Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Tell Me I'm Fat"

Options
JaneSnowe
JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
edited June 2016 in Debate Club
Does anyone here ever listen to This American Life? This week's episode asked the question, Should we think about weight differently than we do? I'd love to hear what others think after hearing the podcast. Does something need to change about how society views fat people? TAL wants you to answer Yes. Here are links to the podcast and the transcript, plus the intros to each segment. Give it a listen and let's talk about it!

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/589/tell-me-im-fat

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/589/transcript
When you're over a certain size-- it's been explained to me by a few people now-- complete strangers walk up to you on the street and tell you to lose weight. They shoot you dirty looks when they see ice cream in your shopping cart. They talk down to you like you're stupid about nutrition and calories, as if pretty much every fat person has not been around the block 500 times on that one already.

That's why deciding to stay fat and be OK with it is at a peculiar frontier right now, where things are shifting and people do not agree about what is acceptable to say and think. I was talking to Lindy. I used the word "overweight" a few times.

And at some point, she stopped me and said, the word "overweight" is not preferred. She wasn't strident about this. It was super friendly. She said the problem with "overweight" is that it implies that there is a correct weight for people.

That's how radical this is. It's saying that no weight is better than any other weight, which, given the health risks associated with greater weight that Lindy acknowledges, it can be hard to get your head around. And we're doing this show today because I read the book that Lindy just published about this. And it made me see this whole thing differently.
Act One, The Day the Scales Fell from Her Eyes.

So Lindy West is very much a fat person with a before picture and an after picture. In both pictures, she's fat. In the after picture, she is outspoken and happy. In the before picture, she is painfully shy and not as happy.

She says, as a fat teenager, she felt like a monster. Cool clothes did not seem to exist for her. In her 20s, fat made her world smaller. She'd stay home when friends went hiking, biking, sailing. She'd cancel plans to avoid restaurants whose tables were so close together she couldn't navigate through them.
Act Two, It's a Small World After All.

So when we were all talking about what wanted to put on this week's show, we come to the subject of fat suits. And one of our staffers, Elna Baker, blurted out, if she put one of those on today, she'd feel like herself again.

Elna is one of those rare people who has lost a lot of weight. She lost 110 pounds, and she's kept it off for years and years. Says she grew up being told the same thing that lots of fat girls are told-- that she'd never have a husband or a family if she stayed fat.

She'd never got the job she wanted if she stayed fat. The job she wanted in her case was she wanted to be an actress. Her grandfather would tell her flat out, nobody wants to see a fat girl on TV.

But she didn't believe it. She thought it was an exaggeration. She's a hard worker, good attitude. She just figured she'd just make it work. Then it didn't work.
Act Three, How You Doing with Sizes?

So obesity in America affects a higher percentage of black people than white people. Roxane Gay has written a lot about race and some about obesity in her book Bad Feminist and elsewhere. Roxane's black. She's fat. And she says those two things together have a huge impact on the way people perceive her.
Act Four, Cross Trainers.

It's so common to judge people on their weight. And of course, so often there is this moral dimension to it that is just gross-- this idea that you're fat because you're weak, you can't get control of your own life.

Today on our program, we're saying maybe that is not the most accurate or the most helpful way to look at this. This next story is about a very specialized example of this kind of moralism. You may know that there's a Christian weight loss movement. And it's big, with seminars and books like Help Lord, the Devil Wants Me Fat. Daniel Engber takes us into to a particularly extreme moment for this movement.

Replies

• buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have just started listening to this episode (I keep the episodes as a special treat for when I'm at gym) - will report back on Monday after my session - seems like a good one to listen to whilst doing my weights ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I was going to post this today.

It's an interesting podcast and Lindy West echoes some of the things I believe - a lot of the "health concern" people express is just fat shaming. I might read her book.

Certainly there is a lot of her discourse I don't agree with but I have huge respect for the thoughtful argument she brings and the attitude of self-awareness and self-love. Great segment in that podcast.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

It's an interesting podcast and Lindy West echoes some of the things I believe - a lot of the "health concern" people express is just fat shaming. I might read her book.

Certainly there is a lot of her discourse I don't agree with but I have huge respect for the thoughtful argument she brings and the attitude of self-awareness and self-love. Great segment in that podcast.

I agree with you about the "health concerns". Lindy's interview really made me think.

I was a little bothered by Dan Savage's remarks about the people at the water park. So judgemental towards families out having fun together in a way that promotes activity.

What did you think of the interview with Roxane Gay? She says that the medical term for her size is "super morbidly obese", Ira Glass says that's so mean, and Roxane agrees, saying it's dehumanizing. I would have like to hear what term should be used instead.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

I agree with you about the "health concerns". Lindy's interview really made me think.

I was a little bothered by Dan Savage's remarks about the people at the water park. So judgemental towards families out having fun together in a way that promotes activity.

What did you think of the interview with Roxane Gay? She says that the medical term for her size is "super morbidly obese", Ira Glass says that's so mean, and Roxane agrees, saying it's dehumanizing. I would have like to hear what term should be used instead.

The correct term would be "class III obesity" or "class IV obesity" and the "super morbidly" has no actual additional differentiating clinical value. Super MO is not a WHO classification term and certainly not universally accepted - it may come from US Public Health use.

It is interesting that Roxanne struggles with the FA movement and appears in the podcast to not fully embrace it, but sees it as a necessary return to balance. "I don't want to pretend that I'm OK" stuck in my mind. But other than that, it was a weak segment - too short and didn't go anywhere except plug her upcoming book.

As to Dan Savage - he is all about being shocking and I'm perfectly fine with his viewpoint as such which was intended to electrify, create response and not support (click bait is click bait) - it's also evolved and softened along the way. He isn't a kind person, in general, if one references his blogs or shows. Too bad he didn't participate, then again it might have been to much about him then.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Everybody wants to be accepted as they are. Nobody wants to feel or be ostrazided. That goes for every group of people be it a matter of national, racial, sexual idendity: political, moral, ethical, religious beliefs; their economics, lifestyle choices, appearance; physical attributes, mental capabilities. Same goes for fat folks. They want to be accepted just as they are. If they want to get thinner, then it's their choice and willfull action that gets them there and not public opinion. That's my feelings on it. Take that or leave it ... I don't care. But I do care that you accept my belief because I'm one of the people I've just talked about. The one that wants to be accepted exactly as I am.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Everybody wants to be accepted as they are. Nobody wants to feel or be ostrazided. That goes for every group of people be it a matter of national, racial, sexual idendity: political, moral, ethical, religious beliefs; their economics, lifestyle choices, appearance; physical attributes, mental capabilities. Same goes for fat folks. They want to be accepted just as they are. If they want to get thinner, then it's their choice and willfull action that gets them there and not public opinion. That's my feelings on it. Take that or leave it ... I don't care. But I do care that you accept my belief because I'm one of the people I've just talked about. The one that wants to be accepted exactly as I am.

And that's perfectly fine, but there has to be a line. I usually draw that line where money becomes involved. Personally, I'd be a lot more okay with all of it, if the chronically obese were not allowed access to public funding for healthcare. I feel the same for smokers. I felt the same when I was both obese, and a smoker.

But, since the feds won't let the public cut off funding to people who damage themselves, mockery is about all they have left.

Oh, I get you on the money thing. but if we are going to turn off public healthcare funding for smokers and fat people, then what about those with other dissorders that can be shown to be caused by damage done to the self? In that category, I would definitely put drug addicts, alcohol abusers, people with sexually transmited diseases .... Holy Gabonie ... i think I am sounding a bit like 'The Donald' ... yipes!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

And that's perfectly fine, but there has to be a line. I usually draw that line where money becomes involved. Personally, I'd be a lot more okay with all of it, if the chronically obese were not allowed access to public funding for healthcare. I feel the same for smokers. I felt the same when I was both obese, and a smoker.

But, since the feds won't let the public cut off funding to people who damage themselves, mockery is about all they have left.

Oh, I get you on the money thing. but if we are going to turn off public healthcare funding for smokers and fat people, then what about those with other dissorders that can be shown to be caused by damage done to the self? In that category, I would definitely put drug addicts, alcohol abusers, people with sexually transmited diseases .... Holy Gabonie ... i think I am sounding a bit like 'The Donald' ... yipes!

I am actually perfectly fine with everything you just said. In fact, I'd rather all of it be gone altogether. And no, I'm not a Trump supporter. xD
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Society needs to change the way they view a lot of things, not just fat people
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    OMG this whole podcast resonated so well with what I am going through especially with Elna and Roxanne. Before I turned 21, I never thought of weight like I do now and I especially never thought to hate myself or my body because I was morbidly obese. Yes, I knew I needed to lose some weight, but I never thought about it in such a negatively draining obsessive way until I realized that people do care about looks and they do treat you differently based on how you look. It really didn't hit me how much a lot of men care about a woman's weight until my experience with being rejected because of my weight happened. After that I hit a deep depression because I knew if I didn't lose the weight, it would always be this way for me but knowing the truth---that people treat me differently because I am smaller---is what is the most depressing thing about losing all the weight. Sometimes I think I sabotage my weight loss efforts because I know that I am going to be treated differently and I am not ready for that.

Also on should society's views on fat people change?--- I have a love/hate thing for the FAT acceptance movement. On the one hand, its so good to be positive about yourself and your body as it is and I am working on loving myself again, but at the same time if you are obviously overweight even if its not affecting your health presently, it can and most likely will in the long run. For me, its already starting to affect me and I'm only 24 and not even morbidly obese anymore, just in class I. So I am on the fence about that subject and think its a case by case thing. Not every overweight person needs to lose weight especially if they are more muscle than fat, tall or athletic. One thing I would like to see happen is that the FA movement move towards promoting better eating: less processed foods and more produce. I would really get on the wagon then. If I had had that growing up, I wouldn't be obese now.

Kudos to those that accept themselves the way that they are, but I just hope at the same time they aim for better health. And I think that's the controversy with the body positivity movement or FA movement because if more big people in this movement ate healthy and exercised at least 4x-5x a week, would they still be big?

Some yes, but the majority no. When I went vegan and exercised almost 5x day, I dropped 10lbs in 2 weeks. So I know if the majority ate truly clean (hardly no processed foods and little to no meat) and was more active, there would be hardly no one obese except for those with medical issues causing their obesity.

When I can afford it I will be going back vegan again.

I read one or two books a few years ago. That's actually part of the whole HAES process. Eating a healthy nutritious diet, basically doing anything to improve yourself without weight loss being the end goal. And from reading MFP, we all know that "clean eating" (or substitute whichever phrase you prefer) in and of itself won't lead to weight loss. People who like vegetables and lean meats can still struggle to lose weight because the sum total of their diet is such that they're consuming more calories than their goals might suggest. If you mean clean eating at reasonable calorie levels and nothing else, well. That can be very difficult to stick to and tends to suck out a lot of enjoyment from life and eating for a lot of people, and compliance to this form of dietary white knuckling can be quite low considering the long term.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I listened to this while working out, so I was a bit distracted and may have the wrong idea here. This is what I keep coming back to ...

"Yeah, but I was determined to not be fat forever. And my worst fear was, what if I am? And then at some point, I just was like, you know, it's fairly likely that I'm going to be fat forever. So why am I putting off figuring out how to live with that? I should, rather than spending all my time counting almonds, why not try to figure out how to be happy now?"

I think it's so important to be happy with yourself, so of course I think figuring out how to accept your body is important. What I keep struggling with is the sense of resignation I get from this, like she's given up on losing weight, something she used to be determined to do. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to express this, but I get the sense that she's removed herself from the equation, like it's not in her hands to lose weight. I'm not sure why I take that from what she said here, but that's where my mind keeps going. I guess I think it's important to figure out how to love your body even if you're trying to change it. The two are not mutually exclusive.

(Please be kind if you respond to this :) I'm just thinking out loud - or something like out loud - here.)

That resignation can be a tough pill to swallow, but it basically stems from another reaction to some "data" that a lot of us know all too well - the percentage of people who lose significant amounts of weight and actually keep it off. I've seen depressing numbers ranging anywhere from 3% to 20%. Some people say the studies that report these numbers are bogus, in which case I'd like to read a better one, and hope like hell that those stats are changing for the better as time goes on.

Anyway, if you were considering an investment that took a lot of your resources and only 5% of people made an appreciable amount of money, mightn't you consider other options? Any other options?
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    OMG this whole podcast resonated so well with what I am going through especially with Elna and Roxanne. Before I turned 21, I never thought of weight like I do now and I especially never thought to hate myself or my body because I was morbidly obese. Yes, I knew I needed to lose some weight, but I never thought about it in such a negatively draining obsessive way until I realized that people do care about looks and they do treat you differently based on how you look. It really didn't hit me how much a lot of men care about a woman's weight until my experience with being rejected because of my weight happened. After that I hit a deep depression because I knew if I didn't lose the weight, it would always be this way for me but knowing the truth---that people treat me differently because I am smaller---is what is the most depressing thing about losing all the weight. Sometimes I think I sabotage my weight loss efforts because I know that I am going to be treated differently and I am not ready for that.

Also on should society's views on fat people change?--- I have a love/hate thing for the FAT acceptance movement. On the one hand, its so good to be positive about yourself and your body as it is and I am working on loving myself again, but at the same time if you are obviously overweight even if its not affecting your health presently, it can and most likely will in the long run. For me, its already starting to affect me and I'm only 24 and not even morbidly obese anymore, just in class I. So I am on the fence about that subject and think its a case by case thing. Not every overweight person needs to lose weight especially if they are more muscle than fat, tall or athletic. One thing I would like to see happen is that the FA movement move towards promoting better eating: less processed foods and more produce. I would really get on the wagon then. If I had had that growing up, I wouldn't be obese now.

Kudos to those that accept themselves the way that they are, but I just hope at the same time they aim for better health. And I think that's the controversy with the body positivity movement or FA movement because if more big people in this movement ate healthy and exercised at least 4x-5x a week, would they still be big?

Some yes, but the majority no. When I went vegan and exercised almost 5x day, I dropped 10lbs in 2 weeks. So I know if the majority ate truly clean (hardly no processed foods and little to no meat) and was more active, there would be hardly no one obese except for those with medical issues causing their obesity.

When I can afford it I will be going back vegan again.

I read one or two books a few years ago. That's actually part of the whole HAES process. Eating a healthy nutritious diet, basically doing anything to improve yourself without weight loss being the end goal. And from reading MFP, we all know that "clean eating" (or substitute whichever phrase you prefer) in and of itself won't lead to weight loss. People who like vegetables and lean meats can still struggle to lose weight because the sum total of their diet is such that they're consuming more calories than their goals might suggest. If you mean clean eating at reasonable calorie levels and nothing else, well. That can be very difficult to stick to and tends to suck out a lot of enjoyment from life and eating for a lot of people, and compliance to this form of dietary white knuckling can be quite low considering the long term.

If HAES was just like that and about getting healthy (incorporating more whole foods not necessarily "clean foods") and getting on an exercise program. Health at every size in that aspect would be great. But that is not how it is being interpreted by certain people who are overweight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose excess weight due to social pressure. I'm listening to the show now from the link.