July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Anybody else every feel anxious/psyched out about running? I'm totally freaking out about trying to run tonight. It's currently 90-feels like 100. It will still be upper 80's and feel like mid 90's when I want to run. All I'm wanting to do is an easy 1 mile warm up, some hill repeats (maybe a mile) and maybe a 1 mile cool down. I'm planning to run up a shorter but steeper hill and take full breaks in between. Normally I run up a long hill and run back down.

@stoshew71 You win for scary story of the day ;)
    @cljoe7 Nice workout!
    @instantmartian Paul McCartney?! Cool.
    @rimir74 Great report!

I see we have a new button to click....."insightful" :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Glad everyone is OK! That's freaky!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Anybody else every feel anxious/psyched out about running?

I do sometimes, especially when I'm trying something new for the first time. Generally though, I'm just excited. :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh! "Insightful"
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Great save getting your family out of the vehicle first and then worrying about the car. Good to see that random strangers will still step up and help out.

Great runs everyone. I feel for all those running in crazy heat and humidity. Has been getting up to a balmy 80F here for the last week. Which is absolutely scorching for us. 70F would be considered a hot day so 80 is just killer.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 you should have called me, I would have picked you all up. I didn't think about it when I saw your post on FB. Glad you all got home safe.
    @honunui great HM run, love the picture. Are you having issues with the weather, I see some storms are headed your way
    @kristinegift love the pictures, now that is the Jersey I know. I think Skip recently brought a pair of Saucony tight shorts with big pockets that she loves, I'll have to look if that is the brand
    @MNlittlefinn OMG too funny sleeping on the couch, @greenolivetree latched on LOL I'm dying here!!!
    @jessicamcb wow that sounds painful I hope you are okay
    @mobycarp love the pictures
    @5beautifuldays you can't get down on yourself about the pace, the heat is brutal. I'm running at least 60 - 75 seconds slower a mile it is what it is.
    @adrianchr92 no better reason then to run a streak than "kudos from random strangers" LOL
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber and @skippygirlsmom , I'm alright this has been an ongoing issues for the last 13 years. Severe overpronation plus joint hyper laxity and flat feet equals knee caps popping out all over the place. I was an idiot and hit a steep decline too hard. Tonight will likely be a short and declineless run :( . On the plus side though I'm bidding on a treadmill in town which would save my butt so much anguish come winter
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 you should have called me, I would have picked you all up. I didn't think about it when I saw your post on FB. Glad you all got home safe.

Thanks everyone for your concerns. @skippygirlsmom We were all the way up in Cleveland, TN and I had Jenn and 2 girls, plus all of our stuff. Jenn is going to need a car while she is without one, and the Insurance Co is picking up the tab for 80% of it. But thanks for the offer. About as long as I was on the phone with State Farm getting the tow and rental car reservation set up, I still think you would have taken longer to gone up there. I appreciate the sentiment tho.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @JessicaMcB My husband has had knee injuries and surgeries and his knees will lock up or pop out :-/ Good for you for running! And good luck on the treadmill. I'd love one for summer :-D

@skippygirlsmom The whole thing was just hilarious in the end. After he was dressed for work he asked me "What's wrong?" and I said "I missed my run." So he said, "Oh. Because of me? You couldn't get out, could you?" and had the most evil grin on his face :p

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 I'm always excited at night for my run the next morning. I think having to think about it all day is stressing me out! Now there's a chance of thunderstorms 7-8pm. Grrr!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom The whole thing was just hilarious in the end. After he was dressed for work he asked me "What's wrong?" and I said "I missed my run." So he said, "Oh. Because of me? You couldn't get out, could you?" and had the most evil grin on his face :p

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....If my wife were the runner, I'd do the same thing....But I AM the runner, and she just rolls over and takes more covers after I get up....I only couch it if I;m waking up more than an hour and a half before her.

On a side note...I hate waiting for registration drawing results.....
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    gave blood. 1st time.
    it says no vigorous exercise and no alcohol for 24 hours.
    walked around my work building and started bleeding again

soooo. grumpy.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 I'm always excited at night for my run the next morning. I think having to think about it all day is stressing me out! Now there's a chance of thunderstorms 7-8pm. Grrr!

I truly hope that they pass you by so you may enjoy your run without worry. :smiley:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom , @Elise4270 , @kristinegift - went shopping with my mom today and there was a running store called "The Running Store". So she wants to go in Chicos and I said I'll meet you after I go in the running store. They carried Oiselle! First time I'd ever seen it and not heard of it until @skippygirlsmom posted the article and then you all mentioned loving it. So comfy! Can't WAIT to run tomorrow in my new capris and bra. Plus it was 30% off. I went in for socks - ha! I may go back before my visit here is done. Although they didn't have a ton of stock, sort of one in each size type of thing.

@Stoshew71 - wow, that is scary. Glad you stopped and got out and SO glad you are all okay.

@mbaker566 - I used to give blood every time I was eligible but after I had been running about a year, my iron would be too low. So one time I tried and they said I was at the minimum level so they took the blood. I was weak for about 2 weeks. That has been about a year ago, and I haven't given since. I feel bad when they send out requests and say they are low, but it was just so awful, I don't want to experience it again. I remember I went to run two days afterwards and it was like I just couldn't do it. I had to walk and even that was hard. Then I had a bike ride a few days later (those intense 34 mile group rides I do) and I couldn't keep up with the group and had to just drop out and my husband had to just drop out and stay with me.
    That being said, the first year I was running and giving blood I had no trouble at all. I would run the next day and didn't have any problems. Not sure why my iron suddenly went down but I know it was always close to the minimum level even before I was a runner.

@greenolivetree - LOL - my husband has learned that if I don't get my run, he better watch out. I try to be considerate and not take forever if we have plans. Try, being the operative word there. I get excited/anxious before races where I've paid. But when it's just me running, I figure anything can happen so whatever happens I'll learn something.

@5512bf - never heard of that type of machine - sounds very cool.

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    July
    2Jul - 8k
    3Jul - 6k
    5Jul - 6k
    7Jul - 7k
    9Jul - 10k
    10Jul - 8k
    12Jul - 5k
    14Jul - 6k
    16Jul - 10k
    17Jul - 8k
    19Jul - 7.7

85.5/100

In Scotland we had 2 weeks of sun in May and it has been miserable and wet since. Today was scorching - 29C at peak and still 26C at 7pm when I went to running group to do intervals 1.7km to track (and back) 10x 300m with 10x 100m recovery. Despite how I felt, I did not actually die. :blush: They took pity and let me miss a lap - I think that was preferably to carrying me to a hospital. Felt good to have done it - under no circumstances would I have gone out on my own in the heat so the group thing seems like a win. I had on my MFP challenge t-shirt which got some interest.

It is now 22.30 and 23C - practically unheard of here. I have a full belly and roasting so sleep might be tricky tonight.

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 that's rough. good news is i was right on with my iron. i guess i'll find out tomorrow :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 you probably are right, but I would have had you covered.
    @ddmom0811 I knew that @kristinegift runs on their running team that is why I tagged her to read the article. Let me know how you like their "stuff"!
    @greenolivetree too funny. The joke in our house (when the other half is home) is that "night time activities" strictly depend on the length of the race the next morning. :wink:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 How scary re: the car fire! Glad everyone is ok! Hope insurance can work something decent out for you.

@greenolivetree & @instantmartian The trail was pretty! I loved all the bridges. I'm a sucker for bridges. And none of the weeds have made my legs itchy, so I'm thinking it wasn't poison ivy I was trudging through for a half mile!

@skippygirlsmom If they are bullet tights, know that I am SO JEALOUS that she can wear them! I have bullet capris with giant side pockets that I love, but the short version just rolls up into underwear after about 3 steps. A tragedy!

@ddmom0811 I hope you love it!! I'm a huge fan of Oiselle for a ton of reasons, but mostly because their stuff is seriously so comfy. And 30% off is a great deal! Some of their stuff is so popular that it almost never goes on sale (Roga shorts, for example).

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Knee was still off today so 5.6k was the best I was going to do. Might rest day tomorrow, not sure yet.

07/01- 4.28km
    07/02- 5.01km
    07/03- Rest/Weights Day
    07/04- 5.48km
    07/05- Forced Rest Day (Husband OOT)
    07/06- Forced Rest Day (Husband OOT)
    07/07- 6.13km
    07/08- 6.13km
    07/09- 6.13km
    07/10- 3km
    07/11- 8.3km
    07/12- 4.5km
    07/13- 4.6km
    07/14- 10km
    07/15- Rest Day
    07/16- 11km
    07/17- 10.1km
    07/18- 6.1km
    07/19- 5.6km

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I did it! Was 88 feels like 95 or something like that. All those high humidity morning runs must've helped me adapt. Yeah I was sweating a lot but I honestly felt like this was an easy run/workout. My 1 mile warmup run was a breeze. Then did 1 mile of 7 short hill repeats - run up/walk down so 50% running - which honestly felt too easy. I finally pushed it on the last uphill and realized I should've been working harder the whole time maybe ;) 20 ft up each time x7 for 140ft gain. I definitely could've done more. The mile home was hardest but that was because I was having trouble keeping it easy. Only real complaint is the gnats :-p

@katharmonic Great workout!

Oh, I almost forgot! Thought this was so cute. Normally dogs chase people right? Well when I got to the bottom of my hill one time and turned around to run back up, there was a tiny dog that had followed me down. That little thing ran so fast away from me, so it looked like I was chasing the dog instead of vice versa :D When it got to the top it did a lot of barking to let everyone know I was coming.