Neighborhood walking...safety

Options

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Have him get you some pepper spray or a stun gun...or better yet get a CCW!

And then leave them at home.

Or, if he's so afraid, sell the house and move somewhere safer. He obviously think you live in a bad neighborhood

Defeats the purpose of them.
    Being able to protect yourself is cheaper. And crime happens everywhere.

The only purpose of them is to appease her husband. They aren't for safety, she's already "safe". Did you miss that part?

It's an irrational request. There are four ways to deal with it:
    1 - Take his advice. Get a gun to go walking a block from home. Your place is in the kitchen anyway, he's got to be right, he's a man.
    2 - Play along. Get the gun. Leave it at home. Humor him
    3 - Find out what's wrong with him
    4 - Teach him he's wrong.

People have given opinions for all these choices already.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    sweetad wrote: »
    I started walking around two blocks every am. I love the way I feel when I do, but my dh is afraid for my safety and doesnt want me to do it. I'm only walking about 15 min. What am I suppose to do? I need to walk! I dont feel threatened..and I believe I'm careful and aware.

do you have a dog? a big, mean looking dog? if you don't have one, do you have a neighbor that has a dog you can take with you on your walks? my dog isn't mean, but she has a loud bark
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I would personally be afraid of my husband if he didn't want me to walk two blocks...If he's not controlling generally, that's irrationally paranoid and my personal experience with that has been extremely disturbing. But that's me, your situation could be completely different so:

Could he just walk with you? Time together, both get exercise, go for longer walks, win-win.

Or go with a friend or neighbor, walk together.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    sweetad wrote: »
    I started walking around two blocks every am. I love the way I feel when I do, but my dh is afraid for my safety and doesnt want me to do it. I'm only walking about 15 min. What am I suppose to do? I need to walk! I dont feel threatened..and I believe I'm careful and aware.

If you don't live in a war zone and don't feel threatened, then go for your perfectly reasonable 15 minute walk. :smile:
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Or, if he's so afraid, sell the house and move somewhere safer. He obviously think you live in a bad neighborhood

The only purpose of them is to appease her husband. They aren't for safety, she's already "safe". Did you miss that part?

1 - Take his advice. Get a gun to go walking a block from home. Your place is in the kitchen anyway, he's got to be right, he's a man.

It's not irrational at all.

Sorry I've known too many people who said they were safe and turns out they were wrong. Maybe I'm just too jumpy now. If you feel safe go for it. I personally don't always carry. But I've been lucky and always carrying when I do run into someone on my walks.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do you both have smartphones? There's an app called Companion that lets them watch you as you walk, and will alert them if you start running/get off course/if your headphones come out of your phone/if it seems like you've fallen.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog?
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Pepper Spray, Wasp Spray, Tazer, Stun Gun, legally carry a gun. Hire a Boeing AH64 Helicopter to follow you around. Or have a set of fast movers on standby from your local base. Also make sure to give them your location in case they have to make it Rain Freedom on some sorry folks.

Don't forget your IR blinker so those the eyes in they skies won't hit you. Those AC130s pack a serious ton punch.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Sorry I've known too many people who said they were safe and turns out they were wrong. Maybe I'm just too jumpy now. If you feel safe go for it. I personally don't always carry. But I've been lucky and always carrying when I do run into someone on my walks.

What would you do if guns were illegal to carry, and pretty much to own, like they are here? Hell, even pepper spray is illegal in Australia.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I walk all the time and very rarely feel unsafe. I used to live in an area that wasn't the best and I worked nights. I would listen to music (not too loudly, so I could still hear what was going on around me) and I would sing out loud. Kept people away (I'm a horrible singer).

I was almost never approached by anyone (not just because of the singing either). The few times I've been approached, it's been the "can you spare some change" variety, never the "give me all your money" type.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    wxl2b6tdc98q.jpg

Aaarrggghhh I am NOT getting into a debate over this, not too mention dangerously veering this thread off topic! You obviously love guns, and i hate them with a passion!!

The point of my question to the other poster was, what if guns and pepper spray etc were not available, would you still leave your house and exercise?
  • Owlie45
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Gosh I'm not sure. Frankly it's hard to imagine that. And kinda scary because there are a lot of sick people here who don't think I should own one. That my safety isn't important.
    I guess I would go for a big walking stick. Or my pocket knife. Stun guns are illegal in my city.
    Dog would discourage someone but I've met people where that didn't help them. Though their dogs were friendly to everyone. Mine not so much.
    I've had a 6'3 man come towards me with a hatchet. We pulled a gun and he dropped it. I don't know if I would be here to even think about it. Maybe he didn't think about how it looked and he meant no harm. Our 30 or so minutes dealing with him says it probably wouldn't have gone so smoothly. I don't know how I would handle that situation with out a gun. Some of the positions my friends and family have been in either. One raped, one attempted rape(the guys friends pulled him off of my friend and yelled run), another friend drugged through her house being beaten. SCARY as *kitten* imagining not having a gun to maybe be able to stop it.
  • Owlie45
    Options

What would you do if guns were illegal to carry, and pretty much to own, like they are here? Hell, even pepper spray is illegal in Australia.

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    first of all...what is a DH ? 2nd of all...invite them to walk with you or get pepper spray?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Do you have a dog?

This or borrow a neigjbor's to walk. Rottweilers snd dobermans tend to scare the *kitten* out of people but if trained are very smart and protective
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    The point of my question to the other poster was, what if guns and pepper spray etc were not available, would you still leave your house and exercise?

Concealed means concealed. Yes I would still take something with to inflect damage to someone/something that will try to do harm to me and mine. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Pepper Spay is an easy solution to be made, and most anyone that can read can make it.

• Owlie45
    Options
    wxl2b6tdc98q.jpg

Aaarrggghhh I am NOT getting into a debate over this, not too mention dangerously veering this thread off topic! You obviously love guns, and i hate them with a passion!!

That's not really what I got from that but ok.
    I don't know. I would probably work out at a gym rather than out and about. Probably would hang out with my grandma's old friend more. Hes the kind of guy you didn't cross. Could've met me one my age. ;)
  • Owlie45
    Options

Concealed means concealed. Yes I would still take something with to inflect damage to someone/something that will try to do harm to me and mine. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Pepper Spay is an easy solution to be made, and most anyone that can read can make it.

100%
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That my safety isn't important.

I got hit by a car going 35 mph when the driver ran a red light, I was on my bike at the time and the car hit me from behind. I was taken to the emergency room and only allowed to go home the next evening. All the guns and knives wouldn't have kept me safe. They make a radar thing for bikes that would have at least given me a chance.