Homemade Ice Cream - What did I do wrong?

Options
KaruBlack
KaruBlack Posts: 43 Member
Hello everyone.

I tried to make my own ice cream this week but failed miserably. I'm not sure what I did wrong since I followed the recipe.

2 cups of ice
1/4 cup of milk
2-4 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
blend - add any extra ingredients (eg. cookies, chocolate chips) at the end.
freeze overnight

The original had cream but said I could substitute cream for milk. I also used my ninja blender (this recipe is actually from the ninja company.) So I'm not sure what I did wrong. Turned into a slushie kind of thing and yeah not edible the way ice cream should be. The flavor was there it was just a big mess once I took it out.

So any help on telling me what I did wrong?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Too much ice, not enough milk? Or perhaps not enough stirring while it was freezing.
    It will be icier when made with milk than it would be with cream.

Try stirring it, and freezing it again maybe. It might not have had enough time to freeze. Might take a while depending on the size/shape of the container and how much you made.

I'm just guessing here. You could see what other recipes suggest.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the recipe?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't you need an ice cream maker to churn the mix into ice cream?
  • KaruBlack
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Too much ice, not enough milk? Or perhaps not enough stirring while it was freezing.

Try stirring it, and freezing it again maybe. It might not have had enough time to freeze. Might take a while depending on the size/shape of the container and how much you made.

Pretty much all of the recipes I looked at online stated not to open the container while it is freezing. It was in the freezer since Tuesday and I just tried it today so it definitely had enough time. All of the other recipes would have extra was adding fruit to make it "more healthy" but other than that I was all.
  • KaruBlack
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

it was a part of the ninja blender recipe book. It has a whole bunch and one was ice cream. I thought it would be great to try it and know exactly was in the ice cream, plus I could make it whenever I wanted. ^_^
  • KaruBlack
    Options
    Many of the recipes online just use a blender, no special ice cream maker. I just need to get it to that smooth part so that it's not kinda like ice milk and it doesn't melt so fast. I mean ice cream melts fast but this just melted way too fast.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yeah, there's a reason there's no really good fat-free or sugar-free ice creams. Fat and sugar both greatly affect the texture and density of ice cream, keeping it creamy and soft. When you reduce either it gets icy and hard. Replacing some of the ice or milk with cream or half & half is your best option. But if you want to keep calories low try using something like yogurt the improve texture.

Edited to add: or try making a frozen custard by cooking the milk & sugar with an egg, cooling, then blending with ice.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ice = slush, end of story. Ice cream needs fat and sugar to work and is made even better with egg yolks to add even more fat and emulsify. The original might have been barely passable with the cream, but to remove what little fat it has means ice cubes if not stirred and a slushy if it is.
  • KaruBlack
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a reason there's no really good fat-free or sugar-free ice creams. Fat and sugar both greatly affect the texture and density of ice cream, keeping it creamy and soft. When you reduce either it gets icy and hard. Replacing some of the ice or milk with cream or half & half is your best option. But if you want to keep calories low try using something like yogurt the improve texture.

Edited to add: or try making a frozen custard by cooking the milk & sugar with an egg, cooling, then blending with ice.
    hmm I didn't think about half & half. I just didn't want to use cream since I've never used it and with my luck I would have bought the wrong kind anyway. I'll try that next time.

Also loving that I just found a fellow cat profile pic. ^_^
  • queenliz99
    edited June 2016
    Options
    KaruBlack wrote: »

it was a part of the ninja blender recipe book. It has a whole bunch and one was ice cream. I thought it would be great to try it and know exactly was in the ice cream, plus I could make it whenever I wanted. ^_^

I make homemade ice cream but have never added ice, it's odd to ice.

ETA: That is not much milk either
  • KaruBlack
    Options
    ice = slush, end of story. Ice cream needs fat and sugar to work and is made even better with egg yolks to add even more fat and emulsify. The original might have been barely passable with the cream, but to remove what little fat it has means ice cubes if not stirred and a slushy if it is.

I had the sugar, not sure why the recipe said I could substitute the cream if it's in fact not possible. :neutral:
  • KaruBlack
    Options

how did you make it?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Yes I think the ice is an odd ingredient, too.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

Pretty much all of the recipes I looked at online stated not to open the container while it is freezing. It was in the freezer since Tuesday and I just tried it today so it definitely had enough time. All of the other recipes would have extra was adding fruit to make it "more healthy" but other than that I was all.

I am learning something new haha. My friend once mentioned she stirs hers periodically. But I have not made ice cream before, just repeating what she said. Sorry.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Waaaay too much water, low-fat dairy. I'm not surprised it was a slushy & not ice cream.

Ice cream ingredients generally look like this: 2 quarts half & half cream, 1/2 pint heavy cream, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Another possibility to improve texture: buttermilk. Even low-fat buttermilk has a thick creamy texture. This is used in sherbet....it will change the flavor profile.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I had the sugar, not sure why the recipe said I could substitute the cream if it's in fact not possible. :neutral:

Possibly for a "granita-like" thing?

maxresdefault.jpg

I make ice cream at home very often and I have never seen a single recipe for true ice cream that had ice or water.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I am learning something new haha. My friend once mentioned she stirs hers periodically. But I have not made ice cream before, just repeating what she said. Sorry.

The stirring is a technique for making ice cream by periodically stirring it while it's freezing if you don't have an ice cream maker. If you do, the maker does the stirring for you while it freezes.
  • queenliz99
    Options

how did you make it?

I use a kitchenAid with an ice cream attachment

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/french-vanilla-or-fresh-strawberry-ice-cream

or I found this but haven't tried any of these.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-ice-cream-without-an-ice-cream-machine-171060

• KaruBlack
    Options

no you're good, I'm just stating what I saw online. She may have a good way of making ice cream that works for her. Since I'm such a novice at this I can only go by what I am reading sadly.
  • KaruBlack
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Waaaay too much water, low-fat dairy. I'm not surprised it was a slushy & not ice cream.

Ice cream ingredients generally look like this: 2 quarts half & half cream, 1/2 pint heavy cream, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Another possibility to improve texture: buttermilk. Even low-fat buttermilk has a thick creamy texture. This is used in sherbet....it will change the flavor profile.

I was only making enough for two servings, those quantities look like something for way more people. Also I used whole milk, not low-fat milk. Can't stand low-fat milk. But even with those ingredients is that using a blender or an ice cream maker?