If every day were like today. You'd weigh X lbs in 5 weeks

Options

Replies

• EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    It's just a form of encouragement based on mathematics. No idea why 5 weeks tho.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    MFP thinks I should eat way fewer calories than I actually need, so it's always wrong for me. I don't even click the button.

Me too. I have mine set to TDEE -15%, plus I don't count or eat back exercise calories. According to MFP, I'd be gaining 2 lbs a month at that rate. In addition, I don't go by the scale to measure my progress.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Simple math. A pound is 3,500 calories. If your TDEE is, say, 2,000 and you are eating consistently 1,500 cal/day, math says you lose a pound a week. If you eat 1,250 cal/day, math says you lose 1.5 pounds per week. Obviously it doesn't factor in stuff like eating 1,200 calories of salty food that might make you retain water, and chances are your TDEE isn't 100% accurate, so it's really just stating your potential.
  • allylbrown
    allylbrown Posts: 71
    Options
    I do not eat or work out the same way everyday, so thats y it prob doesn't work...but I wish it were the case
  • jcdynan
    jcdynan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I end my day and think.....Wow that could be possible and keeps me going. Maybe someday the novelty will wear off but for now I like to see the numbers going down.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    in my experiance it won't be anywhere close because for 5 weeks straight my days aren't the same. I would go insane if it were the same everyday. ugh!

Good question i always wondered why 5 weeks too.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Lies...all lies. I don't even look at it anymore. :smile:
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do the math and it comes out to be about 2-3lbs per week and depending how my weeks go, it's pretty accurate. However, my days vary so one day it'll be substantially less and then other days it's more... so it pretty much averages out.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    When you finish your food intake for the day, you push the "complete this entry" button at the bottom of your food list and then you get:

"If every day were like today... You'd weigh ___ lbs in 5 weeks".....From your experience, how close is this prediction?

Extra credit bonus points for answering this question: why 5 weeks? :huh:

It's pretty accurate...if EVERY.SINGLE.DAY was like that day. BUT, this is the real world, and I'm sure you, and everyone else, myself included, are subject to real life and going over (or under) our calories every once in a while.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It seems to stay a little ahead of the curve for me.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well considering they said I'd lose 9 lbs in the 5 weeks and I'm already down 3.2 in less than 3 days I'm not sure how accurate it is. lol

Weight fluctuates up and down each day, be careful with daily weigh ins. You're not going to lose 9 pounds in 9 days.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    not at the point I am with my weight loss, I am nearing the very end. I wish I would loose that but at this point it's not accurate. It was when I first joined but I am at maintenance so the losses aren't coming anymore for the most part.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I actually find it most interesting and motivational when I've had a day where I've gone significantly over my goal. Seeing that if every day was like today, you'd be very close to your starting weight in 5 weeks, when it has taken me about 5 months to lose what I have is very eye opening and a reminder that a day or two of splurges once in a while isn't going to totally derail you but going back to eating that way all the time will have a fairly quick and negative impact on my progress.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    its pretty true for me. But I always have slip ups after two weeks so its thrown off haha. All part of life.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I've found it's not very correct but I love how it helps me gauge my progress (or lack thereof). When I see the number super low, it makes me feel really proud of my food choices (so I typically eat those again) and when it's high, I decide what food(s) caused that. It helps me understand the difference between eating well and eating anything!

As for the five weeks, I'm guessing it's just because there's approx. 5 weeks in a month (?).
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It has me down 20 pounds in 5 weeks. I'm thinking that is not possible.... or healthy.
  • sarahann513
    sarahann513 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's hard to be exact with that, because personally for me, each day is totally different. :) But it's still fun to see, and a little extra motivation to have good days, I suppose.
  • aprilco
    aprilco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seeing that 5 week estimate every day (whether its a lighter or heavier weight) keeps me motivated to at least try to meet my daily goals. I think it keeps me on track and looking for ways to trim a few more calories and exercise just a little more each day.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Finish logging.

Hit button.

y-u-no-tell-the-truth.jpg
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    i bet if you ate the same food and did the same amount of exercise that in 5 weeks it would be correct. Perhaps increasing exercise towards the end to match weight loss