7/1 - 2 miles
    7/2 - 5 miles
    7/3 - 3 miles
    7/4- hiking day with Skip
    7/5 - 5 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles

20 of 110 miles

exercise.png

It was a hot 75F with 95% humidity this morning. Way hot.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    July 1 - 5 mile run with 3 miles of hills....10 min pilates
    July 2 - 2 mi "trail running fail".....4 miles real running :-p
    July 3 - 2.5 mi hard run
    July 4 - Rest day
    July 5 - 3 mi easy run....1.5 mi walk with sprinting intervals....25 min strength/pilates/stretching
    July 6 - 4 mi run

20 miles of 60 (all bonus miles go to our invalids)

Our overnight low was 77. Sheesh. I started my run at 6am and I was thankful for the light breeze every time I turned south. Humidity was slightly better today with 80% :-D But I can honestly say the weather was the last thing on my mind. My legs were DEAD. I started aching last night and I presume it's because I did some super fast (for me) sprinting yesterday morning. So my first 2 miles this morning were a rough warm up and then mile 3 got even worse. My legs just got heavier and achier. Amazingly, at 2.75 miles and .25 from home, I decided to turn off away from home and force myself to make 4 miles. I started running faster and it seemed like my legs finally loosened up and relaxed.

@lporter229 Last summer I did evening running because I liked the lower humidity but I came back covered in gnats every time! I've had a few stuck to me this summer but since I'm running early now it's waaaay better. But dealing with humidity.

@Tweaking_Time Horseflies scare me! Don't have them here but I grew up with them. Good luck with getting back into running and tri-training :)

@lps1dragonfly This thread will definitely help you get more consistent! It's a very encouraging environment.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    We're under an excessive heat warning from today through Friday, and in our forecast we don't have any days under 88F for a high for the next two weeks. It's going to be mid-90s the rest of the week ... Overnight lows aren't even dipping below 70F... is this what it's like to live in the South @Stoshew71 @skippygirlsmom @9voice9 (and any other south-US dwellers!)?
    Pretty much, yeah. We're under "Hazardous Weather Outlook" with highs from 95 to 99 the next 5 days, and lows in the mid-70's. Didn't look at humidity, but it stays in the 80% range around here for July thru mid-September.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 11.5 Easy
    7/2 - 5.86 Recovery
    7/3 - 18.11 Long Run
    7/4 - 2.0 Strength Training Warmup
    7/5 - 9.0 Tempo
    7/6 - 14.07 - Easy

total 60.53 of 289

Woke up to thunderstorms about 4:30am and checked the radar. Looked like it was 50/50 that it's clear out so I could get my run in. Figured I had 2 choices, take a chance and have to call it off mid-run due to all the lightning, head to the gym and channel my inner Tony Stewart and NASCAR run around the track. Chose the gym which meant 84 laps around the track. Goal was to do marathon pace plus :40 which meant roughly 9:40 mile splits or 1:36/37 lap splits. Been a while since I've ran on the track but with a climate controlled environment it was a nice relief from the mid 70 degree 85%+ humidity we've been having in the Midwest early of the morning. Figured there would be more people on this track today but in the couple hours I ran I was the only one doing any sort of distance so it was a rather lonely run. Typically there is 5-6 people on the track and I can settle in with one of them and talk a bit to pass the time. All my miles splits were 9:36-9:40 with an average of 9:38 so I feel fairly good with this run.

qe2owtwlh1km.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning you made my head spin too. I guess another thing I was thinking about when I read what you wrote is this, for me, generally, faster runs are harder on my joints, so the V02 Max runs could be stressing more than just your cardio system more.
  • 5512bf
    Options
    So a question for everyone. I have begun adding in regular LT effort runs because they not only "feel good" (strange as that sounds) but they are known to be super helpful. Based on my health and age perhaps this caps my mileage, which was anticipated, and starting to run again in the summer heat also is a limiting distance factor. No big deal, I know mileage will increase. But then I start reading a bit more about Joe Friel running, specifically in regards to aging. I turn 45 this year, and I know that while I have the youth to build strength and endurance I am also doing this against the current of aging which is pushing against my ability to gain strength and endurance. Again, no big deal, just do it, right? Well, I read some blog posts of Joe Friel's specifically about aging and the importance of runs stressing your VO2Max as opposed to simple aerobic endurance and LT running. It perks my interest a bit because, yes, I had planned on having my next run be intervals stressing my VO2Max (actually how I stumbled upon the blog post).

Anyhow, the question I wanted to ask was, has anyone here done this? Going from the standard high mileage endurance training plans that typically use LT as the cap of effort in training to working VO2Max, and what was that experience like? Also, for you aging athletes out there, what do you think of Joe Friels philosophy (if you are aware of it) that aging athletes are better served by maintaining their VO2Max as they age by making sure to regularly exercise at that effort as opposed to slowing down and running slower and easier as they age?

All this is sort of making my head spin as I really can't help but think that I might need to flip my training about 180 degrees seemingly.

A good training plan will incorporate all aspect of running including threshold & VO2Max running. The key is balancing them and maintain roughly an 80/20 split, 80 being Easy running which would fall in the Z2 or lower Z3, depending on what your plan calls for. VO2Max runs would probably only be incorporated about 5% and only for about 5 weeks or 1 Mesocycle for long distance runners. LT runs are probably more beneficial to longer distance runners. My current training plan probably has 5 or 6 VO2Max runs that are intervals of 600m - 1600m, but 10-12 tempo or pace runs of 45min - 2 hours.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn My guess is that you'll eat those calories back weather you want too or not! A few days into recovery, it's like my body wants to carb load all over again! If you cardiovascular system thinks it can handle a run and your muscles aren't 100%, you could probably still get some slow miles or a nice walk, bike, swim, ect to loosen it all back up.

@WhatMeRunning I accept that age is holding me back. But only because I have a 21 year old 3 weeks into a running programme and he's killing it. :tired_face: i'd been in denial until recently. I know there are some women my age or older that are new-ish to running and have respectable times and distances. There are men your age that are still killing a 10k in under 30 minutes. Gah! I don't think you are near your natural limits just yet. When you've been logging 150+ miles/month for 5+ years at or near your racing weight, I'll accept that you've found it. (Don't sell yourself short my friend). I'm really interested in this VO2 training, don't understand it. But do want to indulge the potential I have. So if you fellas can dumb it down just a bit.... :blush:

Edit- I don't understand it because no way I can run with my HR in anything below z4. My garmin thinks I have a z6 no matter how many times I try to correct it. Maybe I'm still conditioning my CV system. Or I'm an alien. My seemingly natural body temperature is 97.5F (36.4C) too.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7/1 - Baseball tournament...no chance to run.
    7/2 - More baseball!
    7/3 - Family day. Not starting the month so well.
    7/4 - 3.82 miles on a beautiful, cool morning.
    7/5 - Bodypump class, followed by 1.5 miles on indoor track.
    7/6 - 4.01 miles through the soupy air...HOLY HUMIDITY!

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for the Galloway video! That's very encouraging!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @michable - Congratulations! Such an amazing accomplishment.
    @shanaber - I wish I had the discipline to go in the morning! Such an amazing way to start the day but I can't seem to drag my butt out of bed until the last minute.
    @ddmom0811 - I always see pictures from the Princess runs and even though I'm not a big Disney fan, they look like such a blast!
    @lps1dragonfly - I started with c25k and loved it. If you're looking for something to do once that program is over, the bridge 2 10k app is just as great!

You're all making me feel lucky with the recent Pacific Northwest weather... it's been perfectly overcast for the most part. I can't imagine running in the heat and humidity, although, I'm assuming at some point you get acclimated? The hottest I've run in was an 85 degree day and not being used to it at all, I had to break my run up into two parts to get in my mileage.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm walking with my little man, 3-4 miles a day really easy. Not going to try running until my quads feel good for a full day. Today feels like a big calorie day. I'm SUPER hungry today.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning you made my head spin too. I guess another thing I was thinking about when I read what you wrote is this, for me, generally, faster runs are harder on my joints, so the V02 Max runs could be stressing more than just your cardio system more.
    Yeah, he discusses that. Basically if you are not accustomed to regular runs at/near LT then you need to build up to that first before easing in to testing your VO2Max. To do so you are basically running all out, and should only do it for 2-4 minutes per interval max from his recommendation.

So the way I'm almost looking at it is, I know my estimated VO2Max. It is below average for sure, even after running for two years. I'm obviously not running in such a way as to increase it, and if I keep running the way I am then aging will lower it even further. Unless I change things, per this guy anyway. He is a very well respected name though, so there is that.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Ha ya. I can tone it down. But it can be difficult on a fast course. Luckily the temps will still be pushing 100f at 8:15pm. So it will be easier to slow down.
  • 5512bf
    Options
    Yeah, he discusses that. Basically if you are not accustomed to regular runs at/near LT then you need to build up to that first before easing in to testing your VO2Max. To do so you are basically running all out, and should only do it for 2-4 minutes per interval max from his recommendation.

So the way I'm almost looking at it is, I know my estimated VO2Max. It is below average for sure, even after running for two years. I'm obviously not running in such a way as to increase it, and if I keep running the way I am then aging will lower it even further. Unless I change things, per this guy anyway. He is a very well respected name though, so there is that.

Some authors will take the VO2max longer than that. I'm using Pete Pfitzinger 18/70 Advanced Marathoning plan and I've got a 8 mile run with 3x1600 @ 5k pace so I'll be going 6:45-7:00 on these intervals on that workout. I can do 1000's in under 4:00 but 1200's & 1600 intervals for most will go past that 4:00 range.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm really interested in this VO2 training, don't understand it. But do want to indulge the potential I have. So if you fellas can dumb it down just a bit.... :blush:

Edit- I don't understand it because no way I can run with my HR in anything below z4. My garmin thinks I have a z6 no matter how many times I try to correct it. Maybe I'm still conditioning my CV system. Or I'm an alien. My seemingly natural body temperature is 97.5F (36.4C) too.
    Here are a couple of blog posts (each part of a series so you might follow the links to prior/following posts as well). They discuss the scientific findings basically.

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/09/aging-and-performance-part-3.html
    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/09/aging-whats-behind-the-decline.html

In a nutshell, it is demonstrated that the largest loss among athletes compared to sedentary peers is in VO2Max, even among older athletes that still do endurance events regularly. The cause seems to be that as one ages they tend to not push themselves as hard. The lack of pushing one's VO2Max causes it to deteriorate at a similar rate and even down to a similar volume as someone who is sedentary. Granted, they have better endurance than someone sedentary, but they are much slower now and that is primarily due to the greatly reduced VO2Max, they aren't able to get as much oxygen on their runs as if they had a higher VO2Max still. The way to maintain that VO2Max is to continue stressing it regularly by doing those hard workouts, and not sacrificing them due to either a self-imposed imagination of being too old, too frail, or simply due to wanting to get the mileage up to compete in that 1500K you dreamed about.

Hope that dumbed it down a bit.

In my case, at my current abilities, once I get over about 50 mpw it is tough to keep at least one fast run per week, but ideally there should be two, one around LT, and one around VO2Max. So, instead of being focused on building mileage over cycles so much, I am taking this to mean I should instead work my VO2Max first, and take whatever mileage gains I can get from speed improvements basically. Even after that, I would best be served by still making sure I keep the higher HR workouts in long term just due to getting older. That really changes things. Instead of building miles and waiting for speed to come, the focus is on intensity and waiting for the mileage to come.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    July
    1-4.6mi with incline between 1-13. slow and steady
    2-nope
    3-nope
    4-nope
    5-hip and foot cramps, nope
    6-flare. jog or yoga tonight. not sure which

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning -I can't really answer your question directly because I am not familiar with Joe Friel's work, but since I am the same age as you, I thought I would chime in with my experience, for what it's worth. I am a long time runner of close to 20 years (did my first HM in 2003, my first full in 2013). Although I ran regularly, I never started "training" until about 2 years ago in 2014 when I read Matt Fitzgerald's "80/20 Running". After very closely following his recommended method of training for several months, I noticed remarkable improvements in my speed. As you know, his plan calls for doing 80% of your running at easy aerobic pace and 20% at increased intensity. Most of my training weeks consisted of one run at LT pace and one run of speed intervals pushing VO2Max. As I said, this led to significant improvements in my overall endurance racing speeds. As my goal was to qualify for Boston, this was the focus of my training. However, at the same time, I did end up really reducing my other race times as well, all the way down to the 5K. However, I think that through all of this, the gains were seen more on the long distance end of the spectrum than the shorter races.

Now to get to your question. When I am not training, I continue to run, but mostly just maintenance type stuff. For about 2-3 months of the year, I just average about 25-35 mpw with little or no speed work. I view this as sort of an extended recovery period, much like the way you would have a cut back week in a heavy training schedule. What happens during this time is what is kind of interesting. Since I have already built a pretty good aerobic base, I rarely see any gains in my easy pace during this time. On top of that, when I get back in to training mode, it is very noticeable that I am not where I was previously in terms of LT or VO2Max. These workout become quite a challenge when I am first getting back to them. However, once I get into my routine of incorporating them again, they become easier and I still think I am making overall improvements in those areas. So it's kind of like two steps forward during training, one step back during maintenance. But when I get back to training, those two steps forward seem to happen faster, if that makes sense. I think where age comes into play is how necessary those recovery periods become (both the cutback weeks during training and the maintenance blocks of time). I don't think I would be able to sustain a year round training schedule that included this type of speed work. Maybe when I was younger, but at my age the fatigue is definitely more apparent.

I don't know for sure for how long I will continue to see improvement doing this type of training. I just got back into a training cycle, so my fall half marathon will be the first test.

• Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell, intensity trumps mileage almost every day of the week - especially if you're trying to lose weight. Besides, who has TIME for all those miles? As much as I like running and would love to impress people with my mpw, I know I don't have time for any of that - so I rely on interval workouts, along with 5-6 mile runs.