If every day were like today. You'd weigh X lbs in 5 weeks

Options

Replies

• boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It has me down 20 pounds in 5 weeks. I'm thinking that is not possible.... or healthy.

are you eating enough/working out too much?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's never been right for me and never close. For some reason, MFP thinks that if I eat 1600 Cals per day I'm going to maintain. Not likely, since I was losing a pound a week averaging 1450 Cals/day. So, I've been way ahead of the MFP-calc'd curve. It's slowed down now that I'm close to goal, but still I lose faster than the estimate.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I really haven't paid it too much attention, but it does seem to tell me that I will lose on average 1 to 2 pounds per week and that is pretty much the rate I have been going so I think it is probably pretty close.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I found this the single most discouraging thing about MFP. It always said I should have dropped a lot of weight and it never happened, even though my food intake and exercising is remarkably similar day after day after month after month.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If every day were like today, I'd be Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day.

I pay very little attention to it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    When you finish your food intake for the day, you push the "complete this entry" button at the bottom of your food list and then you get:

"If every day were like today... You'd weigh ___ lbs in 5 weeks".....From your experience, how close is this prediction?

Extra credit bonus points for answering this question: why 5 weeks? :huh:

Write yourself a little note on your calendar for five weeks time with the predicted weight, see how close it gets.

When I was on MFP before this time around, I found it to be there or thereabouts and I like seeing that little quote, it amuses me, it is cute.
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    When you finish your food intake for the day, you push the "complete this entry" button at the bottom of your food list and then you get:

"If every day were like today... You'd weigh ___ lbs in 5 weeks".....From your experience, how close is this prediction?

Extra credit bonus points for answering this question: why 5 weeks? :huh:

Write yourself a little note on your calendar for five weeks time with the predicted weight, see how close it gets.

When I was on MFP before this time around, I found it to be there or thereabouts and I like seeing that little quote, it amuses me, it is cute.

actually I've done this on my note board. predicted a weight for july 30 weighin. I go my brothers prediction and my GF's prediction. my GF's prediction= 215, my prediction = 222, my brother's prediction = 230. Mybrother is a dieter, so maybe he is closest. I like my GF's prediction the best.

The MFP prediction usually has me in the teens (213-219lb) so I added a few lbs to my prediction for error, hence 222 lb prediction.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    To me to satisfies my need to weigh myself every day. I don't know why but it helps me to pretend that I am already the weight they say I will be in 5 weeks. It keeps me on track. However, I find I lose at a faster rate than they say I will (a least for now I do.)
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been at t for 3 days, I've been under my calorie goal. The weight I'd be in 5 weeks has increased at least 1 lb every day. It seems like it should stay the same or even drop a little, I don't think I'm gonna pay attention to it.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I tried tracking it for a while, writing down the weight and the date 5 weeks ahead, and I never achieved that goal. I did like seeing it going down though, it may have helped keep me motivated, IDK
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It's never right for me but I consistently hit that button to see what it says and it keeps me motivated.
  • leanndmary
    Options
    I've only been onboard for 10 days, but the 5 week prediction is the one thing that really bothers me. Not in and of itself, but if you eat even one calorie less than recommended, you get the 5 week prediction in big letters, while underneath in TINY PRINT is the caution about eating too little being dangerous and counterproductive. I find the font discrepancy to be sending a very poor message about what matters to MFP. As someone who has been both obese and anorexic, I don't think this is healthy or helpful.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The problem I see is the condition, "if every day were like today". I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have five weeks worth of days that are exactly the same. I notice what it says when I close my diary for the day, but I don't keep track of it.

Exactly this!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    it's a BIG FAT LIE!!!
  • JannAtBeach
    JannAtBeach Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The problem I see is the condition, "if every day were like today". I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have five weeks worth of days that are exactly the same. I notice what it says when I close my diary for the day, but I don't keep track of it.

I agree, I never have the same day..... I really don't pay to much attention to it...
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Exactly this!

I agree. It is meaningless.

No two days are identical in every way.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It seems like people are missing the point of the statement.

Look at it like this: You're on a 2000 cal plan, you eat 2158 calories one day....that statements gives you an idea what your journey **COULD** look like if you ate 2158 calories every day....Hmmm...do YOU want to do that math every night? 160 calories, times 7 days/week times 5 weeks...thats 5600 calories, divided by 3500 calories/pound... that'd be 1.5-ish pounds UP in 5 weeks....

Or, you touch the button, and it does the math for you.

it goes both ways....2k cal plan, eat 1810....how much weight would I lose eating an additional 190 cal deficit each day?

FWIW, I set my loss at 1 lb/week and according to the line graph, I lost 44 lbs in 42 weeks....Seems accurate to me.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Im the weirdo in the group. I like it. Mainly on days when I'm eating a lot and i see the number barely changing or *gasp* go up. It reminds me that I can't eat all wild.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    In the beginning when I had a substantial amount of weight to lose it was pretty spot-on. But I'm so close to goal now that progress has slowed to a crawl. If it were still accurate I'd have reached my goal back in February! :/
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I only had 7 pounds to lose. I calculated my TDEE based on my BMR from the beachbody website, and I would say it took about three times longer than mfp's estimate. I use it as a gauge to stay on track, but that notice seems like such a tease!