all the little muscles in the shoulder so you don't just develop the big muscles, so plank to side plank, and plank to down dog and up dog, and "stir the pot" moves with light weights if you have them, or a half gallon water bottle works ok if you don't.

Thanks Robin!
  • ndj1979

you wont "make muscle" with that workout unless you are in a caloric surplus and even then ten minutes is pretty minimum, so I doubt that is enough stimulus to produce significant muscle...
  • robininfl

you wont "make muscle" with that workout unless you are in a caloric surplus and even then ten minutes is pretty minimum, so I doubt that is enough stimulus to produce significant muscle...

She may not need to produce significant muscle to see a difference though. I should take a picture, I guess, but if there isn't a lot of fat, the arms can look shapely and defined without a lot of mass. I got from scarecrow arms to good thin muscled arms with only bodyweight exercises. More than 10 minutes a day of exercise total, sure, but I am not sure I spend more than 10 minutes total holding my weight up with my arms.

She can start where she is, basically. If today what she has is 10 minutes and no equipment then use those 10 minutes and her body, right? *you* can't make muscles in your arms by doing that stuff, because you are stronger than that to start. I'm not, and I am guessing OP is not.
  • ndj1979

She may not need to produce significant muscle to see a difference though. I should take a picture, I guess, but if there isn't a lot of fat, the arms can look shapely and defined without a lot of mass. I got from scarecrow arms to good thin muscled arms with only bodyweight exercises. More than 10 minutes a day of exercise total, sure, but I am not sure I spend more than 10 minutes total holding my weight up with my arms.

She can start where she is, basically. If today what she has is 10 minutes and no equipment then use those 10 minutes and her body, right? *you* can't make muscles in your arms by doing that stuff, because you are stronger than that to start. I'm not, and I am guessing OP is not.

more than likely you lost body fat and it showed the muscle that you already had ....

strength and muscle gains are not the same thing...

you can get stronger without adding any additional muscle mass by simply training your muscle to work more efficiently. You add mass through progressive overload coupled with a calorie surplus, or by doing a recomp over a long period of time.

It has nothing to do with what *I* can do and everything to do with what physics and nutritional science says we all can do...
  • robininfl

more than likely you lost body fat and it showed the muscle that you already had ....

strength and muscle gains are not the same thing...

you can get stronger without adding any additional muscle mass by simply training your muscle to work more efficiently. You add mass through progressive overload coupled with a calorie surplus, or by doing a recomp over a long period of time.

It has nothing to do with what *I* can do and everything to do with what physics and nutritional science says we all can do...

Nah, my body fat as a % stayed about the same, so in an absolute sense I have more now, not less, but not by much. I was skinny to start (5'9" 123lb) and arms (and legs) are bigger in inches now, I'm more than 10lb heavier so it's definitely additional muscle. Obviously I did eat at a small surplus, yes, or could not have added the weight. But mostly just changed workouts from Jazzercise to jogging and yoga classes. I can see and feel muscles now that I did not have before, and do things now that I could not before. I can lift me, I could not do that before.

I will say, though, that it took over 2 years to get here. So months? Maybe not. I don't remember if I saw difference in only a couple months.

I am lifting weights now, but only started that a couple of months ago and haven't been serious or consistent about it yet. From skinny to lean and muscled happened without lifting anything heavier than me.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    I appreciate all the knowledge on here! I believe lifting weights for 10 minutes is going to make a difference even if it is a very tiny difference in my arms that i am the only one that is going to notice. I am going from zero minutes zero weights to 10 minutes and at least 3-5 lbs weights. All I was looking for is a routine that is a good start for me. I am sure with time it is going to be addictive and I want to do more. It is that simple! Enjoy the rest of your day or night :) !!