Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CrossFit

Options

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Pros
    Crossfit classes when programmed properly (combined with diet) will most definitely get you fit...like really fit.

People tend to get pigeon holed into the type of fitness that they enjoy. Crossfit (being a general prepardness program) targets many different areas of fitness such as strength training, cardio etc. It forces participants to hit areas they might skip if they were working out in a regular gym or alone (I mean who would row a 10K by choice....no judgement).

Crossfit has helped people to become more comfortable with the idea of women lifting weights, being strong, and feeling comfortable in their own skin. I've seen this newfound strength translate to other areas of life for many members, especially the women.

The hardest part about any gym routine is finding consistency. The community aspect of Crossfit keeps people coming back and that's a fact. You go to the classes and socialize and people question and are concerned when you aren't there. Nobody at Planet Fitness gives AF if you're not there to jog on the treadmill.

There is great value in having trainers constantly around you to help you with form critiques and skills IF they are good and knowledgeable trainers.

Cons

Specific strength/fitness goals can often be achieved more efficiently through other means. You'll get strong from crossfit, sure. However, you won't get THE STRONGEST or THE FASTEST. There are reasons why the programming of people who train for competitive Crossfit doesn't look anything like what you would see in a typical Crossfit class.

There are plenty of "coaches" who have no idea what they're doing. They push members too hard or too fast or don't even know what proper form should be. This most definitely can lead to unnecessary injuries.

Crossfitters tend to get in the mindset that Crossfit is the best way or the only way for people to get fit. This is obviously untrue. I think so many people find a love of fitness for the first time through crossfit. This creates that sense of superiority because they think "I tried everything and this finally worked so it must be right for everyone"

The word box is dumb

Certain movements are dumb (I'm looking at you sumo deadlift high pulls and medicine ball cleans)

Overall I love crossfit and think it could be a good fit for many (but definitely not all). I've seen it impact people in amazing ways and I personally lost 70 LBS doing it. I guess my only real pet peeve is frequently when Crossfit is promoted to the masses it's with the super fit bodies of top crossfit athletes. Those bodies were not created with an hour crossfit class a day and it's generally not what you'll see at your typical crossfit gym. I really realized this when I switched from traditional crossfit programming to competition crossfit programming. It's almost purely strength training with a metabolic conditioning workout or two thrown in everyday. You lose much of that community experience that people love so much. I personally love training this way. I just feel so many people have gotten so fit from just regular crossfit classes...why not promote the average fit Joe? He's the one people will actually relate to anyway.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I think that it gets people movingmoving, abs that's good . The high injury rate is concerning, but there's a lot of injuries in a number of sports, and more of an issue for people exercising that way and the corporate board /lawyers than the general uninvolved public.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I tried crossfit for the first time a few weeks ago, with my sister and two of her friends who crossfit frequently. We all did the same WOD, and I have to admit I did enjoy the way it was laid out. What annoyed me, though, is that the other girls didn't seem to worry much about form and were just trying to get through it as fast as possible. I understand the competitiveness of crossfit is all part of it, but I'm a stickler for form and took my time with some of the exercises. I kept up, but my own competitive side left thinking I would have gotten through the workout more times than the others by a longshot if they had used proper form on some of the exercises.

The kicker is there was a trainer there who tried to help one of the girls with her form, and instead of taking his advice, she got offended.

I agree with others that I love that it's gotten so many people to become interested in fitness, but I feel the competitive nature of it is the reason so many people end up with injuries. And just from my experience, that responsibility is on the individual, not the gym, but it's easy to get caught up in it.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Pros
    Overall I love crossfit and think it could be a good fit for many (but definitely not all). I've seen it impact people in amazing ways and I personally lost 70 LBS doing it. I guess my only real pet peeve is frequently when Crossfit is promoted to the masses it's with the super fit bodies of top crossfit athletes. Those bodies were not created with an hour crossfit class a day and it's generally not what you'll see at your typical crossfit gym. I really realized this when I switched from traditional crossfit programming to competition crossfit programming. It's almost purely strength training with a metabolic conditioning workout or two thrown in everyday. You lose much of that community experience that people love so much. I personally love training this way. I just feel so many people have gotten so fit from just regular crossfit classes...why not promote the average fit Joe? He's the one people will actually relate to anyway.

Fitness marketing is a tricky thing. Everything I've ever heard about CrossFit from newbies is that it's HARD, and it sounds challenging enough that I, someone who runs and lifts regularly, would struggle with classes for the first week or few. Given how hard it is, I think CrossFit needs to promote a proportional reward to the difficulty level - in this case, if you go all-in, you *could* be this super-fit, ripped, competitive person. If the pinnacle of a really hard program was your average fit Jo/e, is that inspiring or motivating enough to keep going after the first workout or two kicks your *kitten*? Does that show the brand at its best? Let your average fit CrossFitters show up in testimonials and real life - people definitely connect to those. But if you don't show off your elites you imply that moderately fit is your upper limit, and that people will need to graduate from your brand onto something else if they want to get into super-amazing shape.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Pros

Fitness marketing is a tricky thing. Everything I've ever heard about CrossFit from newbies is that it's HARD, and it sounds challenging enough that I, someone who runs and lifts regularly, would struggle with classes for the first week or few. Given how hard it is, I think CrossFit needs to promote a proportional reward to the difficulty level - in this case, if you go all-in, you *could* be this super-fit, ripped, competitive person. If the pinnacle of a really hard program was your average fit Jo/e, is that inspiring or motivating enough to keep going after the first workout or two kicks your *kitten*? Does that show the brand at its best? Let your average fit CrossFitters show up in testimonials and real life - people definitely connect to those. But if you don't show off your elites you imply that moderately fit is your upper limit, and that people will need to graduate from your brand onto something else if they want to get into super-amazing shape.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I don't know much about marketing. That being said, one of the coolest things about the program is that everybody does the same work out (for the most part). I may be slower and weaker than most of my classmates, but at the end of the work out, they are no less tired than I am. As above average athletes, I am inspired by their performance, that isn't so uncommon. But the crazy thing is that sometimes, they are inspired by mine. No matter what level you're at, you can always try your hardest, and that's what the CrossFit culture celebrates.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their thoughtful, objective and measured responses. I don't think there has been a single point made that I personally can't agree with.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Generally I think that Crossfit has become the whipping boy of the fitness industry.

I do admit that it's funny, but at the same time I think that Crossfit tends to get some things very right even though they also get some things very wrong, IMO.

Random notes:

1) I don't tend to agree with how some things are programmed (or lack of programming perhaps). A bit more structured overload and a LOT less randomness would probably benefit people for strength and hypertrophy.

2) Performing technically complex movements at high levels of fatigue is a good recipe for injury.

3) Certain sub cultures seem to wear injuries like a badge of honor but in fairness that's not a judgement that can extend to all of crossfit.

But what they get right:

a) Social support and community. This is freaking HUUUUUUGE and obviously they do it well, because every crossfitter to ever exist tells you they crossfit. (lol)

b) They are bringing barbell lifting to the mainstream. Another huge plus.

c) They are getting people to train hard using a variety of modalities.

In my opinion crossfit is definitely a huge net-positive, even though I do still make crossfit jokes =)

i pretty much agree with this ...

although, some of the moves they have people doing seem to be lacking form ...like Kipping Pullups...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't even know what CrossFit is. Circuit training with cult-like atmosphere? I don't workout in public so I never run across CrossFit.

its like gymnastics coupled with lifting....i guess...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh, and it seems like a rip off to me ..$200.00 plus a month for a membership???
  • moe0303
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Generally I think that Crossfit has become the whipping boy of the fitness industry.

I do admit that it's funny, but at the same time I think that Crossfit tends to get some things very right even though they also get some things very wrong, IMO.

Random notes:

1) I don't tend to agree with how some things are programmed (or lack of programming perhaps). A bit more structured overload and a LOT less randomness would probably benefit people for strength and hypertrophy.

2) Performing technically complex movements at high levels of fatigue is a good recipe for injury.

3) Certain sub cultures seem to wear injuries like a badge of honor but in fairness that's not a judgement that can extend to all of crossfit.

But what they get right:

a) Social support and community. This is freaking HUUUUUUGE and obviously they do it well, because every crossfitter to ever exist tells you they crossfit. (lol)

In my opinion crossfit is definitely a huge net-positive, even though I do still make crossfit jokes =)

although, some of the moves they have people doing seem to be lacking form ...like Kipping Pullups...

I knew we would eventually get to kipping. While not a CF expert by any means, the kipping pull up requires a definite form and technique. It is similar in concept to a clean or jerk.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Timed olympic lifts is my sticking point. I would do anything for fitness, but I won't do that.

• ndj1979
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

Random notes:

But what they get right:

I knew we would eventually get to kipping. While not a CF expert by any means, the kipping pull up requires a definite form and technique. It is similar in concept to a clean or jerk.

what form is that? Throwing your legs up in the air like a maniac?
  • moe0303
    Options

Random notes:

But what they get right:

No.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Timed olympic lifts is my sticking point. I would do anything for fitness, but I won't do that.

This is pretty much where I'm at...that and the volume. I do like that it has re-introduced a lot of people to the Oly lifts...it just seems like not in a good way.
  • moe0303
    edited June 2016
    Options

Random notes:

But what they get right:

The kip engages the core by starting from the hang and pushing the "hips and shoulders forward and then relaxing, push forward and then relax, until a swing develops. The athlete moves from “arched to hollow” forming a “C” alternating between belly forward, shoulder open (arched), and belly retreating, shoulder closing (hollow).
    Once the swing is developed, the athlete will find the kip by giving a sharp tug upward at the back of the swing while leaning back slightly, which heaves the athlete toward the bar."

"Kipping pull-ups have the same advantages over strict pull-ups that the jerk has over the shoulder press. Each is a fundamentally more potent stimulus than its less dynamic, less powerful counterpart. Our program’s extensive reliance on the more dynamic, powerful movements holds the seeds of our athletes’ successes."

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/32_05_Kipping_Pullup.pdf

ETA: Added source. (I started, then thought I should look up official documented points of performance)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Random notes:

But what they get right:

The kip engages the core by starting from the hang and pushing the "hips and shoulders forward and then relaxing, push forward and then relax, until a swing develops. The athlete moves from “arched to hollow” forming a “C” alternating between belly forward, shoulder open (arched), and belly retreating, shoulder closing (hollow).
    Once the swing is developed, the athlete will find the kip by giving a sharp tug upward at the back of the swing while leaning back slightly, which heaves the athlete toward the bar."

"Kipping pull-ups have the same advantages over strict pull-ups that the jerk has over the shoulder press. Each is a fundamentally more potent stimulus than its less dynamic, less powerful counterpart. Our program’s extensive reliance on the more dynamic, powerful movements holds the seeds of our athletes’ successes."

ETA: Added source. (I started, then thought I should look up official documented points of performance)

"More potent stimulus" in what way?
  • moe0303
    Options

Random notes:

But what they get right:

"More potent stimulus" in what way?

Power? Movement, maybe?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I don't do it. Our gym has a CrossFit section and a Poster with CrossFit Workouts on it (all named after women).
    The idea of doing complex Olympic lifts at highish weights in A "do as many reps as you can in 30 seconds" manner doesn't sit well with me.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Random notes:

But what they get right:

Im sure kipping pullups are supposed to have Form. Unfortunately, If your goal is "do as many as you can dish out in A minute", Form is the first thing that flies out the window.