Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    cardio = everyday - 60 - 80 minutes
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm typically in the gym about 2 hours 4 days a week. that includes the stretching,water breaks and rest between sets (no chitchatting as i always have my headphones on full blast :-) ) someone else mentioned that anything over 45 minutes will actually build up your fat? not sure what to do??? please help!!

as long as youre making progress with each workout it shouldnt matter how long youre in the gym.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Currently 3 hours a week of running and 3 hours a week of bodyweight strength training.
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Crossfit 1 hour 3x per week, can barely finish the hour, non Crossfit days, swim 45 minutes
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    In general my current workout is

Strength train 3x week for 15-25 minute a session

Run 3x week for 30-60 minutes
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    weights: 45min-75min

Cardio: 20min - 45 min (The latter barely ever happens)

4-6 days a week
  • rapidity
    rapidity Posts: 10
    Options
    For optimal muscle gain keep workouts under 45 min. This is because of hormones. So 1 session 45 min. You could do multiple sessions a day like a morning and late afternoon session. But mind the time of 1 session. So an hour also works for people, but under 45 min. is optimal for muscle gain.
  • M8R5on8ym
    M8R5on8ym Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 Mon, Wed, Fri 30 mins

Walking/Jogging (C25K ish) Tues, Thurs 30 Mins

Walking 3 miles into town Saturday & Sunday (recently tried starting to walk/jog back)

Basically try to do 30 mins a day
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    For optimal muscle gain keep workouts under 45 min. This is because of hormones. So 1 session 45 min. You could do multiple sessions a day like a morning and late afternoon session. But mind the time of 1 session. So an hour also works for people, but under 45 min. is optimal for muscle gain.

Too much useless broscience ... Time has nothing to do with it , I can do 16 sets in 60minutes . some can do 16 sets in 45minutes . Depends on rest between sets , intensity , your personal goal etc..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i go four days a week upper/lower split usually about an 1hr 15 minutes..maybe 1hr and a half..

run/abs on wens about 45 minutes total...

two hours seems like a lot...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    45 minutes to an hour. I was told by a trainer not to work out more than 45 min, 60 min max. Go short and go hard. When you workout more than 1 hour your body releases the stress hormone called Cortisol, which eats your muscle. More does not always mean better. You should change it up and see if you see better results. 45 minutes, intense!
    this sounds like garbage to me....
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    4-5 days a week 45 mins-1 hour
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The release of cortisol is not garbage, it does depend on your fitness level and body though. A more "fit" person will release lower cortisol in response to stress on the body.

Cortisol functions to be released from the adrenal glands in response to stress (i.e. exercise). In response to the moderate to intense training, cortisol will make more fuels available, through a process called gluconeogenesis, which is the process of making new glucose. These fuels will be available in the liver where glycogen (storage form of glucose) levels will have increased. This will also block the action of insulin and not make glucose uptake by the muscle possible, thus increasing blood glucose. In addition to this process, cortisol will increase muscle protein breakdown and fat in the adipose tissue, depleting the energy stores and releasing this fuel into the bloodstream for use.
  • rapidity
    rapidity Posts: 10
    Options

Too much useless broscience ... Time has nothing to do with it , I can do 16 sets in 60minutes . some can do 16 sets in 45minutes . Depends on rest between sets , intensity , your personal goal etc..

No broscience.. real science.. I didnt say you cant gain if you go over 45 min. I am however saying that will not give you OPTIMAL gain.. has to do with hormones as I saw somebody else post just now.. for muscle gain also per exercise do 3 sets of 4-10 reps.. other methods might work, but science shows time and time again what actually works best, also they measure actual muscle gain better without the fat gain most gym members think is muscle weight...