how much protein is too much protein?

MFP puts my goal at 74g of protein per day and I usually have no problem eating this much protein daily. I recently did a calculation as part of a program my crossfit box started and it's saying I should eat 140g per day. I have never eaten this much protein. I just started crossfit and go about 3x per week and try to walk on the days I don't go. I'm also very busy with a second job and finishing my Bachelor's degree. Is that too much protein?

Replies

• biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    No, I wish I could eat that much protein. It's hard without protein shakes etc.
  • dxp232
    dxp232 Posts: 28 Member
    1 gram per pound is fairly common and your body will flush out what it cant use anyway so not too many issues with going over as long as you dont struggle to hit the numbers...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    There really isn't an upper limit. And what your body doesn't use, it will convert to glucose. But 140g might be more than you need but if you do eat that much, you will be fine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you don't know your Body fat %, a good guideline is a minimum of 0.8 gram per lb of goal weight, and more is fine. If you don't have any Kidney issues too much protein would probably be an amount that does not allow you to meet your fat, carb, vitamin and mineral goals.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    I supplement with protein shakes for snacks on my lifting days. I generally don't eat a meal until after working out, because I feel too full to move. The protein shake is my drawbridge to get the protein I need in before the workout. About 75 mins before. I even have reminders set up so I don't forget.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Thank you all! I think I'll have to supplement somewhere, too. I don't eat meat often, but try to have protein in the other things I eat.
  • rempejeff
    rempejeff Posts: 46 Member
    What ever your weight is. Is how much protein you need to take daily.
  • ashleyShades
    rempejeff wrote: »

okay... that's a lot. I weigh a lot hahaha
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member

I need 165 lbs of protein per day?!? I'd need to eat 634 lbs of 85/15 beef (if my math is right) to get that much protein in a day. I simply can't eat that much! 1/2 cow... EVERY DAY!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    The RDA for adequate protein for most adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight. That's about 46 grams of protein per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and 56 grams for men.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).

Personally, I aim for about 70 grams per day which falls between adequate and optimal but works for me.
  • ashleyShades
    WBB55 wrote: »

I need 165 lbs of protein per day?!? I'd need to eat 634 lbs of 85/15 beef (if my math is right) to get that much protein in a day. I simply can't eat that much! 1/2 cow... EVERY DAY!

I'm 245 currently yikessss
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016

LBM, not weight, and what I've seen is that it's more like .8 of that. .65-.85 g/lb GOAL weight is sufficient to preserve muscle mass while exercising on a deficit. I'm 125 and aim for about 105. I aimed for a little more when heavier (because I find it helpful for appetite control when on a deficit), but not a lot more.
  • erickirb
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

LBM, not weight, and what I've seen is that it's more like .8 of that. .65-.85 g/lb GOAL weight is sufficient to preserve muscle mass while exercising on a deficit.

The responder didn't say grams per lb, they said eat what you weigh. That was the poster's error.
  • cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    The 0.8-1g / lb of body weight is a recommended amount. Not a hard and fast rule.

Another way to look at it is:
    Carbohydrate provides 4 calories per gram.
    Protein provides 4 calories per gram.
    Fat provides 9 calories per gram.

So set your daily caloric intake goal. Then calculate the ratios of your macros.
    Eating 245g of protein a day would nearly 1000 calories by itself. Protein is very satieting, it's very difficult to eat this much protein in a day. It'd be like almost eating 5.5 chicken breasts a day.

Just set your target goal and adjust your ratios.
  • erickirb
    edited June 2016
    seska422 wrote: »
    The RDA for adequate protein for most adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight. That's about 46 grams of protein per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and 56 grams for men.

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).

Personally, I aim for about 70 grams per day which falls between adequate and optimal but works for me.

that goal per KG is for a sedentary adult eating maintenance. If you workout or are in a deficit you required more, much more! so you don't risk a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle.
    70 grams seems really low, unless you are eating maintenance and are in the 95-110 lb range.
  • seska422
    edited June 2016
    erickirb wrote: »

that goal per KG is for a sedentary adult eating maintenance. If you workout or are in a deficit you required more, much more! so you don't risk a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle.

No, it's for 97-98% of everybody in each group. 56 grams would be adequate for 97-98% of all males, likely including most non-professional bodybuilders and dieters.

It's good to get a bit more than that but there's no reason to go overboard.
  • erickirb
    cwang125 wrote: »
    The 0.8-1g / lb of body weight is a recommended amount. Not a hard and fast rule.

Another way to look at it is:
    Carbohydrate provides 4 calories per gram.
    Protein provides 4 calories per gram.
    Fat provides 9 calories per gram.

So set your daily caloric intake goal. Then calculate the ratios of your macros.
    Eating 245g of protein a day would nearly 1000 calories by itself. Protein is very satieting, it's very difficult to eat this much protein in a day. It'd be like almost eating 5.5 chicken breasts a day.

Just set your target goal and adjust your ratios.

That suggestion is per lb of lean body mass. I typically say if you don't know your BF% or LBM then aim for 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight.
  • erickirb

No, it's for 97-98% of everybody in each group. 56 grams would be adequate for 97-98% of all males, likely including most non-professional bodybuilders and dieters.

It may be a min, def not an adequate!
  • seska422

It may be a min, def not an adequate!

The government says that it is.
  • ashleyShades
    70 grams seems really low, unless you are eating maintenance and are in the 95-110 lb range.

I'm going to work on getting this much protein