Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    Rottified wrote: »
    Arguing about whether the tax is good or not is silly. It doesn't matter if you are in favor of the tax or not. It's coming. You'll pay it. Don't like it? Too bad.

Personally, I'm glad. They cannot tax junk food high enough. If you don't want to eat healthy diets, pay for your healthcare. You should be eating healthy and Yes, it is my business because we all have to pay for your bad choices!
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    So @Zipp237, how much of my money will be put on this card? Does everyone get the same amount? If I use all the money on my card before it gets refilled, do I just starve? Will the goverment take the rest of my paycheck and tell me what to do with it?
    None, yes, doesn't apply, doesn't apply.

Wait, so the healthy food allowance isn't even our own money? And everyone has the same amount, regardless of income? Where does the money come from?
    So @Zipp237, how much of my money will be put on this card? Does everyone get the same amount? If I use all the money on my card before it gets refilled, do I just starve? Will the goverment take the rest of my paycheck and tell me what to do with it?

So where is the money coming from?

Who said anything about money? No offense, but these kind of questions illustrate the need for something like a Healthy USA Food Program. People just don't understand what is explained to them and need help. A card would do that. Nobody would have to understand what was explained, the card would just work. If you've used up your junk food allotment, no more junk food. No thinking required. The receipts could even make suggestions, like "How about some grapes?" It could be intuitive based on things you've purchased before, suggesting items that you like instead of more Oreos.

Now this has gotten absolutely ridiculous. There is no way that you have such a fundamental lack of understanding of how basic economics works. Everyone gets the same amount on their cars, but no payment is rendered to the food providers? No one needs to understand how it works it just works? Even my 5 year old understands that food costs money, and when told he can't have something, he wants to understand why and asks limitless questions.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt yesterday and probe to better understand the concept you were proposing as well as see if you even understand it... Today, I'm convinced like others that you are trolling. Especially since every time someone suggests that is what is going on you insist that our questions support the need for such a ludicrously flawed system...
    You guys are asking for specifics that exist and are making it way more complicated than it is. YOU still buy your food. YOU still choose your food. All the card does is prevent you from eating an unhealthy diet by limiting your poor choices and encouraging good ones. The issue about money being loaded to the card was only brought up by people who didn't understand the basic concept. Yes, that is proof that people cannot understand things and do need help.

The business about how it cannot be done is untrue. We already do it with the WIC program and what I'm suggesting isn't close to as complicated as that. We also have food stamp cards that limit people financially. All we need to do is load info onto cards so that everyone can be prevented from making bad choices. It can be done.

It's a good idea. If this tax doesn't work, it should be implemented.

No no no no. The government will not be allowed to tell us how we spend our money that we worked for. If you can't handle it then there are companies who will help you but I'm good.
    Nobody is telling anyone what to buy, just that it must be healthy. Think of it like insurance. You're required to buy it but nobody tells you which one to buy. You still have your freedom, but you're making better choices because the card won't let you make too many bad ones.

If people want to load up on ice cream or Cheetos, they need help and should be stopped.

If the card doesn't let me buy what I want then it's telling me what to buy. Get that part through your head.
    I don't *kitten* like that we have to buy health insurance. To afford health insurance my parents will have to divorce. For the next year or two it's just cheaper to pay the fine, but after that. Sorry but that piece of paper means a lot to her and she's already starts crying when the divorce part comes up. Do you want to *kitten* deal with it when it starts cause I dont. Don't you think that if people could afford it they would freaking have it!? He'll trump would have my vote for sure if I knew he was going to get rid of it. Or do some MAJOR overhaul on it.
    It is no one's place to tell someone that they can't have Cheetos or ice cream. He'll I don't even really like Cheetos and I'm allergic to a common ingredient in ice cream so if we were to get rid of them it wouldn't bother me, probably make it easier so I'm not tempted, but it's still no one's place to tell someone to have or not to have something.
    Fine, then the card tells you what to buy. You still get to choose though.

That's pretty sad about your parents, but we needed national healthcare so I guess that's a price we have to pay. It's a small price for the greater good, don't you think?

Yeah, because nothing bad has ever happened "for the greater good"...

hbmsstnub7yn.jpg
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Arguing about whether the tax is good or not is silly. It doesn't matter if you are in favor of the tax or not. It's coming. You'll pay it. Don't like it? Too bad.

Personally, I'm glad. They cannot tax junk food high enough. If you don't want to eat healthy diets, pay for your healthcare. You should be eating healthy and Yes, it is my business because we all have to pay for your bad choices!

Wait, so the healthy food allowance isn't even our own money? And everyone has the same amount, regardless of income? Where does the money come from?

Who said anything about money? No offense, but these kind of questions illustrate the need for something like a Healthy USA Food Program. People just don't understand what is explained to them and need help. A card would do that. Nobody would have to understand what was explained, the card would just work. If you've used up your junk food allotment, no more junk food. No thinking required. The receipts could even make suggestions, like "How about some grapes?" It could be intuitive based on things you've purchased before, suggesting items that you like instead of more Oreos.

Now this has gotten absolutely ridiculous. There is no way that you have such a fundamental lack of understanding of how basic economics works. Everyone gets the same amount on their cars, but no payment is rendered to the food providers? No one needs to understand how it works it just works? Even my 5 year old understands that food costs money, and when told he can't have something, he wants to understand why and asks limitless questions.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt yesterday and probe to better understand the concept you were proposing as well as see if you even understand it... Today, I'm convinced like others that you are trolling. Especially since every time someone suggests that is what is going on you insist that our questions support the need for such a ludicrously flawed system...
    You guys are asking for specifics that exist and are making it way more complicated than it is. YOU still buy your food. YOU still choose your food. All the card does is prevent you from eating an unhealthy diet by limiting your poor choices and encouraging good ones. The issue about money being loaded to the card was only brought up by people who didn't understand the basic concept. Yes, that is proof that people cannot understand things and do need help.

The business about how it cannot be done is untrue. We already do it with the WIC program and what I'm suggesting isn't close to as complicated as that. We also have food stamp cards that limit people financially. All we need to do is load info onto cards so that everyone can be prevented from making bad choices. It can be done.

No no no no. The government will not be allowed to tell us how we spend our money that we worked for. If you can't handle it then there are companies who will help you but I'm good.
    Nobody is telling anyone what to buy, just that it must be healthy. Think of it like insurance. You're required to buy it but nobody tells you which one to buy. You still have your freedom, but you're making better choices because the card won't let you make too many bad ones.

If people want to load up on ice cream or Cheetos, they need help and should be stopped.

If the card doesn't let me buy what I want then it's telling me what to buy. Get that part through your head.
    I don't *kitten* like that we have to buy health insurance. To afford health insurance my parents will have to divorce. For the next year or two it's just cheaper to pay the fine, but after that. Sorry but that piece of paper means a lot to her and she's already starts crying when the divorce part comes up. Do you want to *kitten* deal with it when it starts cause I dont. Don't you think that if people could afford it they would freaking have it!? He'll trump would have my vote for sure if I knew he was going to get rid of it. Or do some MAJOR overhaul on it.
    It is no one's place to tell someone that they can't have Cheetos or ice cream. He'll I don't even really like Cheetos and I'm allergic to a common ingredient in ice cream so if we were to get rid of them it wouldn't bother me, probably make it easier so I'm not tempted, but it's still no one's place to tell someone to have or not to have something.

That's pretty sad about your parents, but we needed national healthcare so I guess that's a price we have to pay. It's a small price for the greater good, don't you think?

It's one thing to troll. It's another thing to say something that bloody insensitive. Stop.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Authoritarian little minx aren't you?

Okay, so let's say that your little card system is actually implemented (just to take this discussion to the next logical step)... how do you propose to enforce compliance? Will the poor shmuck behind the counter be expected to yank the offending items from your cart and toss them into a 'rejects' bin to be re-shelved for the next person? Will you give that poor shmuck extra training so that they can deal with the verbal abuse that they are going to receive on a daily basis for doing their job? Will you give them extended health care benefits for the physical abuse that they are going to receive as a result of doing their job (if you don't believe this will happen, I invite you to go look up 'black Friday' videos on UTube to see exactly what people are capable of doing).

But let's say that the stores do not want the liability of having to police your little system - what then? Do we create a whole new boondoggle (that would also be horribly expensive) by putting 'food cops' in every retail outlet to enforce the new procedures? How about the black markets (both in food and in 'food cards) and new venues for identity theft that you create thru the use of such a system? Please don't tell me the cards won't be able to be duplicated - they have said the same things about all the new advances in credit cards and yet identity theft is among the fastest going crimes in the world...

And then, we get to the bottom line - who pays for all of this nightmare? You can't possible create a 'fat' tax that would be high enough to cover the costs without crashing the entire economy (I won't go into an economics lesson on this but it's simple - raise the price, people buy less, production falls, people loose their jobs, less money to spend, a never ending cycle that results in the crash).

Just like the WIC, if you're not allowed to buy it you don't. We already do this on a limited basis. It works fine.

You are telling people they can't spend their own money on a legal product? Good luck with that. And that's even apart from the privacy concerns I have raised that you have ignored.

This is a ridiculous conversation (and you are trolling) because it will never, ever pass.

The tax might, on a state and local basis, in a variety of states or cities, depending mainly on how desperate they are for tax dollars.
    People all over the world pay taxes on their food. Why are Americans so entitled?

Do they? You mean because of a VAT that applies generally? Not the same thing.

I pay a small percentage on food, but many places exempt food from sales tax because it's an essential need, so has traditionally not been taxed (especially since sales taxes are regressive). Why do you hate poor people?
    What privacy concerns? What do you have to hide? Yes, people all over the world pay taxes on food and Yes, Americans are so entitled. "I need Cheetos." Entitled!

Government bureaucrats having access to my health and medical information to be able to decide what I'm allowed to buy with your stupid card.
    That's a big stinking privacy issue.
    Stop complaining about privacy. Unless you have something to hide, you don't need it. It would help so many people. They either don't understand how to eat well or they cannot stop themselves from making bad choices. And think of all the kids being raised by people who give them cookies as treats, children who see bad examples all day long. A sugar tax isn't even close to enough to get this country healthy.

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

Also: "The makers of our Constitution undertook to secure conditions favorable to the pursuit of happiness. They recognized the significance of man’s spiritual nature, of his feelings, and of his intellect. They knew that only a part of the pain, pleasure and satisfactions of life are to be found in material things. They sought to protect Americans in their beliefs, their thoughts, their emotions and their sensations. They conferred, as against the Government, the right to be let alone—the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. To protect that right, every unjustifiable intrusion by the Government upon the privacy of the individual, whatever the means employed, must be deemed a violation of the Fourth Amendment."

If that's feeling entitled, I see nothing wrong with it, sorry.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It's for the greater good that we deprive the Kulak of their food. Ha, ha! Stupid Kulak, eating their dead evil red meat as it rots in the field and protecting their bags of evil carbs!

wzqh2jitea9y.jpg
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    "For the greater good."

jo8seif0i1dw.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "For the greater good."

jo8seif0i1dw.jpg

Don't worry though, there's plenty of vodka to be had...
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

It's one thing to troll. It's another thing to say something that bloody insensitive. Stop.
    It's not insensitive. We needed healthcare and I'm not even going to argue that because now we have it. Don't like it? Too bad.

We do need to find a way to control the costs of healthcare and getting people healthy is one good way. People need to eat healthier and be healthier. It's not fair to those who eat well to make them shoulder the burden of people who want to chow down on Oreos and Cheetos.

Can you think of an easier way than a food card?
  • Zipp237
    Options

Okay, so let's say that your little card system is actually implemented (just to take this discussion to the next logical step)... how do you propose to enforce compliance? Will the poor shmuck behind the counter be expected to yank the offending items from your cart and toss them into a 'rejects' bin to be re-shelved for the next person? Will you give that poor shmuck extra training so that they can deal with the verbal abuse that they are going to receive on a daily basis for doing their job? Will you give them extended health care benefits for the physical abuse that they are going to receive as a result of doing their job (if you don't believe this will happen, I invite you to go look up 'black Friday' videos on UTube to see exactly what people are capable of doing).

But let's say that the stores do not want the liability of having to police your little system - what then? Do we create a whole new boondoggle (that would also be horribly expensive) by putting 'food cops' in every retail outlet to enforce the new procedures? How about the black markets (both in food and in 'food cards) and new venues for identity theft that you create thru the use of such a system? Please don't tell me the cards won't be able to be duplicated - they have said the same things about all the new advances in credit cards and yet identity theft is among the fastest going crimes in the world...

And then, we get to the bottom line - who pays for all of this nightmare? You can't possible create a 'fat' tax that would be high enough to cover the costs without crashing the entire economy (I won't go into an economics lesson on this but it's simple - raise the price, people buy less, production falls, people loose their jobs, less money to spend, a never ending cycle that results in the crash).

Just like the WIC, if you're not allowed to buy it you don't. We already do this on a limited basis. It works fine.

You are telling people they can't spend their own money on a legal product? Good luck with that. And that's even apart from the privacy concerns I have raised that you have ignored.

This is a ridiculous conversation (and you are trolling) because it will never, ever pass.

The tax might, on a state and local basis, in a variety of states or cities, depending mainly on how desperate they are for tax dollars.
    People all over the world pay taxes on their food. Why are Americans so entitled?

I pay a small percentage on food, but many places exempt food from sales tax because it's an essential need, so has traditionally not been taxed (especially since sales taxes are regressive). Why do you hate poor people?
    What privacy concerns? What do you have to hide? Yes, people all over the world pay taxes on food and Yes, Americans are so entitled. "I need Cheetos." Entitled!

Government bureaucrats having access to my health and medical information to be able to decide what I'm allowed to buy with your stupid card.
    Stop complaining about privacy. Unless you have something to hide, you don't need it. It would help so many people. They either don't understand how to eat well or they cannot stop themselves from making bad choices. And think of all the kids being raised by people who give them cookies as treats, children who see bad examples all day long. A sugar tax isn't even close to enough to get this country healthy.

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

Also: "The makers of our Constitution undertook to secure conditions favorable to the pursuit of happiness. They recognized the significance of man’s spiritual nature, of his feelings, and of his intellect. They knew that only a part of the pain, pleasure and satisfactions of life are to be found in material things. They sought to protect Americans in their beliefs, their thoughts, their emotions and their sensations. They conferred, as against the Government, the right to be let alone—the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. To protect that right, every unjustifiable intrusion by the Government upon the privacy of the individual, whatever the means employed, must be deemed a violation of the Fourth Amendment."

If that's feeling entitled, I see nothing wrong with it, sorry.
    The people who made the constitution could not have imagined how things would be today. Life is fluid and adjustments must be made. So stop with privacy this and constitution that. Entitled to Cheetos. Wake up, America.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Said the hypocritical troll with a private account.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    People were a lot less healthy back then in many ways. (And Brandeis was actually talking about how times change and the protections still apply.)

But whatever, wake up sheeple!
  • French_Peasant
    Options

It's not insensitive. We needed healthcare and I'm not even going to argue that because now we have it. Don't like it? Too bad.

We do need to find a way to control the costs of healthcare and getting people healthy is one good way. People need to eat healthier and be healthier. It's not fair to those who eat well to make them shoulder the burden of people who want to chow down on Oreos and Cheetos.

Can you think of an easier way than a food card?

NO OREOS!!!!!!

5xu8stcy8z7n.jpg
  • Zipp237
    Options

Go ahead and make fun. Laugh now. When the tax passes, you're going to pay it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and make fun. Laugh now. When the tax passes, you're going to pay it.

Taxes on some food items based on a definition of "junk food" may well happen and has already as discussed regarding Philadelphia.

The card system, no way. Would you have some link to where this has been thought out to some extent by someone or are you making it up as you go?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    And even under the ACA, we don't have healthcare - at best we have a safety net in the case of catastrophic illness or accident - for the most part, the ACA provides 2-3 Dr visits a year (physicals, mammograms, vaccinations, etc). The insurance policies that are being sold for the most part are all high-deductible policies (read 6,000 to 10,000 out-of-pocket expenses before the insurance kicks in - at 60% to 70%, with the remainder still coming out of your own pocket). Go look up the statistics - the ACA has NOT increased the number of people who regularly visit their primary care physician and ER visits for routine care have actually increased since the passage of the ACA.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    And even under the ACA, we don't have healthcare - at best we have a safety net in the case of catastrophic illness or accident - for the most part, the ACA provides 2-3 Dr visits a year (physicals, mammograms, vaccinations, etc). The insurance policies that are being sold for the most part are all high-deductible policies (read 6,000 to 10,000 out-of-pocket expenses before the insurance kicks in - at 60% to 70%, with the remainder still coming out of your own pocket). Go look up the statistics - the ACA has NOT increased the number of people who regularly visit their primary care physician and ER visits for routine care have actually increased since the passage of the ACA.

More evidence that government involvement only makes matters worse.