Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Special diet, detox, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, etc. Why?

ForecasterJason
ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
I don't remember if this was really discussed before in this section. But one thing I've noticed with friends I know in real life and even some celebrities is the way in which a lot of people try to lose weight. Now I may be biased based on my observations, but it seems to me that a fairly large percentage of the population is out trying a special detox, diet, or buying some other program such as Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers to lose weight. This is in contrast to making a conscious effort to just cutting back on how much one is eating, without having to go through some "special" method.

So this has me wondering, is it that hard mentally to do the latter? I would think most people could save a lot of money and effort doing that. Even factoring in getting a food scale, it just seems so much simpler to go that route. As someone who has never had to lose any weight though, I'm curious to hear thoughts from others who have been down this path.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited June 2016
    this has been debated ad nauseam ..just use the handy search feature..
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    When I figured out that it was all about calories, and that they were in my control via readily available tools, weight loss became a fairly trivial matter to me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I think it varies from person to person. I love to cook and to experiment with new dishes and food combinations. I also hate to plan meals ahead of time as I don't know what I'll be in the mood for. I don't preplan and I rarely use recipes. For me it would be hell to use something like NutriSystem or even HelloFresh.

But I don't for one second imagine that everyone is like me. I'm sure those types of things are very helpful for others.

The same with detoxes and restrictive diets. I'd hate them, but I imagine they are helpful to many, even if only psychologically.

It's also the same with calorie counting and logging food. It's not my thing but many find it helpful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    For me, it's less stressful. brain-taxing, and time consuming eating from a pre-portioned food program (NutriSystem and WW) than weighing out all my food, though it will cost much more money. Because I'm cheap and I did the NS and WW before, I went the 'free' way of measuring my own food and keeping a food diary.

Generally speaking, people are lazy in some respect. They just pick a different lazy. Some people don't care about spending $500 a month on pre-packaged, delivered-to-my-house food programs because they feel their time is more precious to them than $500.

^Lazy

Magic Bullet theory.....if you're paying money for something "special" then it must be better....right?

Detoxes are fads. Celebrities, models, etc use them....."we can be like them." What a bunch of *kittens.* There are always going to be new fads as long as there are people wanting to make money. There are always going to be suckers who fall for it because there "must be a shortcut."

Weight Watchers can have an in-person accountability/camaraderie factor. Some people do get benefit from that. Weighing in weekly (in front of a bunch of people?)....may make you more accountable.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    People want a quick fix.
    They don't want to have to work for it
    They'd rather believe that there's some magical answer to losing weight because they flat out don't want to put in any work.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    bleurgh to all those things. I eat better and save money by cooking my own food and simply counting the calories and nutrients in it. I tried WW about ten years ago and it made me miserable AND cost money. So I noped the F out of there.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Good points. It sounds like a big reason these other methods appeal to people is because it takes a lot of the planning and effort off of the individual.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    I think it boils down to this:
    nr6ll8q04vxm.jpg
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Laziness and lack of knowledge, at least for me. Diets look daunting and awful, and counting calories on paper is a real chore. I tried some weight loss pills, detoxes and the like because they promised quick loss with no real effort on my part. Those didn't work, and I was too shy for WW or anything involving other humans. Did a little more digging and found MFP. If I had known that it was all in my control and there was an easy system and support at my fingertips, for free, i likely wouldn't have tried anything else.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Waaallll, I tried Weight Watchers as a young woman, and it worked while I was on it. I understand, however, that WW is better now, more scientific, easier to follow. I also tried to lose weight on my own over the years and was never successful for long. But my last weight loss was through prayer.
    All I ever read and heard in my older years was that "it way harder, even impossible, when you're older." So on my 60th birthday, I prayed for a birthday gift of weight loss. I did not ask for a time schedule, just weight loss. When I turned 61, I'd lost 50 pounds. And I was surprised when, on my 62nd birthday, I'd lost 50 more. I was quite satisfied with my weight there -- even before that point -- but over the next 3 years, I lost 24 more pounds, that last weight loss fluctuating between 24 and 18 pounds.
    What I did immediately, on this journey, was stop drinking sugar-pop, then add fruit to my diet, eat less meat, buy smaller dinner plates to serve our food upon, and just "graze" all day rather than always eating meals. I ate when I was hungry and did not eat if I wasn't.
    At age 67, I'm 5'3.5" and weigh 113 -- sometimes. As I wrote regarding fluctuation, my weight stays between 113 and 119 lbs.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Waaallll, I tried Weight Watchers as a young woman, and it worked while I was on it. I understand, however, that WW is better now, more scientific, easier to follow. I also tried to lose weight on my own over the years and was never successful for long. But my last weight loss was through prayer.
    All I ever read and heard in my older years was that "it way harder, even impossible, when you're older." So on my 60th birthday, I prayed for a birthday gift of weight loss. I did not ask for a time schedule, just weight loss. When I turned 61, I'd lost 50 pounds. And I was surprised when, on my 62nd birthday, I'd lost 50 more. I was quite satisfied with my weight there -- even before that point -- but over the next 3 years, I lost 24 more pounds, that last weight loss fluctuating between 24 and 18 pounds.
    What I did immediately, on this journey, was stop drinking sugar-pop, then add fruit to my diet, eat less meat, buy smaller dinner plates to serve our food upon, and just "graze" all day rather than always eating meals. I ate when I was hungry and did not eat if I wasn't.
    At age 67, I'm 5'3.5" and weigh 113 -- sometimes. As I wrote regarding fluctuation, my weight stays between 113 and 119 lbs.

Being diabetic might have something to do with your weight loss too. Now that you are taking insulin you might want to start counting calories (if you don't already) because the insulin will help your body access the extra glucose in your blood, and if there is more glucose than what your body needs the extra will be stored as fat.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Thank you for the information, Jane! I've had diabetes for decades but ignored it, because I have another illness that seemed more devastating, so I just refused to deal with both. I did lose the weight, hoping that would take care of the diabetes, but it didn't; I just got worse, I guess, because when I finally submitted, the blood/sugar levels were shocking.
    My nutritionist wants me to gain a little weight, I suppose that would be all right. I don't like it, but . . . .
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Less time consuming than weighing food. Everyone at work seems to be on weight watchers and they count points. We are all losing around the same rate and I weigh/count calories. It isn't that easy to weigh and log everything, it is time consuming and I limit myself by doing so in the foods that I can eat. Chicken and broccoli every day because it's the easiest thing to eat/weigh/not screw up. I don't go out to eat with friends and family anymore while others are able to use a WW point system to do so. I am not bringing a food scale and I cannot eyeball portions. I find nothing wrong with WW or nutrisystem, it just isn't for me.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Because people choose the option that works best for their lifestyle and/or knowledge level, just like everything else in life.

It's not like anyone on MFP really has room to talk anyway, since they are using an app designed by someone else to track their calories, macros, and nutrients instead of sitting down with a pen and paper and doing it themselves. And having access to a huge database that they wouldn't have doing it themselves. Not to mention that the community support here isn't any different from the community support that is a part of programs like WW. Sure, it's "free," but you're still following a program and using tools created by others.

Exactly! And it isn't like MFP is more successful than WW or Nutrisystem judging by how many members show up saying "I'm back because I regained".
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Because people choose the option that works best for their lifestyle and/or knowledge level, just like everything else in life.

It's not like anyone on MFP really has room to talk anyway, since they are using an app designed by someone else to track their calories, macros, and nutrients instead of sitting down with a pen and paper and doing it themselves. And having access to a huge database that they wouldn't have doing it themselves. Not to mention that the community support here isn't any different from the community support that is a part of programs like WW. Sure, it's "free," but you're still following a program and using tools created by others.

I did it myself for three years while away from MFP. The weight gain that occured during that time was actually a direct result of me trusting someone else's calculations when I let it tell me what my maintenance calories would be.

Back to the deficit, back to keto, and back down 30 pounds before I bothered starting to log again a few days ago. Funny that; some people can solve their own problems and actually do use this as a tool of convenience and record keeping.

That said, you're probably right for the vast majority.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I just detest the idea of paying someone money to do something that I already know good and well how to do by myself. I think that weighing and logging food is EASY (it takes what? 5 minutes per meal?). And using MFP *is* different because it *is* free. No one tells you what/where/when to eat, you make your own choices and then have the convenience of the calculator to keep track. I mean. I could write it down (and have done so before the internet age), but..... why would I?