Unable to lose my stomach fat

Options
13»

Replies

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I didn't starve, I never cut below 1700 calories.

It took me 6 months to lose 40 lbs.

Bulk is eating in a surplus. I gained 20lbs

I had to build up muscle to show muscle.

If you have enough muscle to support the look then you don't have to do what I did tho most people do find themselves undermuscled.

Um whats the rush? Once a person gets the abs...then what stop working out?

Just so you know, when you see someone who is displaying abs, THEY WORKED FOR IT.

so if you just want abs without the work its never going to happen.

It's not about wanting to stop working out. It's about wanting the work outs to actually amount to something. Some sort of tangible result. If I don't lose fat working out and I'm not gaining strength working out what am I actually working out for? I guess that's what ab people don't really get or understand. They do something. They get a result. They eat to gain muscle they get stronger. They lose weight to see abs they see abs. Normal people don't get that.
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I didn't starve, I never cut below 1700 calories.

It took me 6 months to lose 40 lbs.

Bulk is eating in a surplus. I gained 20lbs

I had to build up muscle to show muscle.

If you have enough muscle to support the look then you don't have to do what I did tho most people do find themselves undermuscled.

Um whats the rush? Once a person gets the abs...then what stop working out?

Just so you know, when you see someone who is displaying abs, THEY WORKED FOR IT.

so if you just want abs without the work its never going to happen.

It's not about wanting to stop working out. It's about wanting the work outs to actually amount to something. Some sort of tangible result. If I don't lose fat working out and I'm not gaining strength working out what am I actually working out for? I guess that's what ab people don't really get or understand. They do something. They get a result. They eat to gain muscle they get stronger. They lose weight to see abs they see abs. Normal people don't get that.

I am normal people. Thanks. I've just researched studied applied and used my body as my own science project for 3.5 years. No woo no super low diets no cleanse no wrap no supplements no steroids. And I'm older so. I am normal people. You can do it too.

best of luck to you.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I think I see my issue. I'm dealing with a bunch of people who aren't having the same experience as me. My starting weight was 365. I'm 217 now. I've dieted for the better part of 4-5 years already. The scale barely moves anymore. And since I have to eat an insanely low calorie amount to make it move I gain zero strength even though I do the same compound movements everyone else does who seem to be getting great results. It's total crap. I do the same work and don't get either of the results other people get. I mean most people, they are either eating and gaining strength or not eating and losing fat. I get neither. Explain where someone like me is supposed to get my motivation from LOL. I'm sure lots of people are in this boat.

How many calories are you eating? Do you use a food scale? What workout program are you doing and how often? Do you have medical issues? What are your stats?

Motivation comes from within. We can give you the path to get you there, but only you can be determined enough to get there. I have been doing this on and off for 6/7 years and I don't have abs. I am fairly low in body fat (~16%) and that is after a 50 lb loss (220-170ish). I will get done to 10% but it will come when I am ready to really dedicate myself to get down that low.

It is pointless to make any suggestions to him. He disappears for awhile and then comes back to derail thread after thread about how he can never lose weight. Former name: BFDeal.

I just like to introduce a little reality check every now and then. It's not all "eat at a small deficit and lift weights." There are a lot of people like me in this weird in between. You can't eat enough to gain appreciable strength to justify your lifting but you also can't eat more or else you'll either gain or lose no weight. You're kind of just doing nothing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think I see my issue. I'm dealing with a bunch of people who aren't having the same experience as me. My starting weight was 365. I'm 217 now. I've dieted for the better part of 4-5 years already. The scale barely moves anymore. And since I have to eat an insanely low calorie amount to make it move I gain zero strength even though I do the same compound movements everyone else does who seem to be getting great results. It's total crap. I do the same work and don't get either of the results other people get. I mean most people, they are either eating and gaining strength or not eating and losing fat. I get neither. Explain where someone like me is supposed to get my motivation from LOL. I'm sure lots of people are in this boat.

How many calories are you eating? Do you use a food scale? What workout program are you doing and how often? Do you have medical issues? What are your stats?

Motivation comes from within. We can give you the path to get you there, but only you can be determined enough to get there. I have been doing this on and off for 6/7 years and I don't have abs. I am fairly low in body fat (~16%) and that is after a 50 lb loss (220-170ish). I will get done to 10% but it will come when I am ready to really dedicate myself to get down that low.

It is pointless to make any suggestions to him. He disappears for awhile and then comes back to derail thread after thread about how he can never lose weight. Former name: BFDeal.

I just like to introduce a little reality check every now and then. It's not all "eat at a small deficit and lift weights." There are a lot of people like me in this weird in between. You can't eat enough to gain appreciable strength to justify your lifting but you also can't eat more or else you'll either gain or lose no weight. You're kind of just doing nothing.

The only limitations there are, are set by the individual. If you want abs, you can get them. But it may takes years. That is the reality of the situation.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

How much time in general? Few months? A year? 10 years? I know it's probably different depending on how much a person needs to lose but it's a logical question to ask. It's frustrating to continue to do something thinking "any day now...any day now..." and not have any idea of when you'll actually get to the goal. <B>Where is the line between "I haven't been patient enough" and "ok, what I'm going must not be working because I'm not seeing any difference?"</B> I think the people like yourself showing off abs in their picture have the luxury of "being patient" because they already have abs.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious if the "be patient" crowd invested nearly the amount of time/effort as they're expecting other people to. Ab people, let's hear some real numbers to this. How long did it take you?

Just curious what your "or else" is? I.e. you have said a few times "What is the point?" so if you stop doing what you are doing, will that accomplish your goal? Of course not. So the point is to keep trying. If it is "not working", try something else. But the defeatist statement "what is the point" is a copout. Time is going to pass whether you work at this or not, at least working at it has a shot at doing some good (and it IS doing good, even if it is not the "good" you hoped for) whereas the alternative (quitting working out or eating right or whatever because it is not "working" fast enough) is a guarantee you wont get there.

If you dont think what you are doing is working, do some research and use your body as an experiment. In the end, you are the one who has to figure out what it takes to change your body. Take every suggestion you can find here and elsewhere, decide what "makes sense" to you and try it for a reasonable time. If it is unsustainable or doesnt appear to be doing anything for you or giving you other benefits, look to the next thing (i.e. different exercise, heavier weights - a lot of people think "lifting" is lifting the same weights for months, but it is supposed to be "progressive", playing with your macro settings - some people do better with lower carb, some with higher protein, etc).

Complaining burns no calories :) Best advice I ever heard to get me off my butt.

Good luck :)
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

The only limitations there are, are set by the individual. If you want abs, you can get them. But it may takes years. That is the reality of the situation.

Thanks for at least acknowledging it could take years. You almost never see this answer given.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Thanks for at least acknowledging it could take years. You almost never see this answer given.

Actually, you almost always see some variation of that answer given. Usually along the lines of, "you didn't put the weight on overnight, so you can't expect it to come off overnight." Of course, that means the recipient of the advice has to put the 2 and 2 together him/herself and come up with 4. But, still.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    edited June 2016
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    It would help to know your current height and weight.

I am 5 feet and 2 inches and weigh 67 KGS.

You simply need to continue to lose fat. Whether your goal is visible abs or simply a flatter (not super flat) stomach, your main issue right now is excess fat. Continue to eat in a deficit and you will lose fat from all over your body. It may very well still come off of your stomach area slowly but you are (likely) 25+ pounds from a flat stomach.

Ohhh just saw this one. Since you're making predictions with solid numbers I'm 217lbs. How long until my stomach is semi flat? 5'11" is my height. I'll take answers from anyone on this. Body fat is probably 23ish % if I work from my last BodPod figure and subtract my losses since then. Could be more but let's be optimistic right?
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

You simply need to continue to lose fat. Whether your goal is visible abs or simply a flatter (not super flat) stomach, your main issue right now is excess fat. Continue to eat in a deficit and you will lose fat from all over your body. It may very well still come off of your stomach area slowly but you are (likely) 25+ pounds from a flat stomach.

Ohhh just saw this one. Since you're making predictions with solid numbers I'm 217lbs. How long until my stomach is semi flat? 5'11" is my height. I'll take answers from anyone on this. Body fat is probably 23ish % if I work from my last BodPod figure and subtract my losses since then. Could be more but it's be optimistic right?

I figure someone with your attitude and mind set needs a good swift kick in the *kitten*, a reality check on how much work you are actually putting in and someone to tell them to suck it up buttercup.

I don't like your self defeatist attitude. You will never get anything done making these excuses.

If your program isn't working adopt a new one. Work at it for 4-6 weeks. If your diet is not working change that. but I will not pity you. I live in no pity city. Pity never got me a damn thing and it wont get you abs.

I am not being mean. you just need a swift kick right now.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Ohhh just saw this one. Since you're making predictions with solid numbers I'm 217lbs. How long until my stomach is semi flat? 5'11" is my height. I'll take answers from anyone on this. Body fat is probably 23ish % if I work from my last BodPod figure and subtract my losses since then. Could be more but let's be optimistic right?

I have no way of making that prediction for you. My statement to the OP was based on her current weight/height combo and my reading of approximate BMIs where women had flat stomachs. Even with that, I added a + sign because I wasn't sure (and it turns out I was likely off a bit based on @mom23mangos's post) and because so much depends on body shape, hormones, etc.

I don't look into men's issues/body fat/BMI numbers because they don't pertain to me.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

If you started big big, you may have loose skin, so ymmv but:

Fiance is about your height, started around where you are now weight wise, and at 180lb still has beer belly looking middle. He lifts weights daily and has done his whole (adult) life, is medium framed and well muscled with a small layer of fat over and the belly, interior fat. He estimates he would need to weigh 160 to have abs.

Working out while you are losing weight may not feel like it's doing much but I am 100% sure that it is preserving muscle and you are much better off than someone who is idle. Treading water is still better than going backwards.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I think it's pretty indicative by what others have said in this thread and many other threads. We discuss it all the time in the gaining weight section and there are tons of variables. This is why I don't be erroneous dates on things. I set goals and I work to accomplish them. If I don't accomplish, I can only blame myself.