Dietary Fat vs Body Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I try to take in about 10% of my calories from fat on a 1330 calorie diet (before exercise). I work out 1-2 hours per day so I feel like I need the carbs and protein. Is this number too low? If so, should I cut on protein (50%) or carbs?
    It should be noted that I am planning on changing my macros within the next couple weeks because I realize that my diet isn't really sustainable long term.

Why so low on the calories?

Goal is 2 lbs per week. I eat back all of my exercise calories.

Your food diary isn't viewable. How many grams of fat do you eat once you factor in your exercise calories? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? How old are you? You can really cause some issues if you are truly only eating 10% of your calories from dietary fat. 13-15 grams of fat is nothing. The recommended amount is not lower than 20%, but there are recommendations for 30%, even higher depending on your age, diet and caloric needs. On a deficit diet, at 20% or lower you can experience significant, and sometimes irreversible effects.

Fat is an ESSENTIAL macronutrient. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat, and lowering fat intake to 15 grams a day is dangerous. I would increase fats and lower carbs and protein accordingly.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I try to take in about 10% of my calories from fat on a 1330 calorie diet (before exercise). I work out 1-2 hours per day so I feel like I need the carbs and protein. Is this number too low? If so, should I cut on protein (50%) or carbs?
    It should be noted that I am planning on changing my macros within the next couple weeks because I realize that my diet isn't really sustainable long term.

Why so low on the calories?

Goal is 2 lbs per week. I eat back all of my exercise calories.

Your food diary isn't viewable. How many grams of fat do you eat once you factor in your exercise calories? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? How old are you? You can really cause some issues if you are truly only eating 10% of your calories from dietary fat. 13-15 grams of fat is nothing. The recommended amount is not lower than 20%, but there are recommendations for 30%, even higher depending on your age, diet and caloric needs. On a deficit diet, at 20% or lower you can experience significant, and sometimes irreversible effects.

Fat is an ESSENTIAL macronutrient. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat, and lowering fat intake to 15 grams a day is dangerous. I would increase fats and lower carbs and protein accordingly.

Well I haven't been doing a very good job meeting my goals (luckily, I suppose.) I just find it REALLY hard to get significant protein without fat without eating chicken and drinking protein shakes only. I eat anywhere from 50 - 70 grams of fat per day. I'm 5'6" 171 and 24 years old.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Now you can stop worrying about having fat with your protein. As long as your protein is from healthy sources and not processed junk you will be fine eating fat. The biggest factor of a western diet that is the problem is an abundance of refined carbs that don't keep you full very long and you get into a cycle of over eating.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't been doing a very good job meeting my goals (luckily, I suppose.) I just find it REALLY hard to get significant protein without fat without eating chicken and drinking protein shakes only. I eat anywhere from 50 - 70 grams of fat per day. I'm 5'6" 171 and 24 years old.
    [/quote]

Don't fear the fat!! I thought you said you try to get 10% of your calories from fat? 50-70 grams, depending on caloric intake, is a good range, well over 10%. I'm confused now... (you do know that 1 gram of fat = 9 calories, right?)
  • scottaworley
    Options

Don't fear the fat!! I thought you said you try to get 10% of your calories from fat? 50-70 grams, depending on caloric intake, is a good range, well over 10%. I'm confused now... (you do know that 1 gram of fat = 9 calories, right?)
    [/quote]
    TRY being the key word :). In reality it's been hovering around 20%, but (until today) I've made bigger efforts every day to continue to get it down.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, GNC employees aren't that knowledgeable about nutrition.

Asking a GNC employee about nutrition is like asking one of the 18 year olds who work at Menard's for advice about tool usage.

"I need a 2 inch flange for my flux capacitor."
    "uhhh ... What's a flange?"

(Menard's is a hardware store chain BTW :))
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Unfortunately, GNC employees aren't that knowledgeable about nutrition.

Asking a GNC employee about nutrition is like asking one of the 18 year olds who work at Menard's for advice about tool usage.

"I need a 2 inch flange for my flux capacitor."
    "uhhh ... What's a flange?"

(Menard's is a hardware store chain BTW :))

Hahaha I went in for some protein powder and started talking about other things. I've met one guy at GNC who is actually really pretty knowledgeable, and I like him alot.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the least useful macronutrient. It provides nothing but calories. Fat however is required by the body (ever heard of essential fatty acids) and is needed for fat soluble vitamins to be absorbed