Homemade Ice Cream - What did I do wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• KaruBlack
    KaruBlack Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

THanks! I'll look at those real quick. But that's strange that it seems these ingredients are rare to use. I saw a few like this that added milk and ice and others that tried to make the ice cream waaay too healthy. Some also used frozen fruit in place of ice.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    KaruBlack wrote: »

THanks! I'll look at those real quick. But that's strange that it seems these ingredients are rare to use. I saw a few like this that added milk and ice and others that tried to make the ice cream waaay too healthy. Some also used frozen fruit in place of ice.

It's very curious, maybe they didn't try the ice cream after it was made. LOL
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Waaaay too much water, low-fat dairy. I'm not surprised it was a slushy & not ice cream.

Ice cream ingredients generally look like this: 2 quarts half & half cream, 1/2 pint heavy cream, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Another possibility to improve texture: buttermilk. Even low-fat buttermilk has a thick creamy texture. This is used in sherbet....it will change the flavor profile.

I was only making enough for two servings, those quantities look like something for way more people. Also I used whole milk, not low-fat milk. Can't stand low-fat milk. But even with those ingredients is that using a blender or an ice cream maker?

This was the standard recipe for vanilla ice cream using an ice cream churn. This continually stirs the mixture while freezing it. Adds air to the mixture, so it's not a solid block of anything. Yes, it's more servings. But I just wanted to point out....no water....and cream.

You could try an old camping, Girl Scout (Boy Scout?) recipe. Put your ingredients in a quart bag....try all dairy. Then place that bag inside a larger freezer bag with filled ice cubes and some salt. Continually turn the bag over & over. This is kinda fun if you've got a group of kids passing the bag back and forth.

http://dish.allrecipes.com/how-to-make-ice-cream-in-a-bag/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Here is an easy one for you:
    Equal parts sugar and smooth peanut butter (by weight), about 3 times the peanut butter light cream or half and half, vanilla extract. Throw them in the blender until well mixed, chill for a few hours, then off to the ice cream maker (or whatever method you are using)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the recipe?

it was a part of the ninja blender recipe book. It has a whole bunch and one was ice cream. I thought it would be great to try it and know exactly was in the ice cream, plus I could make it whenever I wanted. ^_^

I make homemade ice cream but have never added ice, it's odd to ice.

ETA: That is not much milk either

This. I've never used ice in my ice cream. Heavy Cream, Whole Milk, Sugar, Vanilla extract is the base. Then I add things like nutter butters and salted caramel... maybe a little bourbon in there too. Got the recipe from an old MFP friend, @GiveMeCoffee and man do I miss her!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    My ice cream recipe is a doozy - a can of condensed milk, a canful of water, a large pot of double cream, and whatever flavourings you fancy. I use an ice cream maker to churn it. It's gorgeous but very much NOT a low calorie option!

If you want a lighter ice cream, try frozen yoghurt. Loads of recipes online, the one I used was as simple as Greek yoghurt and pureed fruit. You can also make instant ice cream by blending frozen fruit and yoghurt if you have a good blender, you just need to get the proportions right. Let me see if I can find a recipe...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Where did you find the recipe?

it was a part of the ninja blender recipe book. It has a whole bunch and one was ice cream. I thought it would be great to try it and know exactly was in the ice cream, plus I could make it whenever I wanted. ^_^

I make homemade ice cream but have never added ice, it's odd to ice.

ETA: That is not much milk either

This. I've never used ice in my ice cream. Heavy Cream, Whole Milk, Sugar, Vanilla extract is the base. Then I add things like nutter butters and salted caramel... maybe a little bourbon in there too. Got the recipe from an old MFP friend, @GiveMeCoffee and man do I miss her!

She was awesome for sure. And I never add ice to my ice cream, and for me the heavy cream is a must.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Here you go - www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/wimbledon-inspired-strawberry-ice-cream/#B4IKs3KOKzRqjG0I.97
  • Beautyinthemoonlight
    Beautyinthemoonlight Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I add about 1 - 2 cups of berries that have been frozen to a blender with about 1/4 cup of almond milk (or milk of your choice). If the berries are bitter add a small amount of maple syrup or sweetener drops. It is not the exact same consistancy as icecream but tastes good and is a lot less calories. Most fruit flavours will work (pre-freeze fruit) except things like watermelon due to their water content. You may just need to adjust the amount of liquid you add accordingly.

You can make chocolate flavoured icecream by putting 1 sliced, frozen banana in the blender with about 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and almond milk.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I add about 1 - 2 cups of berries that have been frozen to a blender with about 1/4 cup of almond milk (or milk of your choice). If the berries are bitter add a small amount of maple syrup or sweetener drops. It is not the exact same consistancy as icecream but tastes good and is a lot less calories. Most fruit flavours will work (pre-freeze fruit) except things like watermelon due to their water content. You may just need to adjust the amount of liquid you add accordingly.

You can make chocolate flavoured icecream by putting 1 sliced, frozen banana in the blender with about 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and almond milk.

This is a smoothie, not ice cream.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited June 2016
    Options
    People get very particular about what is and isn't ice cream. As far as I'm concerned, if it looks like ice cream and tastes like ice cream, I'm calling it ice cream. It's not as if traditional ice cream even has to have cream in it - a custard base can be made with just milk, eggs and sugar.

It's like when people claim that "gelato" is something different and distinct from ice cream. Guess what, it's Italian for "ice cream". Yes, it's darn good ice cream - it's what I grew up on - but it's not some other species.

Frozen berries whizzed with milk sounds like ice cream to me, if it's thick enough to sit in a cone - otherwise it's a smoothie or a milkshake.