Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Maybe have smaller bottles of alcohol? Same price but little bottles?

So make the wine industry entirely change their production model? Nope. Also, alcohol is a good example of something I might buy in large quantities for a party - I guess parties are out the window because 1) a host can't buy all the supplies needed on their card and 2) it's not guaranteed people would only consume their "share" at a party. No more parties, guys.

You haven't answered my question about how people who buy things in bulk to save money would be able to use their card, either.
    I do not know. I just do not know the answer for alcohol.

Buy in bulk. Who said anything about stopping you? You're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

But if people have pre set limits on their cards as you previously suggested, then surely buying in bulk would exceed those limits...

You seem to think this is so simple but fail to grasp the limitless nuanced complexities of such a proposal...
    If you bought in bulk it would just last longer so it's really not an issue. You get so much of this and that. If you want to buy it all once, do that. Your choice. You like choice, right? So choose. It's your diet and your allotment do whatever you want with it.

Nobody is being told what to eat or how to shop.

Oh, ok! I get it! Over the course of MY ENTIRE LIFETIME, I get 20,000 lbs of chicken! If I eat that by the time I'm 40, then I get no more chicken for the rest of my life. I just need to budget my whole life out! Totes got this. So on board now.

Let's see. I'll gamble that I won't like Cheetos between ages 60 and 90. So starting when I'm 30, I'll double up on my Cheetos purchases. Prunes are something I'll need when I'm older but not so much right now, so I'll save all of those for old age. This will work just fine.
    It could be set up with a yearly limit, easy. They could even print warning on receipts like they do with the gas discounts so people don't forget or go too crazy. It really wouldn't be that hard and people would start learning what healthy eating is about.

We have to do something. We are an unhealthy country and it is costing us money.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So, I'm going out for Indian food with some friends on Saturday night. Does the owner of the restaurant have to make sure our cards get marked based on what each of us had (we just get one check) or do I get docked based on what my friend eats?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

So make the wine industry entirely change their production model? Nope. Also, alcohol is a good example of something I might buy in large quantities for a party - I guess parties are out the window because 1) a host can't buy all the supplies needed on their card and 2) it's not guaranteed people would only consume their "share" at a party. No more parties, guys.

You haven't answered my question about how people who buy things in bulk to save money would be able to use their card, either.

Buy in bulk. Who said anything about stopping you? You're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

But if people have pre set limits on their cards as you previously suggested, then surely buying in bulk would exceed those limits...

You seem to think this is so simple but fail to grasp the limitless nuanced complexities of such a proposal...
    If you bought in bulk it would just last longer so it's really not an issue. You get so much of this and that. If you want to buy it all once, do that. Your choice. You like choice, right? So choose. It's your diet and your allotment do whatever you want with it.

Oh, ok! I get it! Over the course of MY ENTIRE LIFETIME, I get 20,000 lbs of chicken! If I eat that by the time I'm 40, then I get no more chicken for the rest of my life. I just need to budget my whole life out! Totes got this. So on board now.

Let's see. I'll gamble that I won't like Cheetos between ages 60 and 90. So starting when I'm 30, I'll double up on my Cheetos purchases. Prunes are something I'll need when I'm older but not so much right now, so I'll save all of those for old age. This will work just fine.
    It could be set up with a yearly limit, easy. They could even print warning on receipts like they do with the gas discounts so people don't forget or go too crazy. It really wouldn't be that hard and people would start learning what healthy eating is about.

We have to do something. We are an unhealthy country and it is costing us money.

Maybe we should just have government mandated food delivery that is prescribed by our doctor and each member of the household gets certain foods each week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also, I still want to know about my privacy concerns.
  • Zipp237
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    It would certainly be easier and cheaper for everyone to have a card but people seem really upset, so I guess a tax is better for now. Let them pay their healthcare costs via a tax. A diet system as part of healthcare would be good in the future. It is time to start discussing it now so people get used it and will calm down about it.

I still think a card would be easier and do a better job lowering healthcare costs, but fine. Tax for now, card later.

How about none of the above?
    This thread with people fighting for the right to be unhealthy just proves how much help they need and how they're incapable of eating and being healthy on their own.

The tax is a done deal. We are going to tax junk food. Reading this thread makes me even more certain that we need a card system as part of our health are system. People have to learn to eat for health because nothing is more important than our health and our children's health.

You've gotta be kidding me...
    Lady, if one of us needs help from the other I can assure you I'm not the needy one. And I sure don't need help from a government bureaucracy.
    I eat deliberately and toward my goals. I get a solid balance of macronutrients and also ensure proper intake of micronutrients as well.
    All my health markers are fantastic. My blood work is great. My blood pressure is excellent. I'm the picture of health.
    I've run a 5k in under 23 minutes. I've deadlifted 2.5 times my bodyweight. I'm also currently cutting weight shooting for single digit body fat.
    Educate me. Please tell me where I need help from the government.
    Resistance to government encroachment on my life is not proof for its necessity!

And why do you keep saying the tax is a done deal? I'm pretty sure it would have made the news by now and I sure haven't seen anything about it (I even looked).
    If you're eating healthy, then nothing changes and you're getting upset over nothing.

Done deal = going to happen. Sorry if that was confusing, I didn't mean that it had already happened. It will, though. Cannot stop that.

Don't we already tax pop? I don't hear anyone complain about that.

My liberties change!!
    And you already said you want to get rid of McD's so that affects me on a fairly regular basis (here's lookin at you, artisan grilled chicken sandwich).
    What about my Oreos? I include a lot of Oreos in my healthy diet. I have a feeling the food gestapo would try to take them from me in your plan.

And no, we don't already tax pop.
    If you're already eating healthy then nothing changes. If you're not eating healthy it's a nudge in the right direction.

Stop fighting for the freedom to be unhealthy. That is the insane thing.

You seem to be evading a lot of the questions about specifics.... Cheetohs, are they allowed or not allowed? What about Carlos' beloved Oreos? What at McDonalds isn't allowed, since you said they should stop selling the unhealthy food? I asked what was unhealthy at McDonalds and if it is unhealthy in any quantity and any frequency...

You keep saying those of us eating healthy will be able to continue to do so, but my definition of healthy eating is anything that fits within my calorie limit and provides a variety of macro and micronutrients. That includes McDonalds, Cheetohs, Oreos, ice cream and wine on a pretty regular basis...
    Again, nobody is being told what they can and cannot eat. If you want Cheetos, choose Cheetos. Your choice. Carlos can have his Oreos.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

A yearly budget would probably be better for my aims at being a junk food dealer on the black market. Sugar addicts would use up their allotment within the first 3-6 months. Then I can start buying mine and doling it out for quadruple profits. My husband's too, since I do the shopping. And maybe I could get a couple of my friends in the action. Ooooh, I could have my friends who live overseas ship in Oreos by the case. I'd make a ton of money, then one day, bam! I move to Fiji and retire... And purchase and eat whatever I want with no limits.

Guys, we have to make this happen. I know how I'm going to get rich now!!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    It would certainly be easier and cheaper for everyone to have a card but people seem really upset, so I guess a tax is better for now. Let them pay their healthcare costs via a tax. A diet system as part of healthcare would be good in the future. It is time to start discussing it now so people get used it and will calm down about it.

I still think a card would be easier and do a better job lowering healthcare costs, but fine. Tax for now, card later.

This thread with people fighting for the right to be unhealthy just proves how much help they need and how they're incapable of eating and being healthy on their own.

The tax is a done deal. We are going to tax junk food. Reading this thread makes me even more certain that we need a card system as part of our health are system. People have to learn to eat for health because nothing is more important than our health and our children's health.

Lady, if one of us needs help from the other I can assure you I'm not the needy one. And I sure don't need help from a government bureaucracy.
    I eat deliberately and toward my goals. I get a solid balance of macronutrients and also ensure proper intake of micronutrients as well.
    All my health markers are fantastic. My blood work is great. My blood pressure is excellent. I'm the picture of health.
    I've run a 5k in under 23 minutes. I've deadlifted 2.5 times my bodyweight. I'm also currently cutting weight shooting for single digit body fat.
    Resistance to government encroachment on my life is not proof for its necessity!

And why do you keep saying the tax is a done deal? I'm pretty sure it would have made the news by now and I sure haven't seen anything about it (I even looked).
    If you're eating healthy, then nothing changes and you're getting upset over nothing.

Done deal = going to happen. Sorry if that was confusing, I didn't mean that it had already happened. It will, though. Cannot stop that.

My liberties change!!
    And you already said you want to get rid of McD's so that affects me on a fairly regular basis (here's lookin at you, artisan grilled chicken sandwich).
    What about my Oreos? I include a lot of Oreos in my healthy diet. I have a feeling the food gestapo would try to take them from me in your plan.

If you're already eating healthy then nothing changes. If you're not eating healthy it's a nudge in the right direction.

Stop fighting for freedom? No. None of us will.

For mom and apple pie! Mostly the latter . . . with ice cream . . . and seconds . . .

Who's mom again?
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

My liberties change!!

You seem to be evading a lot of the questions about specifics.... Cheetohs, are they allowed or not allowed? What about Carlos' beloved Oreos? What at McDonalds isn't allowed, since you said they should stop selling the unhealthy food? I asked what was unhealthy at McDonalds and if it is unhealthy in any quantity and any frequency...

You keep saying those of us eating healthy will be able to continue to do so, but my definition of healthy eating is anything that fits within my calorie limit and provides a variety of macro and micronutrients. That includes McDonalds, Cheetohs, Oreos, ice cream and wine on a pretty regular basis...
    Again, nobody is being told what they can and cannot eat. If you want Cheetos, choose Cheetos. Your choice. Carlos can have his Oreos.

But would this card allow them to have as much as they deem healthy? Or what some random person thinks is healthy?
  • Zipp237
    Options

A yearly budget would probably be better for my aims at being a junk food dealer on the black market. Sugar addicts would use up their allotment within the first 3-6 months. Then I can start buying mine and doling it out for quadruple profits. My husband's too, since I do the shopping. And maybe I could get a couple of my friends in the action. Ooooh, I could have my friends who live overseas ship in Oreos by the case. I'd make a ton of money, then one day, bam! I move to Fiji and retire... And purchase and eat whatever I want with no limits.

Forgoing healthy food so that you can buy up a lot of sugar and sell it on some black market sounds very foolish. Is that really what you want? To become a criminal and eat unhealthy food? Those two things sound like the insane things to me.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

tumblr_lt31qhGk2n1qcbfrv.gif

Nothing in what you are describing is EASY.

im_an_idiot.png
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

My liberties change!!

So if we're able to get whatever we want with the card, just how is it different than the visa I already use and how is it any kind of a solution?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Forgoing healthy food so that you can buy up a lot of sugar and sell it on some black market sounds very foolish. Is that really what you want? To become a criminal and eat unhealthy food? Those two things sound like the insane things to me.

No no, I'm still eating healthy food! And I never said anything about becoming a criminal, just a dealer on the black market. It's kind of the same idea as having a limit on what you can buy, but being able to buy whatever you want. Don't you see the similarity??????
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

No no, I'm still eating healthy food! And I never said anything about becoming a criminal, just a dealer on the black market. It's kind of the same idea as having a limit on what you can buy, but being able to buy whatever you want. Don't you see the similarity??????

When Cheetos are outlawed only outlaws will eat Cheetos
  • Zipp237
    Options

My liberties change!!

So if we're able to get whatever we want with the card, just how is it different than the visa I already use and how is it any kind of a solution?
    It really isn't different. The only people who will have a change are people who aren't already eating healthy.

• Carlos_421
    edited July 2016
    Options

When Cheetos are outlawed only outlaws will eat Cheetos

And when Oreos are outlawed you'll find me at the black market.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What if I buy only the USDA approved foods but I hoard them and over consume them, thus continuing to be obese and unhealthy? The proposed card limiting what individuals can and can't purchase is intrusive enough, but in order to ensure full compliance and optimal health, don't you also need to monitor and control their actual intake and the activity of the individual as well? Are we going to have guards assigned to our houses to make sure that we eat the healthy foods in healthy amounts and get healthy amounts of exercise too? I mean, if that is the most important goal of our society, to be healthy for us and for our children, then we should also be willing to have someone directly monitor our consumption too, right?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

My liberties change!!

It really isn't different. The only people who will have a change are people who aren't already eating healthy.

Who are those people and what are they eating that is unhealthy?
  • Carlos_421
    edited July 2016
    Options

My liberties change!!

Oh, so if I'm already eating healthy I'll be allowed to buy whatever I want but people who don't already eat healthy will have limits on their cards for what they're allowed to buy?
  • Zipp237
    Options

Aren't black market dealers criminals? Because it sounds like you're saying, "If there were a food card, I'd become a criminal."