• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Elliewowo wrote: »
    Elliptical for sure! because you use more muscle so you will burn more fat, also you can practice the famous HIIT cardio (but go slow it can be very insane)

You can do Interval Training on any of those three items.

But I'm also going to question why not go outdoors? The view is better, the sounds are better, the interval training is better. Esp when you find hills to climb and descend.

I dont feel comfortable outside with people staring..

Nobody is starring...

Actually I do watch joggers in the open and cyclists because they stand out from pedestrians and amblers in the parks and streets. And it's more likely I'll know one of them.

I don't think much about them (eg not judging) but I get what she's saying....exercisers in the open are noticeable enough for me to feel more comfortable working out in a gym where everybody is dressed and doing the same. The focusing on your own workout helps too.

I feel more in control in a gym environment (which makes sense cos I'm more into weights and super sets than straight cardio)

The open may work for some but it doesn't have any kind of moral superiority nor is it a better way to do it IMO

• bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am doing intervals on the elliptical (45min to 1hr). Seems to be working well. No injuries and I get a good burn.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The one you will do is the best answer to that question. IMHO as long as you are exerting yourself in your preferred exercise the difference in calories burned (I'm assuming your favorite burns fewer than other exercises) just isn't worth all the extra work. I know every little bit helps but so does the ability and willingness to repeat again the following day. If we are talking about losing weight, exercise does not cause weight loss, only the under-consumption of calories from your TDEE does that. Exercise makes it slightly easier to do that, just like it is generally easier for a man to lose weight than a woman but that by himself doesn't help him lose weight. He still has to under consume his TDEE.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For machines the Nordick track freestyle is awesome. You can stair step and elliptical on one machine or straight up run on it. It burns way more calories then my treadmill with incline. Love my treadmill to but that freestyle on high resistance doing stairclimber makes for nice tight legs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    healthy491 wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Elliewowo wrote: »
    Elliptical for sure! because you use more muscle so you will burn more fat, also you can practice the famous HIIT cardio (but go slow it can be very insane)

You can do Interval Training on any of those three items.

But I'm also going to question why not go outdoors? The view is better, the sounds are better, the interval training is better. Esp when you find hills to climb and descend.

I dont feel comfortable outside with people staring..

Nobody is starring...

Actually I do watch joggers in the open and cyclists because they stand out from pedestrians and amblers in the parks and streets. And it's more likely I'll know one of them.

I don't think much about them (eg not judging) but I get what she's saying....exercisers in the open are noticeable enough for me to feel more comfortable working out in a gym where everybody is dressed and doing the same. The focusing on your own workout helps too.

I feel more in control in a gym environment (which makes sense cos I'm more into weights and super sets than straight cardio)

The open may work for some but it doesn't have any kind of moral superiority nor is it a better way to do it IMO

That depends...if you're just doing cardio for the sake of doing cardio it doesn't really matter...if you're training it matters. It is preferable to train for events (I'm a cyclist) in a similar manner to which the event will be held, including the environment...it's not always possible or practical, but it is far more optimal for me to train outside on my bike than on a stationary bike.

I do use a stationary bike from time to time to do intervals and whatnot...usually in the winter months...but mostly I use the gym to lift.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Internal temperature between 78 I'll speak from a different perspective. I've had a double hip replacement and I have an arthritic knee.

The elliptical will probably put the least stress your joints it's a more fluid motion. A recumbent bike is also really great.

I'm at the point where I can do all three machines now. I find that I like to mix it up and use all three machines each machine will work different leg muscles.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Internal temperature between 78 I'll speak from a different perspective. I've had a double hip replacement and I have an arthritic knee.

The elliptical will probably put the least stress your joints it's a more fluid motion. A recumbent bike is also really great.

I'm at the point where I can do all three machines now. I find that I like to mix it up and use all three machines each machine will work different leg muscles.

Ignore the internal temperature quote don't know where the hell that came from with voice to text
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I have all three....the treadmill is the easiest, but the elliptical burns crazy calories!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    The answer is whichever you prefer.

I don't like running and seldom used or burned any cals on a treadmill because I didn't exert myself that much. I find the elliptical most enjoyable and can get a really great workout on one by varying the incline/effort which I do not find difficult. I also like spin biking and rowing - - have one of both in my home - - but the elliptical always worked best for me. Just don't have enough room for one in my house and don't want to pay the high cost for one. Otherwise, I'd buy an elliptical too.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My treadmill needs a new belt. My rower sprung a leak. I don't like the stationary bike. So elliptical it is if I train indoors.

I used the treadmill as a personal trainer. I set a course and had to keep up or fall off.
    I used the rower along with lifting in circuits.
    I use the elliptical for steady state, intervals or warm-ups.

The one thing about elliptical is less impact. So if you need a break from running or Plyometrics ... And you like standing while training...

And people staring are not training. And it is only for a moment since you are moving. And they may be inspired by you.