Work in Progress/Post Bulk Pics

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    How long did you bulk for? I'm currently bulking myself at the moment. I started at 151lbs, started a cut to 136 lbs but I felt and looked weak. It's been a month and a week since I've been off of my cut and into a bulk and I've gone back up to 141. Granted some may have been initial water retention and weight from increasing carbs. But it's mentally challenging for sure. I'm not quite sure when I'm going to stop bulking- hence why I'm curious!

I bought some new pants at the end of my cut, because I was holding out and everything was just saggy, and I don't think they're going to fit me in a month LOL.

I started in November and quit about exactly the middle of March. I wanted to push it all the way to April and felt like a quitter BUT it was just too much..I was a chubster and was starting to get nervous, especially since it was my first bulk. So 4.5 months. I gained fast but I think a good 4-5lbs was initial water weight, plus I had Thanksgiving, xmas, new years, the super bowl...and I was bulking on 2000 calories. That feels like nothing when you're training hard so I think I was over eating as well.

My pants that I bought at the end of my cut most DEFINITELY did not fit or fit well at the end of the bulk. In fact, I still dread trying them on. Buy stretchy clothes and some sweat pants lol.

I gained quickly as well! My weight has been going up a pound a week, I can't tell how much is actually water retention. I was maintaining weight on 195C/50F/140P = 1790 calories for two weeks. Then two weeks ago I moved to 220C/55F/135P = 1915 calories and I've gained a pound each week haha. I'm hesitant to cut the difference of the macros and try that for slower weight gain. It's hard going from leaner and cut to the reverse. I do love the food though! Ice cream for days. I mean I ate ice cream before, but now I can have more haha. I'm taking my measurements for the first time since I started bulking this weekend, I'm curious to see where these 5 lbs went to. My back and those love handles hold out the most fat. Can't wait to slim those bad boys down.

How much did you drop calorie wise from the 2k bulk?

And yes I will be going for these jeggings! No more normal jeans haha. I think I'm going to end up having "bulk" and "lean" set clothing.

A 150 calorie increase wouldn't be a 1 lb per week gain. So you can be assured it's glycogen/water.

Logic told me the same thing, I'm just getting mental about it. Hold steady on the macros and keep watching the trend then, you think? Ideally I was hoping I would be able to break the 2k calories for a bulk!

Honestly if you are maintaining at 1800 i would bulk at 2050 to 2200. Being yout first bulk you have potential to gain a bit more. But its definitely a mental game and you need to trust to process.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You look great. I've been on a prolonged bulk for about 8 months because I ate at near maintenance too often after not meeting the planned frequency of training each muscle group twice a week. I began at 163 lbs and am now 189. My abs and obliques sent me a greeting card recently saying they miss the sun.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Nice job!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    looking good girl! I am glad you finally decided to bulk after being told to do so a million times! :)

Thank you! I was nervous. I didn't see a thin/lean person at 128...still saw a fat girl. I was happy to have you guys supporting me.
  • arditarose
    Options
    You look great. I've been on a prolonged bulk for about 8 months because I ate at near maintenance too often after not meeting the planned frequency of training each muscle group twice a week. I began at 163 lbs and am now 189. My abs and obliques sent me a greeting card recently saying they miss the sun.

Get to training my man!
  • geekyjock76
    Options

Get to training my man!

Yes, mam! Although this isn't my longest bulk, I am ready to be done with it.
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    I like your proportions and symmetry, including your legs. For bulk pics, you look mighty terrific and have a wonderful shape/physique. Honestly, you shouldn't have felt nervous about your front at all. B)
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Really well done! I am very jealous! I am about your height and weight (5'5", 143-145 lbs) but carry much more fat and much less muscle than you, and thus look a ton bigger (not in a good way)!

I am currently trying to cut down to about 130 and not having much luck with any type of muscle gain despite 6 months of lifting, so suspect I may have to bulk once I get leaner.

How long have you been lifting for? What calories are you on now? Do you do any cardio type exercise or just lifting?

Have you also been in a deficit all 6 months? I gained most of my muscle in maintenance and surplus. I think I had some newbie gains in the very beginning when I was fat, dieting, and lifting--but those are minimal for almost everyone, including myself. I also have no way to prove this.

I've been lifting for 2 years. I eat about 1800-1900 to maintain. I do have hopes that I might maintain on a little more at the moment so I'm trying a slow cut at 1680. Zero cardio.

Well, first, I would be really happy to look like your post-bulk pictures, so you have nothing to be worried about!

I have been cutting for that 6 months, since January, and have lost 20 pounds. I got really fat after having babies. I eat ~1500 calories and run about 10 miles a week in addition to 3 days of lifting. I can obviously see that I've lost weight, but don't see anything near the same amount of muscle definition you have in all of your pictures. I'm just not sure how much longer I should cut or how lean I should get.

I had 130 in my head as a reasonable number, but now looking at your pictures, I think you are much much leaner at 128 than I would be at 130. I was below 120 in this picture and don't have nearly the bone/muscle definition that you have at 128. My hands are bony irrespective of weight, but the rest of my upper body is really not, and I can assure you that my lower body was even more fluffy even at that weight. So does that mean I'll have to go to like 115 before I can start to actually gain muscle? That is sort of depressing.

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

Do you have any idea of your body fat % at any of these times? How long were you cutting before you hit 128?

Sorry for the book, but I really admire your physique and all the hard work you've put in!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Really well done! I am very jealous! I am about your height and weight (5'5", 143-145 lbs) but carry much more fat and much less muscle than you, and thus look a ton bigger (not in a good way)!

I am currently trying to cut down to about 130 and not having much luck with any type of muscle gain despite 6 months of lifting, so suspect I may have to bulk once I get leaner.

How long have you been lifting for? What calories are you on now? Do you do any cardio type exercise or just lifting?

Have you also been in a deficit all 6 months? I gained most of my muscle in maintenance and surplus. I think I had some newbie gains in the very beginning when I was fat, dieting, and lifting--but those are minimal for almost everyone, including myself. I also have no way to prove this.

I've been lifting for 2 years. I eat about 1800-1900 to maintain. I do have hopes that I might maintain on a little more at the moment so I'm trying a slow cut at 1680. Zero cardio.

Well, first, I would be really happy to look like your post-bulk pictures, so you have nothing to be worried about!

I have been cutting for that 6 months, since January, and have lost 20 pounds. I got really fat after having babies. I eat ~1500 calories and run about 10 miles a week in addition to 3 days of lifting. I can obviously see that I've lost weight, but don't see anything near the same amount of muscle definition you have in all of your pictures. I'm just not sure how much longer I should cut or how lean I should get.

I had 130 in my head as a reasonable number, but now looking at your pictures, I think you are much much leaner at 128 than I would be at 130. I was below 120 in this picture and don't have nearly the bone/muscle definition that you have at 128. My hands are bony irrespective of weight, but the rest of my upper body is really not, and I can assure you that my lower body was even more fluffy even at that weight. So does that mean I'll have to go to like 115 before I can start to actually gain muscle? That is sort of depressing.

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

Do you have any idea of your body fat % at any of these times? How long were you cutting before you hit 128?

Sorry for the book, but I really admire your physique and all the hard work you've put in!

If you've been cutting for 6 months I mean, don't expect muscle gain. You should be starting to show definition as you lose fat but ultimately that will depend on how much muscle you already have. I always had kind of active jobs in my early 20s and was a relatively strong fat person, so I think I had a decent base to start with.

I'll say that 130 wasn't cutting it for me. I barely thought I was lean enough at 128 but my body couldn't take the deficit anymore. I lost my libido and felt like crap.

I'd say don't tell yourself you need to get to a certain weight at the moment, because it's stressful. Take measurements, take pictures, watch your body fat% and *kitten* as you go. When your ready, post pictures to have some people guess your body fat %. Also don't rule out a recomp.

I had been cutting on and off for 2 years before the bulk. I don't know my body fat in the pictures but I had the go ahead to bulk from a lot of people so I assume it was around 20% when I started. My coach said that I am about 20% at the moment as well.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

If you've been cutting for 6 months I mean, don't expect muscle gain. You should be starting to show definition as you lose fat but ultimately that will depend on how much muscle you already have. I always had kind of active jobs in my early 20s and was a relatively strong fat person, so I think I had a decent base to start with.

I'll say that 130 wasn't cutting it for me. I barely thought I was lean enough at 128 but my body couldn't take the deficit anymore. I lost my libido and felt like crap.

I'd say don't tell yourself you need to get to a certain weight at the moment, because it's stressful. Take measurements, take pictures, watch your body fat% and *kitten* as you go. When your ready, post pictures to have some people guess your body fat %. Also don't rule out a recomp.

I had been cutting on and off for 2 years before the bulk. I don't know my body fat in the pictures but I had the go ahead to bulk from a lot of people so I assume it was around 20% when I started. My coach said that I am about 20% at the moment as well.

Thanks! Yeah, I knew I couldn't expect a ton of muscle gain, but I was hoping to get some "newbie gains" that people always talk about. But not me, apparently! I don't think I've ever had much muscle, so there's nothing to show as I lose fat even. Based on my estimate that I am over 30% body fat now, I would have to get down to at least 125 to be 20%. Based on my past history of being that weight for a while in my 20s, I bet I would have to go even lower. I think I'm just getting a little fatigued of dieting and such. Just seems so far off even though I know I've made progress so far.

So you were cutting and lifting for 2 years to get to your first picture? Do you think it was the deficit or the low body fat that made you feel bad? Honestly, some days I feel pretty bad and worn out lately and I don't know if it's just me and crazy life or if eating a little more would help.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, I knew I couldn't expect a ton of muscle gain, but I was hoping to get some "newbie gains" that people always talk about. But not me, apparently! I don't think I've ever had much muscle, so there's nothing to show as I lose fat even. Based on my estimate that I am over 30% body fat now, I would have to get down to at least 125 to be 20%. Based on my past history of being that weight for a while in my 20s, I bet I would have to go even lower. I think I'm just getting a little fatigued of dieting and such. Just seems so far off even though I know I've made progress so far.

arditarose and I have been comparing ourselves a bit because we're both a pear shape on a 5'4 frame. You sound a lot like me though in that I started off at 157lbs and about 30% fat (much higher than her). Where she was lean at 128lbs, I am now sitting at 115-116 and look about like she did. I thought 125-120 would be enough but it wasn't for me. Don't get discouraged though. It's taken me a whole year to lose 40lbs, but Ive had a lot of fun along the way...gotten stronger and all that good stuff.

And I assure you that you have muscle underneath the fat layer! LOL! I now have a hint of abs, which in all my years...I never knew were there. Do as she suggested and take lots of pics, measurements, monitor your weight, and keep on lifting heavy. It'll get there.

• MacBoyy97
    MacBoyy97 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Looking thick! Nice work :smiley:
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the front pics. You've added some solid LBM as part of your bulk. Good job!!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

So you were cutting and lifting for 2 years to get to your first picture? Do you think it was the deficit or the low body fat that made you feel bad? Honestly, some days I feel pretty bad and worn out lately and I don't know if it's just me and crazy life or if eating a little more would help.

Just to put it in perspective, women can only gain about a pound of muscle per month, and that's under optimal conditions like a progressive lifting program and a caloric surplus. Don't be discouraged, building muscle as a female takes time and effort. In the mean time, take progress pictures and start recording your PRs. I think you'll be surprised at how much your body can change and how much you can begin to lift.
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    Just to inject some optimism into the topic, the few studies which measured rates of gain of muscle cross section area between women vs men demonstrated women experienced an average 0.14% gain per day vs 0.13% gain per day for men. So even though total gains are less due to baseline lean mass between sexes, there's hope ;)
  • arditarose
    Options

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

Wait I said that wrong. I cut for a year, then maintained for a few months and tried a recomp. That wasn't for me so I spent another few months cutting from 133 to 128. Not two years. It was a combination of the deficit, low fat intake, all while trying to lift heavy *kitten* weights and maintain a social life that made me feel badd.

What is your deficit like?
  • arditarose
    Options
    <--I dropped down to 137 again this morning and feel pretty confident flexed. I think I'll take it down to 133. I have that power lifting competition in September and don't want to lose strength. It might be better to stay toward the top of my weight class even...we'll see.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    <--I dropped down to 137 again this morning and feel pretty confident flexed. I think I'll take it down to 133. I have that power lifting competition in September and don't want to lose strength. It might be better to stay toward the top of my weight class even...we'll see.

Nice! Can you maintain strength going to 133? How much can you lift on the big 3 lifts?
  • arditarose
    Options

Nice! Can you maintain strength going to 133? How much can you lift on the big 3 lifts?

If things keep going the way they are now, I should be able to. I honestly can't tell you my 1rms at the moment because of the way my training is going but at the meet I definitely should be squatting over 200, probably not more than 215. Deadlift should be above 250. Bench...ehhh, can't say at the moment, between 105-115 probably.