Options
    @greenolivetree you'll definitely be able to hit 100 miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    cljoe7 wrote: »

This. Go see the doctor - - physical therapy can be really, really helpful.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Somebody_Loved I agree with @cljoe7 . Don't hesitate to see someone for an injury like that.

I figured as much but was trying to self-diagnose to avoid another doctor visit. I'll schedule an appointment - thanks for the feedback!

I did that for too long and ended up doing way more damage
    than if I'd just gone sooner. I hear ya though - I hate going to the doctor!

Same here. But then when I did get medical advice, I was misdiagnosed.

Knee is often related to IT band and/or hip imbalances, if you want to go though some self assessment, you probably could get an idea of what's going on.

I found even when I did that, my form was wrong, well because I was weak in my medial glutes and my psoas were tight, and my left glute was sleepy lazy, and so we're my lower abdominal muscles, and my core was weak, my back muscles tried to pick up the slack (spasms!), and my pelvic floor muscles were on overload- they wouldn't relax, and nerves were pissed, and I have hypermobility in my SI joints that torque my hips and I'm incredibly uneven.... ahhh! I needed help! LOL! :smiley: yes, I even had knee pain opposite the bad hip and medial shin splints in the bad hip side.. *kitten* gets real!!! I'm all about phoning the PT asap.

I'm leaving all that "behind" me (with rear hip surgery) :wink:

And a section of my sciatic nerve is demyleninated, and I guess the piriformis muscle irritated it with constant spasms which became just a knot of a muscle... crap... I have had a rough go of it...

Just take care of yourself... :heart:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Ran at 4:30am for the first time in over a year today. It was either that or run in 30C temps this or yesterday evening (86F). No thanks, us British are not built for the heat! I enjoyed it though, as much as the alarm call was a shock to the system.
    Way to go! I'll be back at my 4:30am runs soon as my summer is quickly closing in on me.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Knee is often related to IT band and/or hip imbalances, if you want to go though some self assessment, you probably could get an idea of what's going on.

I found even when I did that, my form was wrong, well because I was weak in my medial glutes and my psoas were tight, and my left glute was sleepy lazy, and so we're my lower abdominal muscles, and my core was weak, my back muscles tried to pick up the slack (spasms!), and my pelvic floor muscles were on overload- they wouldn't relax, and nerves were pissed, and I have hypermobility in my SI joints that torque my hips and I'm incredibly uneven.... ahhh! I needed help! LOL! :smiley: yes, I even had knee pain opposite the bad hip and medial shin splints in the bad hip side.. *kitten* gets real!!! I'm all about phoning the PT asap.

Gah, sounds exhausting! So glad you've figured it all out - I hope to get there. I've tried to do a bit of self-assessment - My right foot pronates a bit so my left side has to make up for it. However, I've also been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and posterior tibialis tendonitis and I'm sure it's all connected. My IT band and calves are too tight, and my quads and hamstrings aren't very strong. I've been much better about stretching and very recently (3 weeks ago) started cross training with barre classes (yoga, pilates, body weight exercises) so I think the next logical step is PT.

Have to get a referral first (another doctor's appointment) and then will be in PT next week!

ETA: Thanks so much for sharing - I hope you're on your way to recovery, as well. In the year I've been running, I've never felt healthier or unhealthier.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved No one tells you all the things that silently happen during the years of being sedentary, moderately active, or even pregnancy.

There should be a clinic for those of us that wish to take up running and need to get our bodies lined back out.

I'm so lucky to have a PT and a system where she's just a call away anytime I need her.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved I can totally relate to your statement of feeling healthier and unhealthier because of running! But @Elise4270 is right. So much happens with years of being sedentary too. I think it just develops slowly and people don't realize how their bodies are deteriorating.

@louubelle16 I've never ran earlier than 5:40am :0 Great job!

@MNLittleFinn Yes, it's been a long time coming but I feel I can make 100 miles this month :) Short of any sickness or injury - knock on wood.

@skippygirlsmom Thanks for the insight. I also just want to make sure I'm not burnt out when the weather cools off because I know the miles will be so much more enjoyable then :)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @Elise4270 @greenolivetree - That's so true. Maybe I didn't notice the sedentary ailments as much because they're slower to develop and they weren't preventing me from doing anything (because I was sedentary). I feel a sense of urgency with the running injuries because they prevent me from running, and that totally sucks.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm having serious thoughts of starting a streak

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    July 1 - 7.7 km - 148/6:09
    July 2 - 5.8 km - 147/6:56
    July 3 - 11.6km - 151/6:22
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 7.0 km - 149/6:34
    July 6 - 6.5 km - 147/6:32
    July 7 - 4.4 km - 139/7:00
    July 8 - 5.7 km - ???/7:00
    July 9 - 6.0 km - 130/8:30
    July 10- 7.0 km - 146/5:54
    July 11- rest
    July 12- 9.0 km - 146/6:30
    July 13- 7.0 km - 157/6:00
    July 14- 7.7 km - 152/6:07
    July 15- 9.0 km - 155/6:20
    July 16- 7.0 km - 140/7:15
    July 17- 13.0km - 150/6:20
    July 18- 8.0 km - 135/7:30

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @somebody_loved maybe you have someone like this in your area? I'm taking Skip to see him later in the month.

http://physioworkshsv.com/

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty you're doing awesome! You're gonna blow your goal away!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @somebody_loved maybe you have someone like this in your area? I'm taking Skip to see him later in the month.

http://physioworkshsv.com/

Thank you! Yes, I've found a couple places just like this but my insurance only covers providers in network... currently trying to find an in-network provider that specializes in sports rehab.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    7/17: 6 miles (basketball officiating)

Monthly total: 112.25/140 miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Gah, sounds exhausting! So glad you've figured it all out - I hope to get there. I've tried to do a bit of self-assessment - My right foot pronates a bit so my left side has to make up for it. However, I've also been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and posterior tibialis tendonitis and I'm sure it's all connected. My IT band and calves are too tight, and my quads and hamstrings aren't very strong. I've been much better about stretching and very recently (3 weeks ago) started cross training with barre classes (yoga, pilates, body weight exercises) so I think the next logical step is PT.

Have to get a referral first (another doctor's appointment) and then will be in PT next week!

ETA: Thanks so much for sharing - I hope you're on your way to recovery, as well. In the year I've been running, I've never felt healthier or unhealthier.

Good plan. Sometimes the hardest thing you'll do is make the doctor's appointment. Like most runners, I have only two modes of dealing with injury: denial and hypochondria. Hypochondria has been more helpful for recovery.

I've been in PT twice. The first time, making the appointment was one of the hardest things I've done in my life, because it meant admitting I was hurt and needed help. The PT diagnosed the underlying cause of my issues as something I never would have figured out on my own, and had me do stuff that cleared up problems that I didn't even know were problems until they went away.

The second time, I could tell I had issues because I was compensating for something, but I couldn't tell what I was compensating for. The PT spotted it in the first visit, got me different exercises, had me back for fewer return visits this time around . . . and got me running again. I had to DNS a 10K, and later had to DNS a 5K because I face planted just when I was about healthy enough to run (but not really race) a 5K again. But I made it back to my next half mostly doing stuff the PT told me to do plus having some guidance from my coach on training to recover from injuries.

That doctor's appointment is really, really important. I'm glad you have it.

• Somebody_Loved
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Good plan. Sometimes the hardest thing you'll do is make the doctor's appointment. Like most runners, I have only two modes of dealing with injury: denial and hypochondria. Hypochondria has been more helpful for recovery.

I've been in PT twice. The first time, making the appointment was one of the hardest things I've done in my life, because it meant admitting I was hurt and needed help. The PT diagnosed the underlying cause of my issues as something I never would have figured out on my own, and had me do stuff that cleared up problems that I didn't even know were problems until they went away.

The second time, I could tell I had issues because I was compensating for something, but I couldn't tell what I was compensating for. The PT spotted it in the first visit, got me different exercises, had me back for fewer return visits this time around . . . and got me running again. I had to DNS a 10K, and later had to DNS a 5K because I face planted just when I was about healthy enough to run (but not really race) a 5K again. But I made it back to my next half mostly doing stuff the PT told me to do plus having some guidance from my coach on training to recover from injuries.

That doctor's appointment is really, really important. I'm glad you have it.

Thanks, I know you're right. And I'm glad PT has been helpful for you, too! I think I just got tired of going - I was going twice a week earlier this year for plantar fasciitis and tendonitis issues. It definitely helped, but was time consuming and costly (about $1000 when all was said and done).

Now that I'm going to get a provider in my network, it shouldn't be as pricey but for some reason I'm still hesitant to go. Maybe it's like you said - going back means I'm admitting that I'm hurt and need help.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Back up north for 10 days but forgot my laptop back in Florida, so mostly short typo laden posts in the cards for me. 10 slow miles with my usual running partner today, mostly on trails. Happy to be out of the heat and humidity, and down to a more reasonable low 80s day with 70% humidity.

7/2 - 9 miles
    7/4 - 1 mile
    7/5 - 7 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/8 - 3 miles
    7/9 - 5 miles
    7/10 - 11.5 miles
    7/12 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/13 - 8 miles
    7/14 - 2 miles
    7/15 - 5 miles
    7/16 - 10 miles
    7/18 - 10 miles

Total: 78.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 101.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    July goal.....run

7/1 snorkel 4 hours
    7/2 7.53
    7/3 3.23
    7/4 3.29
    7/5 rest
    7/6 4.39
    7/7 3.25
    7/8 7.24
    7/9 celebrated our 40th anniversary!
    7/10 3.85
    7/11 tapering I guess...
    7/12 4.15
    7/13 off
    7/14 off
    7/15 3.20
    7/16 HonuNui and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    7/17 taper, Music Man, Thai food and friends
    7/18 13.2 One can count on the weather in east Hawaii: mornings will be rainy or misty. Except today, when I planned the SHEPower 1/2: it was sunny, beautiful blue skies, HOT and MUGGY, even tho I started at 530am. It wasn't pretty, but it's done. A pic along the way:
    9s4kwczcbfwt.jpg

Total 53.33

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo in August
    ......Lead Singer in September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    3.1 Easy miles on the treadmill at work. I was bored and had planned on a rest day ran out of stuff to do so I went for a run LOL. The good news is I felt like I could go forever.

7/1 - 0 mi - 0 mi
    7/2 - 0 mi - 0 mi
    7/3 - 5 mi - 5 mi
    7/6 - 0 mi - 5 mi
    7/7 - 0 mi - 5 mi
    7/6 - 6.2 mi - 11.2 mi
    7/9 - 4.5 mi - 15.7 mi
    7/10 - 2.5 mi - 18.2 mi
    7/11 - 0.5 mi - 18.7 mi
    7/13 - 7.6 mi - 26.3 mi
    7/16 - 2.6 mi - 28.9 mi
    7/18 - 3.1 mi - 32.0 mi
    Goal : 50 miles - 18.0 miles to go.

Races :
    6/11 Run and Ride 5K Cedar Point - Done
    10/8 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #1
    11/5 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #2
    12/3 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #3
    12/11 Santa Hustle Half Marathon Cedar Point[/quote]

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui congrats on completing your 1/2 under the hot, muggy conditions!

I did 2.11 miles today and it felt like a slog. Glad it's done.

exercise.png