Work in Progress/Post Bulk Pics

Options

Replies

• lindsaymbirch
    lindsaymbirch Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You guys have been so nice...I think I feel comfortable enough to share the front. That end of bulk look tho...rough. I honestly don't know if I showed it to anyone yet.

Obviously I still have fat to lose but I'm happy with the overall shape that I'm creating. My goal was to grow the butt (after I had already reduced it 7 inches during my first weight-loss go!), reduce the waist again...I just don't know if I can get the thighs back down or if these suckers are here to stay.
    Weights again: From top left 128, 144, 140

gcdcoyhnp8aw.jpg

You look SO great! The 4lbs seriously made a huge difference. Giving me some inspiration over here.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Really well done! I am very jealous! I am about your height and weight (5'5", 143-145 lbs) but carry much more fat and much less muscle than you, and thus look a ton bigger (not in a good way)!

I am currently trying to cut down to about 130 and not having much luck with any type of muscle gain despite 6 months of lifting, so suspect I may have to bulk once I get leaner.

How long have you been lifting for? What calories are you on now? Do you do any cardio type exercise or just lifting?

Have you also been in a deficit all 6 months? I gained most of my muscle in maintenance and surplus. I think I had some newbie gains in the very beginning when I was fat, dieting, and lifting--but those are minimal for almost everyone, including myself. I also have no way to prove this.

I've been lifting for 2 years. I eat about 1800-1900 to maintain. I do have hopes that I might maintain on a little more at the moment so I'm trying a slow cut at 1680. Zero cardio.

Well, first, I would be really happy to look like your post-bulk pictures, so you have nothing to be worried about!

I have been cutting for that 6 months, since January, and have lost 20 pounds. I got really fat after having babies. I eat ~1500 calories and run about 10 miles a week in addition to 3 days of lifting. I can obviously see that I've lost weight, but don't see anything near the same amount of muscle definition you have in all of your pictures. I'm just not sure how much longer I should cut or how lean I should get.

I had 130 in my head as a reasonable number, but now looking at your pictures, I think you are much much leaner at 128 than I would be at 130. I was below 120 in this picture and don't have nearly the bone/muscle definition that you have at 128. My hands are bony irrespective of weight, but the rest of my upper body is really not, and I can assure you that my lower body was even more fluffy even at that weight. So does that mean I'll have to go to like 115 before I can start to actually gain muscle? That is sort of depressing.

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

Do you have any idea of your body fat % at any of these times? How long were you cutting before you hit 128?

Sorry for the book, but I really admire your physique and all the hard work you've put in!

If you've been cutting for 6 months I mean, don't expect muscle gain. You should be starting to show definition as you lose fat but ultimately that will depend on how much muscle you already have. I always had kind of active jobs in my early 20s and was a relatively strong fat person, so I think I had a decent base to start with.

I'll say that 130 wasn't cutting it for me. I barely thought I was lean enough at 128 but my body couldn't take the deficit anymore. I lost my libido and felt like crap.

I'd say don't tell yourself you need to get to a certain weight at the moment, because it's stressful. Take measurements, take pictures, watch your body fat% and *kitten* as you go. When your ready, post pictures to have some people guess your body fat %. Also don't rule out a recomp.

I had been cutting on and off for 2 years before the bulk. I don't know my body fat in the pictures but I had the go ahead to bulk from a lot of people so I assume it was around 20% when I started. My coach said that I am about 20% at the moment as well.

Thanks! Yeah, I knew I couldn't expect a ton of muscle gain, but I was hoping to get some "newbie gains" that people always talk about. But not me, apparently! I don't think I've ever had much muscle, so there's nothing to show as I lose fat even. Based on my estimate that I am over 30% body fat now, I would have to get down to at least 125 to be 20%. Based on my past history of being that weight for a while in my 20s, I bet I would have to go even lower. I think I'm just getting a little fatigued of dieting and such. Just seems so far off even though I know I've made progress so far.

So you were cutting and lifting for 2 years to get to your first picture? Do you think it was the deficit or the low body fat that made you feel bad? Honestly, some days I feel pretty bad and worn out lately and I don't know if it's just me and crazy life or if eating a little more would help.

Wait I said that wrong. I cut for a year, then maintained for a few months and tried a recomp. That wasn't for me so I spent another few months cutting from 133 to 128. Not two years. It was a combination of the deficit, low fat intake, all while trying to lift heavy *kitten* weights and maintain a social life that made me feel badd.

What is your deficit like?

Thanks! I am averaging about a 1 lb loss per week... So roughly a 500 cal deficit. Some days more and some days less. I have thought of dialing it back to 0.5 lbs/week but am sort of impatient, especially if I want to get to 115 in order to start to build muscle. Have 2 kids and a stressful job so that contributes too!

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Really well done! I am very jealous! I am about your height and weight (5'5", 143-145 lbs) but carry much more fat and much less muscle than you, and thus look a ton bigger (not in a good way)!

I am currently trying to cut down to about 130 and not having much luck with any type of muscle gain despite 6 months of lifting, so suspect I may have to bulk once I get leaner.

How long have you been lifting for? What calories are you on now? Do you do any cardio type exercise or just lifting?

Have you also been in a deficit all 6 months? I gained most of my muscle in maintenance and surplus. I think I had some newbie gains in the very beginning when I was fat, dieting, and lifting--but those are minimal for almost everyone, including myself. I also have no way to prove this.

I've been lifting for 2 years. I eat about 1800-1900 to maintain. I do have hopes that I might maintain on a little more at the moment so I'm trying a slow cut at 1680. Zero cardio.

Well, first, I would be really happy to look like your post-bulk pictures, so you have nothing to be worried about!

I have been cutting for that 6 months, since January, and have lost 20 pounds. I got really fat after having babies. I eat ~1500 calories and run about 10 miles a week in addition to 3 days of lifting. I can obviously see that I've lost weight, but don't see anything near the same amount of muscle definition you have in all of your pictures. I'm just not sure how much longer I should cut or how lean I should get.

I had 130 in my head as a reasonable number, but now looking at your pictures, I think you are much much leaner at 128 than I would be at 130. I was below 120 in this picture and don't have nearly the bone/muscle definition that you have at 128. My hands are bony irrespective of weight, but the rest of my upper body is really not, and I can assure you that my lower body was even more fluffy even at that weight. So does that mean I'll have to go to like 115 before I can start to actually gain muscle? That is sort of depressing.

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

Do you have any idea of your body fat % at any of these times? How long were you cutting before you hit 128?

Sorry for the book, but I really admire your physique and all the hard work you've put in!

If you've been cutting for 6 months I mean, don't expect muscle gain. You should be starting to show definition as you lose fat but ultimately that will depend on how much muscle you already have. I always had kind of active jobs in my early 20s and was a relatively strong fat person, so I think I had a decent base to start with.

I'll say that 130 wasn't cutting it for me. I barely thought I was lean enough at 128 but my body couldn't take the deficit anymore. I lost my libido and felt like crap.

I'd say don't tell yourself you need to get to a certain weight at the moment, because it's stressful. Take measurements, take pictures, watch your body fat% and *kitten* as you go. When your ready, post pictures to have some people guess your body fat %. Also don't rule out a recomp.

I had been cutting on and off for 2 years before the bulk. I don't know my body fat in the pictures but I had the go ahead to bulk from a lot of people so I assume it was around 20% when I started. My coach said that I am about 20% at the moment as well.

Thanks! Yeah, I knew I couldn't expect a ton of muscle gain, but I was hoping to get some "newbie gains" that people always talk about. But not me, apparently! I don't think I've ever had much muscle, so there's nothing to show as I lose fat even. Based on my estimate that I am over 30% body fat now, I would have to get down to at least 125 to be 20%. Based on my past history of being that weight for a while in my 20s, I bet I would have to go even lower. I think I'm just getting a little fatigued of dieting and such. Just seems so far off even though I know I've made progress so far.

arditarose and I have been comparing ourselves a bit because we're both a pear shape on a 5'4 frame. You sound a lot like me though in that I started off at 157lbs and about 30% fat (much higher than her). Where she was lean at 128lbs, I am now sitting at 115-116 and look about like she did. I thought 125-120 would be enough but it wasn't for me. Don't get discouraged though. It's taken me a whole year to lose 40lbs, but Ive had a lot of fun along the way...gotten stronger and all that good stuff.

And I assure you that you have muscle underneath the fat layer! LOL! I now have a hint of abs, which in all my years...I never knew were there. Do as she suggested and take lots of pics, measurements, monitor your weight, and keep on lifting heavy. It'll get there.

Yeah I'm pear shaped too! Even at less than 120 I had pretty thick thighs. I saw your pictures in your other thread you are very very lean! I'm looking forward to seeing your bulk and what you accomplish so I hope you post pictures afterwards.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    <3

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    @arditarose - thank you for sharing this! I have been working on trimming a few pounds to get as lean as possible and then I am going to run a bulk. You look very good at 144 & 140!

I am also pear shaped. I am frustrated to see how lean and shapely my top half is while still having HUGE fat thighs. OMG - the shape of your guads in your profile pic! It is awesome!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

So you were cutting and lifting for 2 years to get to your first picture? Do you think it was the deficit or the low body fat that made you feel bad? Honestly, some days I feel pretty bad and worn out lately and I don't know if it's just me and crazy life or if eating a little more would help.

Wait I said that wrong. I cut for a year, then maintained for a few months and tried a recomp. That wasn't for me so I spent another few months cutting from 133 to 128. Not two years. It was a combination of the deficit, low fat intake, all while trying to lift heavy *kitten* weights and maintain a social life that made me feel badd.

Thanks! I am averaging about a 1 lb loss per week... So roughly a 500 cal deficit. Some days more and some days less. I have thought of dialing it back to 0.5 lbs/week but am sort of impatient, especially if I want to get to 115 in order to start to build muscle. Have 2 kids and a stressful job so that contributes too!

My advice to you...and this comes from learning the hard way. Switch to .5 and get the scale number out of your head. Take measurements, pictures (post them if you're comfortable), and save that MUSCLE.
  • arditarose
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    @arditarose - thank you for sharing this! I have been working on trimming a few pounds to get as lean as possible and then I am going to run a bulk. You look very good at 144 & 140!

I am also pear shaped. I am frustrated to see how lean and shapely my top half is while still having HUGE fat thighs. OMG - the shape of your guads in your profile pic! It is awesome!

Thanks. Yeah I still saw very fatty thighs at 128 but there wasn't much else I could do. When I look back they were not that fatty. That's why it was super helpful to have this particular forum. The ladies on the female bodybuilding section of bb.com are really helpful too.
  • arditarose
    Options

z83ztzfiabse.jpg

Thanks! Once you're relatively lean even 3 pounds makes a difference. It takes me about a decade to lose three pounds lol, but at least there's progress.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Weight is flying off at the moment. Just weighed in at 135.2 and am looking quite a bit more lean than the 140 posted.

Also, since I was hoping to have and do have a few women following this thread, I wanted to post this video just in case some of you haven't listened yet. What Lyle talks about here is REAL, especially if you're lean already. Cutting can be such a mindF and so hard when we're dealing with hormones and fluctuations. I basically gained 5 lbs out of no where and held on to it TIGHT for 3 weeks. It can be so discouraging but you have to trust the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I notice a pretty big difference. You look awesome as always.
    Which lifting program are you using now?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    OMG - the shape of your guads in your profile pic! It is awesome!

I know, right??!!!
  • arditarose
    Options

I finished PHUL and have a DUP (Daily Undulating Periodization) program at the moment. Squat 3x per week, Bench 3x per week, Deadlift 2x per week-all in different sets/rep ranges, based on percentages of my 1rm. I add a day of lower and upper hypertrophy work as well.
  • arditarose
    edited June 2016
    Options

OMG - the shape of your guads in your profile pic! It is awesome!

I know, right??!!!

<3
  • arditarose
    Options

I hear you. My top was so tiny at the end of that cut. Nice 26 in waist I'll probably never get back either :(

At some point you have to let go and bulk. It's not like we are professionals stepping on stage ya know.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I finished PHUL and have a DUP (Daily Undulating Periodization) program at the moment. Squat 3x per week, Bench 3x per week, Deadlift 2x per week-all in different sets/rep ranges, based on percentages of my 1rm. I add a day of lower and upper hypertrophy work as well.

Did you design your program? It sounds really similar to PH3 that I am following now. Congrats on your progress!
  • arditarose
    Options

Did you design your program? It sounds really similar to PH3 that I am following now. Congrats on your progress!

When I first started a DUP I just took a really basic template and programmed it myself. But now I have I have one designed specifically for me. I have only recently heard of the PH3. I'm kind of familiar with PHAT but haven't compared the two. Similar?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    OP is a barbell destroying monster.

Great job =)
  • arditarose
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    OP is a barbell destroying monster.

Great job =)

Rarrr

Thanks! I'm trying.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

When I first started a DUP I just took a really basic template and programmed it myself. But now I have I have one designed specifically for me. I have only recently heard of the PH3. I'm kind of familiar with PHAT but haven't compared the two. Similar?

@arditarose I've never tried PHAT, but just by looking at the template, PH3 is much more focused on the big 3 lifts with programmed weight progression based on your 1RMs but it also includes hypertrophy work. PHAT looks more like a straight bodybuilding workout to me with no specific weight progression and a lot of accessory exercises. I don't think I could do PHAT since those workouts look long and I only have about 45 minutes to lift during my lunch break. I'm in my 3rd round of PH3 now and it's working really well for me.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You look REALLY good. Very inspirational to see the shape taking shape. Super Hot! Keep at it.