Do you set definite goals?

Options
2»

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,988 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I did set a goal of losing 60 pounds. But I didn't put a time deadline on it. I still have 5 pounds to go and my next two goals are stay at my maintenance range, and run a 5K. The 5K will probably be in the fall, hopefully I'll get to maintenance sooner. I think goals are a great idea, but you need to set goals that are attainable. For some people it is easier to say "I'll lose 5 pounds" and then when you reach that goal set the next goal for 5 more instead of setting the goal of 50 or 100 etc.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is to be 141lbs lol so definitely nothing specific there.

My performance goals are to exercise 4x a week (running & walking), and do at least 10 miles per week. When I exceed these goals for 3 weeks straight, I will up my miles to 12 or 13 miles a week, and still do 4x workouts a week but have them 30 mins at minimum. So they are more structured goals.

I do better at having more definite goals, as my workout log looks AWESOME but my weight loss is paltry! So I'd like to incorporate weekly goals specific to weight loss, but not sure how to frame it except, 'stop binging on cookies, fatass, and maybe you'll lose weight' lol.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Yes I set goals because my fitness and nutrtition efforts also tend to drift without a race on my schedule.

I recently shifted my focus to one of "Performance Weight Management" as outlined in Matt Fitzgerald's book "Racing Weight: Getting Lean for Peak Performance." His basic premise is that endurance sports tend to favor athletes who are leaner, so a focus on getting lean to achieve faster race times( as opposed to just looking at a number on the scale) is a more motivating mindset for many people. Fitzgerald also spends a good deal of time explaining his "Diet Quality Scoring" system, since endurance athletes need high quality fuel to support the significant training volumes needed to succeed in marathon, triathlon, cycling and other endurance sports.

My execution is far from perfect, but certainly much better when I'm training for an event.

• gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    yes
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is to be 141lbs lol so definitely nothing specific there.

My performance goals are to exercise 4x a week (running & walking), and do at least 10 miles per week. When I exceed these goals for 3 weeks straight, I will up my miles to 12 or 13 miles a week, and still do 4x workouts a week but have them 30 mins at minimum. So they are more structured goals.

I do better at having more definite goals, as my workout log looks AWESOME but my weight loss is paltry! So I'd like to incorporate weekly goals specific to weight loss, but not sure how to frame it except, 'stop binging on cookies, fatass, and maybe you'll lose weight' lol.

You could try a daily goal; like, "I will faithfully and accurately log all my food and I will stay under my calorie allotment today". ;- )
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was wondering you you set definite goals?

Not like - I really wish, someday, I could lose 50 pounds
    But rather a definite goal like - I want to lose 50 pounds in the next 8 months...and then you write it down, track it, and measure your progress.

I find setting goals keeps me accountable.

I set definite goals when it comes to lifts, like I am a powerlifter so a current goal is deadlift 550lbs by April 4, 2017.

When it comes to weight, that is more grey. As its a number, the tendency to focus on the scale, is weight loss. Like if you want to lose weight stop eating and drinking...you will hit that goal. I know its a crazy a** idea!

Focus on fat loss, thats more healthy. Because during your fat loss journey you have a good chance to gain some muscle mass, so your weight may not change if your losing fat at a similar rate at which your gaining muscle, but your looking better in the mirror.

The scale is a good monitor of progress, but it should not become your God. Use progress photos on a monthly basis at a minimum to measure results and progress too.

u2534pv6he65.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was wondering you you set definite goals?

Not like - I really wish, someday, I could lose 50 pounds
    But rather a definite goal like - I want to lose 50 pounds in the next 8 months...and then you write it down, track it, and measure your progress.

When I started losing I had a weight loss goal, but no real time bounding as I had no idea what was reasonable.

Once I started running it became much easier to define performance goals, largely distance related. I'm a trail runner so comparison of time goals for distance is a bit meaningless.

To structure it I use races, but clearly injury or other factors play in. For example I had to downgrade from a full to a half marathon in March due to injury, I just had a marathon on Saturday so my next goal is an Ultra in August, then another marathon in October.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    "Without a plan, plan to fail"