Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's was my point they said its same thing where it isn't. Natural sugar can't be found in processed foods it's turn to another sugar Thru heat process

So you take the sugar from, say, a sugarbeet, which is mostly sucrose (which is glucose + fructose or C12-H22-O11 -- I don't know how to do subscripts here) and add it to oatmeal (a processed food) and cook it, and then it turns to another sugar. How does that work again?

(For the record, glucose is C6-H12-O6 and fructose is also C6-H12-O6, but they are structured differently.)

You can show a chemical reaction with an equation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_equation. It would be helpful if you would do that -- increase our understanding.

Also, as discussed, table sugar is sucrose, and the sugar in the sugarbeet or sugarcane is, well, sucrose, so it doesn't seem to change. What is this change?

And of course, sucrose is one of the sugars in many common fruits: 95% of that in maple syrup (not a fruit, but "natural"), 20% in an apple or banana, 50% in an orange, 57% in a peach, 60% in a pineapple. And your body breaks the sucrose down easily to glucose and fructose (and I thought fructose was the one everyone was all against these days).

I'm just not seeing how "processing" the sugar changes it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When you take one sugar and add it to something else like food. It's a chemical reaction as it cannot go back to its natural state.

So what chemical reaction occurs when you add some sugar to steel cut oats? How does this compare to the chemical reaction that occurs when you slice up a banana and add it to the oats?

Something like this apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODf_sPexS2Q

Truly terrifying.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Omg any heating process between chemicals makes a reaction doesn't matter how high the heat

So if it doesn't matter how high the heat, how about 75 degrees F?

(Yes, F. Deal, non US people.)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Lactose is sugar in milk

Want us to tax it?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's ok folks you all have thought for yourselves this evening. Good debate helped a lot

That is the most generous application of the word "good" I think I've ever seen...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Google Stephen Hopkins what's his theory in all this lol

Which one? The Mayflower Passenger? The Director of Predator 2? Or the governor of the Rhode Island Colony?

Apparently the governor guy was critical of Parliament and its taxation policies. Perhaps he had something to say about taxing sugar.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    When you take one sugar and add it to something else like food. It's a chemical reaction as it cannot go back to its natural state.

So what chemical reaction occurs when you add some sugar to steel cut oats? How does this compare to the chemical reaction that occurs when you slice up a banana and add it to the oats?

Something like this apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODf_sPexS2Q

Truly terrifying.

If it does this to some water, just imagine what it does to your intestines! #nosodiumdiet
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's ok folks you all have thought for yourselves this evening. Good debate helped a lot

That is the most generous application of the word "good" I think I've ever seen...

Meaning?

That I would not describe what has gone on the past few pages as a good debate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Lactose is sugar in milk

Wow...you got something right...yes, lactose is the naturally occurring sugar in dairy products.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Please all Google and try understand if not it's ok I don't know what else to say but tax sugar :D:D

I googled "do aliens live among us"...this was like the 2nd or 3rd link...they even make sure to include the phrase, "After all of these years of research" to...well...you know, head off the skeptical up front...

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_alien/blueplanetproject/blueplanetproject02.htm

Just google it isn't going to cut it...

All this link tells me is that South America and the US are under alien invasion. People in Canada, Europe, Asia, and Africa seem to be safe from UFO crashes.

Well, that's what the years or research indicate...yes...I'm inclined to believe it...it looks very sciencey and official and whatnot....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    So, Jen is now Lassiela?

I need a score card. And the list of 60 sugars, please.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Please all Google and try understand if not it's ok I don't know what else to say but tax sugar :D:D

I googled "do aliens live among us"...this was like the 2nd or 3rd link...they even make sure to include the phrase, "After all of these years of research" to...well...you know, head off the skeptical up front...

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_alien/blueplanetproject/blueplanetproject02.htm

Just google it isn't going to cut it...

All this link tells me is that South America and the US are under alien invasion. People in Canada, Europe, Asia, and Africa seem to be safe from UFO crashes.

Well, that's what the years or research indicate...yes...I'm inclined to believe it...it looks very sciencey and official and whatnot....

Of course it's true, it's on the internet. I'm just glad I'm not in the US or South America. I'm safe from the alien invasion.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    So, Jen is now Lassiela?

I need a score card. And the list of 60 sugars, please.

Did you find that on Google? We never solved the Stephen Hopkins mystery.