Keto - major TMI help

Options
So... I am new to keto, again. This isn't my first attempt, but I am currently on day 6. Cravings are gone, energy I'd the same, hunger diminished. Great, right?

So here's the kicker. Persistent diarrhea. Every day. Every time I eat. I eat mostly carnivorous diet as I find it works best for cravings, etc. I don't push extra fat. Just whatever is in the meat usually. Even something as benign as scrambled eggs sends me to the bathroom within an hour.

Is this just the adjustment period? Is this normal? This is usually when I give up because I am tired of it and quite frankly, my bottom is sore. Sorry for the long post. Any help or comments appreciated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why are doing a keto diet? Did your doctor tell you to eat this way? Having diarrhea is miserable.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have major OE issues and find that I simply cannot do moderation. I am always hungry and all the logging is added stress. I have been on and off diets since childhood and find the simplest diet is the easiest. One cookie or donut will lead to 2, 5, who knows how many.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    That's...not normal. Personally, I had the opposite problem until my body adjusted. Are you sure you haven't gotten ahold of some bad meat?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Have you introduced a new food to your diet? Could it be an illness which has coincided with the start of keto, so it might not actually be the keto?

I'd go to the doctor. Severe, persistent diarrhea can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
  • jasperdog52554
    Options
    I don't think I've had bad meat or eggs. I do have ibs and some issues with fodmaps . Also, I drink a lot of diet pop. Could the caffeine coupled with the higher fat diet be causing it?
  • beckadaisy
    beckadaisy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much protein (source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921). The keto diet is VERY dangerous; countless studies have proven that. It just doesn't make sense for your body. Eat more vegetables; don't eat junk food. Simple as that. Weight loss occurs when your caloric intake is less than your output. Lose weight by eating less. It doesn't matter what you eat. I would also recommend reading Intuitive Eating (https://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-Eating-Revolutionary-Program-Works/dp/0312321236). This book is very eye opening as it can help you understand psychological problems behind why diets have not been working for you. It really helped me! Good luck and best wishes. Also talk to your doctor before taking advice from people on the internet.
  • monicapetich00
    monicapetich00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Can you please provide your sources as to KETO being VERY dangerous?
    beckadaisy wrote: »
    You are eating too much protein (source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921). The keto diet is VERY dangerous; countless studies have proven that. It just doesn't make sense for your body. Eat more vegetables; don't eat junk food. Simple as that. Weight loss occurs when your caloric intake is less than your output. Lose weight by eating less. It doesn't matter what you eat. I would also recommend reading Intuitive Eating (https://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-Eating-Revolutionary-Program-Works/dp/0312321236). This book is very eye opening as it can help you understand psychological problems behind why diets have not been working for you. It really helped me! Good luck and best wishes. Also talk to your doctor before taking advice from people on the internet.

• budonyan
    budonyan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother posting about your low-carb diet here! People are very against it and think it's deadly even though tons of people do it without health issues (it helped me with my health issues actually. No inflammation on my badly damaged hip anymore)

There is a Low Carb group on here.. or better yet go to a Low Carb site to talk about it and use the MFP tools.

I had BM issues until I raised my sodium to 5000mg and also reduced my fat intake to 60% of my diet (which is easy to do with the MFP tools)
  • budonyan
    budonyan Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

/sigh get out.
    I must have missed the part where she specified her protein intake. Oh right, she didn't.
    The ridiculous scaremongering is getting old.
    OP, if you want some answers that don't involve peanut gallery commentary from people who have no idea how this stuff actually works, apply to the LCHF group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    This x 1000
    Don't you love it when people suddenly think they're medical professionals when it comes to low carb?
  • jasperdog52554
    Options
    I knew I would get mixed responses, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I am a member of the low carb group but accidentally posted here, wasn't sure how to change it and was already getting some comments, so I figured I'd leave it. ;)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Especially you!
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't cause diarrhea. There's something else going on. Probably a virus...
  • Hispanicprincess
    Hispanicprincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh good glad your part of the low carb group. I am also in the group however I don't do low carb anymore. I did respond to your comment since I had a similar experience i didn't do keto but did LCHF. I had the same problems with diarrhea when my intake of fat was waaayyy to high. I usually did 65-70% fat. So I struggled with it until I lowered my fat intake and just went back to CICO. I don't have diarrhea anymore but I am also thinking it may be keto flu?
  • monicapetich00
    monicapetich00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Die off?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    You also admitted you drink a lot of diet soda. Artificial sweeteners can act as a laxative. It could be the combination of extra fat and the diet pop that is causing your problem. You could switch to seltzer water rather than drink the diet soda. Also, you can do a lower carb diet without doing "keto." My husband who is diabetic has lost 30 lbs. following a program called "Always Hungry?" by Dr. Ludwig of the Children's Obesity Clinic in Boston. He avoids grains, but is still getting carbs from fruit, dairy, vegetables (except potatoes), and beans, and the cravings has stopped for him. He was one of those guys who would literally stand by the donuts in the office and eat them like potato chips. Now, he eats an omlette and 1/2 cup of full fat yogurt with fruit for breakfast, and he's not hungry until lunch time. As many folks said, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's possible your IBS is reacting badly to keto itself due to hormones and gut flora. It was the case for me. I thought it was coincidental first time, but then when I tried it again more than a year later I had the same symptoms. It took me a couple of weeks to feel normal after both attempts.

If moderation does not work for you and keto produces undesirable side effects, these are not the only options. You could simply do low carb, without the persistent ketosis, at 100 or even 150 grams of carbs (this is still considered low carb) and see if that improves your symptoms or if something else needs to be investigated. You could pick any old diet that has rules and stick to it as long as it doesn't cause you to severely underrated. It appears you do better with rules than without, so you are in luck! There are plenty of diets with rules that don't include eating cookies.
  • jasperdog52554
    Options
    It's possible your IBS is reacting badly to keto itself due to hormones and gut flora. It was the case for me. I thought it was coincidental first time, but then when I tried it again more than a year later I had the same symptoms. It took me a couple of weeks to feel normal after both attempts.

If moderation does not work for you and keto produces undesirable side effects, these are not the only options. You could simply do low carb, without the persistent ketosis, at 100 or even 150 grams of carbs (this is still considered low carb) and see if that improves your symptoms or if something else needs to be investigated. You could pick any old diet that has rules and stick to it as long as it doesn't cause you to severely underrated. It appears you do better with rules than without, so you are in luck! There are plenty of diets with rules that don't include eating cookies.

The no donuts diet? Maybe I could write that book?

Are you following a certain plan now, or just CICO?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    The diet pop is probably the cause of diaherra. Cut it out for a week and see what happens. Also "cook" your salads. I too have IBS and zap my lettuce salads in microwave for 30 seconds or so before adding dressing-otherwise they run right through me.