Back pain

Options
spikeyhair
spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
I am 71 year old female. Have lost 21 lbs using MFP and Fitbit I can exercise for up to 45 mins and walk 3 miles with no pain but if I stand cooking or ironing I get really bad pain in right side of back ( midway between shoulder blade and waist) I then have to sit down for about 20 mins. Any ideas?

Replies

• yasef13
    yasef13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would have my doctor check it out. It could be very simple, for example you could have strained that muscle while exercising. This particular muscle has been an issue for me for the last 18 years, ever since I was pregnant with my oldest. I think how much weight I had gained with standing looong hours for work injured it. And ever since then if I overexert it, the pain comes back.
    My doctor has always told me to ice it for an hour, put a heating pad for an hour, you know alternate.
    And he used to tell me to take over the counter anti inflammatory (ibuprofen, Tylenol or aleve) whatever I tolerated at the time, for a couple of weeks.
    Also local creams like aspercreme or bengay helped.
  • LauraSS
    LauraSS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Standing in one position is not an option. I have to put the music on so I can move to the music.

Mine started after a then successful back surgery for a L5 S1 Herniated Disc causing sciatic pain so bad I could not walk and was in a wheelchair for 5 months.

After the surgery I was able to do a very low impact workout within 10 days, but here we are 11 years later and I still cannot stand in one place.

Arnica pellets and gel work very well for me to tolerate the pain. Making dinner is always a treat after I serve to sit down for dinner and actually put my feet up on the chair across from me to align the hips again.

I certainly would speak to your doctor to at least have an x-ray, if not an MRI on your spine. I wish you nothing but success and kudos for you still working out at 71! You are an inspiration.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try focusing on keeping your abdominal muscles pulled in while standing. People often relax them when standing. This video explains how to do it:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_j7eKLM-vSs

Also see if this back stretch helps:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=m0kMPOfxPos
    Only bend to the left side, not the right.

Are you left-handed?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    I am 71 year old female. Have lost 21 lbs using MFP and Fitbit I can exercise for up to 45 mins and walk 3 miles with no pain but if I stand cooking or ironing I get really bad pain in right side of back ( midway between shoulder blade and waist) I then have to sit down for about 20 mins. Any ideas?

this happens to me , too. Every time i start doing the dishes my back hurts. I think its the height of the counter and how i'm standing , moving etc. I do some long deep stretches and twists and that helps. I might have to stretch several times , but it does relieve the pain for a bit.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have chronic issues. I'd recommend finding a good, thorough chiropractor or osteopathic DO. Someone who will evaluate the issues in your back and not just throw pills at you - because those clearly aren't fixing the problem ;)
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    First of all, see a doctor. Because the advice we give may just hurt you more..

This doctor really knows her stuff. I've been following her back exercises, myself and I'd like to share it with you.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

this happens to me , too. Every time i start doing the dishes my back hurts. I think its the height of the counter and how i'm standing , moving etc. I do some long deep stretches and twists and that helps. I might have to stretch several times , but it does relieve the pain for a bit.

One physical therapist long ago taught us this --> Open the cabinet below the sink and rest your foot on the lower shelf while doing dishes.
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try focusing on keeping your abdominal muscles pulled in while standing. People often relax them when standing. This video explains how to do it:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_j7eKLM-vSs

Also see if this back stretch helps:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=m0kMPOfxPos
    Only bend to the left side, not the right.

Are you left-handed?

Tight core came to my mind as well. I might add that alternating weight on each foot may help along with balance work.

I try to keep my gut engaged for any odd punches that come my way.
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    Thanks for all advice. I may see doctor first and see if anything is wrong. I really feel it is something to do with posture but we'll see
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Abdominal strength and regular stretching, especially the hamstrings, glutes, hip abductors and iliotibial band will help. I feel your pain, literally... have the exact same problem.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

Do see a doctor but meanwhile what type of shoes are you wearing? If I'm going to be doing a lot of cooking I wear my Asics Gel sneakers. I also have foam mats on the floor under the sink and at the stove.
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    Did a little bit of ironing today. Concentrated on keeping abs engaged and it seemed to help, might incorporate some extra ab crunching in my workouts. Must admit never thought about shoes