Neighborhood walking...safety

Options
sweetad
sweetad Posts: 28 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started walking around two blocks every am. I love the way I feel when I do, but my dh is afraid for my safety and doesnt want me to do it. I'm only walking about 15 min. What am I suppose to do? I need to walk! I dont feel threatened..and I believe I'm careful and aware.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Can he go with you? Maybe if he goes at least once and sees it's safe, he won't be as afraid.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Have him get you some pepper spray or a stun gun...or better yet get a CCW!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've lived in some pretty sketchy areas and have rarely felt fearful of walking around alone, even at night. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or bad, but I've never had a problem.

Are you in a rough neighbourhood? Have you taken a self-defense class, or martial art of some sort? Maybe that could help hubby feel better about it. I usually take something with pointed edges on it, like keys, or my dogs.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My top tip - rehearse it. There's a reason that pilots practice emergency situations and have checklists to go to for each eventuality.

Sounds weird but my DH and I have practiced what happens if I feel threatened or, worst case, grabbed, both verbally and physically. The idea is to prepare a mental procedure, that is so ingrained that it will "click on" if I get into one of those situations. It goes something like this

1. awareness/"spidey sense" triggered
    2. Get situational awareness (remove headphones, pull down hood, etc)
    2. Quickly analyse and risk assess situation (glance at threat, consider subject behaviour, mannerisms, etc)
    3. Look around for safe spaces - pub, coffee shop, passing car, passing people, bus, etc. Start mentally flagging the environment
    4. Become unpredictable, cross road if safe and re-analyse situation
    5. Move towards safe space - even if that is taking you away from home!
    6. Start preparing for physical contact. Visualise a punch, even prepare hands (increases projected confidence)
    7. Continue moving towards safe space - escalate if necessary (flag down a car, alert a pedestrian, consider knocking on a house door if people seen inside or lights on)
    8. In worst case scenario, initiate physical contact only if you can be sure you can do it cleanly. It's worth practicing getting an elbow into a head or jerking free - ask DH to help with this if he feels comfortable.

I have to be honest, I've never got beyond 6, but I credit some of that to the confidence that the procedure gives me and my self-belief that everything is going to be OK. Essentially, all I need to do is make myself look like too much of an effort compared to another target.

I like this! I did have one situation a couple weeks back where I felt uncomfortable leaving work. Someone had changed his direction and was walking behind me (inner city 10pm). I called a friend and was talking with him until I reached my car. The guy wasn't behind be for too long after I got on the phone. It was likely a coincidence, but when that sense goes off, don't ignore it!
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    See the phone thing can work both ways. It's great as you're alerting someone that you feel threatened, but dangerous in that it removes some of your situational awareness and makes you feel more vulnerable. I'd consider incorporating a short call into step 5, but only if the benefit outweighs the risk - if I can quickly communicate where I am and there are no safer spaces nearby. Prioritise getting somewhere safe, then communicate the risk.

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    These are optional.
    Get a big walking stick
    Pepper spray (check local laws)
    Stun gun (check local laws)
    Hand gun (check local laws and only if you are 100% comfortable with the possibilities of what could happen)
    Take a self defense class

Highly recommend.
    Get a map and show him your route.
    Always have your phone with you.
    No head phones in
    No hoods or hats that may impeded sight when looking around.
    Have somewhere(s) you can go into if think there's an issue. Friends house or business.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is your neighborhood like? Crime can happen anywhere but let's be realistic--some places are safer than others.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Can you walk with a friend? Can hubby walk with you? 'm in a very small city and do walk at night-but only up well lit street, rest of the time I walk a public path by the creek.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    sweetad wrote: »
    I started walking around two blocks every am. I love the way I feel when I do, but my dh is afraid for my safety and doesnt want me to do it. I'm only walking about 15 min. What am I suppose to do? I need to walk! I dont feel threatened..and I believe I'm careful and aware.

Do you live in a bad area or have a medical condition or heavy traffic or something? What does he think will happen to you?
    Does your dh have anxiety issues? I'd talk to him about it.

I live in a pretty safe area in terms of crime but there are few sidewalks. I don't think my dh would be concerned about me being going just a couple of blocks. We walk together though and go to a paved walking path near the school or to the school track.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My DH worries about me too, especially as I usually exercise early in the morning... but I go anyway :)

I do take precautions like choosing my route to suit the conditions. eg. right now it's winter, so I run on the footpath next to busier roads where there are street lights and people, whereas in summer I will walk the shady back streets and say g'day to all the dog walkers and retirees who are out and about too.

If it's a particularly dark/gloomy/foggy day, I have a flashing light that I wear on the back of my cap so I'm more visible. I also wear high vis stuff (eg fluro pink jacket or white shirt) when it's dark out so the cars and cyclists can see me.

I do pay attention to the local news and as there is one suburb north of me that has had a few crimes recently, I don't walk the back streets there any more. I go in a different direction, or stick to the main road that has bus stops, people and a fair bit of traffic.

I also carry my phone and keeps my eyes open. I do listen to books or music, but have a headset which doesn't block out the surrounding noises.

Basically, I think it comes down to evaluating your environment... if there is a high crime rate or you have a solid reason for feeling unsafe then he probably has a point. If it's more general worry, then you have lots of good tips above.
  • rose_a_lind
    rose_a_lind Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also experienced this, somewhat, just yesterday morning when a police officer stopped me and told me it was not safe to walk at dawn in my neighborhood. We live in the country and I think it was a visibilty and traffic issue more than anything as he advised me to stick to the side roads. The only problem is it takes 10 minutes to walk on a heavily traveled road to get to the country lane. I begin at dawn, and I do wear reflective clothing.

In the beginning I was more worried about dogs than people, but I have grown braver, and learned the dogs are more bark than bite. I was also inhibited about being so visible and being evaluated. But I got over that too, with the growing sense of well-being that comes from feeling healthier.

Suggestion: could your husband walk with you until he feels reassured about your safety, and you BOTH become more comfortable with your route.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I live in Australia so don't have the safety issue thing. I do over 20,000 steps a day, around 15kms without leaving home. I just hate walking around the streets, i feel self conscience for some reason.
    I have a huge yard with 2 side gates on either side of the house, so I do 20 lap blocks all throughout the day. One block takes around 20 minutes.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So, this is walking 15 minutes in the couple of blocks around your house? In your own neighborhood? Not in a wooded area with no houses?

Unless you live in a dangerous area, that's really no different in my mind than sitting on your front porch.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What is your neighborhood like? Crime can happen anywhere but let's be realistic--some places are safer than others.

This, and time of day.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

And then leave them at home.

Or, if he's so afraid, sell the house and move somewhere safer. He obviously think you live in a bad neighborhood
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I go to the park I sometimes meet up with other walkers sometimes I just take the path myself. Always follow your gut and you'll be fine. I have gone to the park and have walked it all alone and have gotten there and had an odd feeling and gone back home. Just believe in that inner feeling and it won't steer you wrong.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

And then leave them at home.

Or, if he's so afraid, sell the house and move somewhere safer. He obviously think you live in a bad neighborhood

Defeats the purpose of them.
    Being able to protect yourself is cheaper. And crime happens everywhere.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I live in a "bad" neighborhood with a fairly high crime rate. There are some things you can do. In my case, I stay on very well-traveled streets and avoid running very early or late.

Take a self-defense class (maybe with your husband) so he can see that you're capable of protecting yourself as much as possible.
    Carry pepper spray if you feel comfortable with it. Practice spraying a few times and test it regularly.
    Make sure someone knows your general route and how long you plan to be out.
    Leave headphones or earbuds at home (or one ear only). Be aware of who is around you.
    Don't carry any additional valuables with you. ID, house key, and phone.
    Be confident and carry yourself well.
    If you feel like something is wrong, leave immediately or get someone on the phone. Start talking to a neighbor or fellow exerciser and act like you're friends. Make it clear that you belong there and people will notice if you're harassed, even if it's an act.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I have hand held pepper spray that I bought from a sports store, it's specifically made for people/women for walking/running and makes me feel safer in the area that I work in. I don't use it at home unless I'm feeling particularly paranoid, lol.