July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Judgement call rest day today. Even though I have had a number of days off of running I have been dong a lot of core and upper body strength exercises too. Plus my legs are feeling it from the intervals yesterday. Seems like a good opportunity.

7/1 - 0 miles for me but 3 for Black Toe Month (BTM)
    7/2 - Nada, just strength exercises (sorry BTM)
    7/3 - 0 miles for me but 2.5 for BTM
    7/4 - 0 miles for me, 7 for BTM
    7/5 - Rest day from running, just strength and balance exercises.
    7/6 - No running, more strength and balance exercises.
    7/7 - WTF? No running? Extra strength and balance exercises then!
    7/8 - 0 miles for me, 4 for BTM
    7/9 - Rest day

0 of 100 miles completed for me
    16.5 of XXX miles completed for BTM

exercise.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @Amandajs232 Thank you for your advice! That sounds like a great plan.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty what percentage of exercise calories are you eating back, and how are you calculating them?

I started out eating back zero exercise calories, but as I progress with running I have come to the conclusion that I need to eat some. This past week has been a bad indicator of what I usually do... I have had zero appetite and have been eating 1200 or less net, so no wonder I'm having trouble running. My calorie goal is actually 1580 and I usually eat between that and 1700. I have absolutely no idea how many calories I'm burning when I'm running... every app I use tells me something different, and the differences are pretty substantial.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    July 8- 4.0 miles
    July 9- 3.8 miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty what percentage of exercise calories are you eating back, and how are you calculating them?

I started out eating back zero exercise calories, but as I progress with running I have come to the conclusion that I need to eat some. This past week has been a bad indicator of what I usually do... I have had zero appetite and have been eating 1200 or less net, so no wonder I'm having trouble running. My calorie goal is actually 1580 and I usually eat between that and 1700. I have absolutely no idea how many calories I'm burning when I'm running... every app I use tells me something different, and the differences are pretty substantial.

Unfortunately thats common. Definitely go by the lowest and eat back as you feel. I like to compare the burn of others, like @kristinegift , I know she's faster, younger and going to burn more than I do. My calorie burn is about 75% of hers. @ddmom0811 and i are closer in age, but she kills it cycling and see a trainer. My burn is still probably less, but it appears our Garmin numbers are very close. For awhile I had a burn similar to my husbands and just thought I was a bad *kitten*. Crazy burn numbers with my first garmin. I'm 46 5'5" 123-127lbs and I seem to burn about 80 calories a mile at an easy pace, 10-11min/mile. Faster, less walking runs, it's closer to 100cal/mile. Or best guess, I'm burning about 400 calories an hour above my bmr.

TLDR: You just get a feel for about what is right. All the calculations are best guess.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks @_nikkiwolf_ ! Sounds like you had a suprisingly spectacular run! Those are the best.

My leg, butt, foot is kinda extra grumpy this morning. Maybe I'll phone the doc for walking permission Monday instead of going rogue. *sigh* How am I gonna catch any Pokémon if I don't get out.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - oh my gosh, can't believe you ran in that temperature with a hangover! Good times! Well, good times the night before. :wink:

@MNLittleFinn - I bet your legs were dying to get out there!

I was back in my cycling group today. OMG it was SO hot! Two people had flats which added at least 20 minutes to how long it should have taken so by the time we got back the temp was about 96 (inside the car 102!). I didn't get dropped from the group but it was really hard. If we hadn't had to stop for flats 2x, not sure I would have been able to keep up.

On the calorie discussion:
    I burn approx 90 per mile running. I'm amazed how much cycling burns. I went 34 miles and Endomondo says 1354 calories. Before I wore a HRM it used to say 2200 calories for a ride that long. I sometimes do eat back all of the calories, but not usually. But I gained 5.5 when I was away on vacation for 2 weeks so I cut back this week. I lost all that by going down to 1700 the last 5 days. Hmmm. As I'm typing this it that makes me wonder if the reason I had such a hard time on the bike today is because I cut back my calories this week.

I usually have my calories set for 2100 a day. I know it sounds like a lot for a female, but I tried various numbers and I kept losing and I was all ribs. So I finally figured around 2100 is perfect for me to maintain and when I run/cycle/lift (which is 6 days a week or more), then I add a few hundred more depending on hunger/mood. When we do the 55 mile rides, I will eat around 3000. I know it sounds crazy, but when I was losing my original 50 pounds 3 years ago, I was at 1500 calories and that was with walking 3 miles a day.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride - HOT :sweat:

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    July 1 - 5 mile run with 3 miles of hills....10 min pilates
    July 2 - 2 mi "trail running fail".....4 miles real running :-p
    July 3 - 2.5 mi hard run
    July 4 - Rest day
    July 5 - 3 mi easy run....1.5 mi walk with sprinting intervals....25 min strength/pilates/stretching
    July 6 - 4 mi run
    July 7 - 30 min indoor cardio, 30 min strength/pilates
    July 8 - 6 mile run with 2 miles of hill repeats
    July 9 - 5 mi run

31 miles of 60 (all bonus miles go to our invalids)

Judging by the supposed temp and humidity, my run should've felt similar to yesterday but it sure felt awful warm and humid. I think it was more breezy yesterday. I got a late start at 9am. Big storm kept me up last night, blah, blah. Oh, and I've had a sore throat since Thurs. Boo.

So I headed out 2 miles from home so I'd be guaranteed 4 miles. That first 2 miles was rough. I walked a little. My street is half mile long so I was back at my street at 3.5 and made a last minute decision to pass it up, twice, so I ended up with 5 miles.

Why oh why can't I remember to use my heart rate monitor???

@RespectTheKitty Running and weight loss seems tricky to me. I was only doing moderate effort exercise when I lost all my weight. When I started running I crashed and burned not eating enough. Eat as much as you can as long as you're losing. Find what works for you.

@elise4270 Great job on the walk :-D
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

On the calorie discussion:
    I burn approx 90 per mile running. I'm amazed how much cycling burns. I went 34 miles and Endomondo says 1354 calories. Before I wore a HRM it used to say 2200 calories for a ride that long. I sometimes do eat back all of the calories, but not usually. But I gained 5.5 when I was away on vacation for 2 weeks so I cut back this week. I lost all that by going down to 1700 the last 5 days. Hmmm. As I'm typing this it that makes me wonder if the reason I had such a hard time on the bike today is because I cut back my calories this week.

I usually have my calories set for 2100 a day. I know it sounds like a lot for a female, but I tried various numbers and I kept losing and I was all ribs. So I finally figured around 2100 is perfect for me to maintain and when I run/cycle/lift (which is 6 days a week or more), then I add a few hundred more depending on hunger/mood. When we do the 55 mile rides, I will eat around 3000. I know it sounds crazy, but when I was losing my original 50 pounds 3 years ago, I was at 1500 calories and that was with walking 3 miles a day.

I have got to get my bike out. You are superwoman!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

So this is the second time this week a side stitch has gotten her like that, what causes that?

@skippygirlsmom Usually for me, I get a side stitch when my stride gets out of line/timing with my breathing (or if I'm still working through a big lunch). The best way to get rid of one, besides walking, is to make sure you breathe out when the opposite foot hits the ground. Runners' World swears by it, and so do I! It will also help you focus in on your breathing pattern and get it back in sync.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/four-ways-to-stop-the-dreaded-side-stitch
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 2 miles
    7/2 - 5 miles
    7/3 - 3 miles
    7/4- hiking day with Skip
    7/5 - 5 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - rest day
    7/8 - 5 miles
    7/9 - 8 miles

33 of 110 miles

8 miles with Skip, poor girl got an awful stitch just before mile 5ish we walked a half mile to 6 she started to run again and soon she was doubled over crying it hurt so bad. I stayed with her until she calmed down and finished my run. I started back in her direction and she was running towards me holding her side, but she finished the 8. Pretty hot. We went down to the greenway but decided to go up and run through Research Park instead so lots of up and down on the sidewalks, much harder run than the flat Greenway.

The fun thing was she had a chance to talk to a man I see all the time. He and I have chatted before but it's the first time she's been there. He has run marathons in all 50 states and he such a great guy to talk with about running. He talked to her about running and about school. He told her he ran Boston this year and talked about that experience, he's run it a few times before. I could talk to him all day.

So this is the second time this week a side stitch has gotten her like that, what causes that?

In the past, it was from eating large meals too close to run time. I used to need about 2-3hrs. But fast forward 8yrs and 60-90min will do it now.