July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I'll be doing mine tomorrow before it gets stupid hot again. Like @MNLittleFinn said, you got this! :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    So last night we had a nice thunderstorm. This morning was not nearly as hot, and it actually felt like good running weather. Of course, I was already leaving for work so I couldn't go running; I'll do that at the gym later. But it got me thinking. Do I think I can try a morning run this weekend? I'm kind of tempted to see if I can. Not sure if it'll be Saturday or Sunday, but it might be worth a shot. I will keep you updated. :)

Come on now @respectthekitty I can even get my 16 year old up by 7 to run and heck she's a teenager they are programmed to sleep until noon. :sunglasses::sleeping: ha ha
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ran with my faster buddy through more fun trails this morning after doing some hiking with a former classmate. Legs were pretty shot so even though my heart rate stayed low, I started dragging a bit after hitting the 7 mile mark. Going to take a short recovery run or full rest day tomorrow though as I'm doing a bunch of biking, and have a 15 mile run planned for Sunday.

7/2 - 9 miles
    7/4 - 1 mile
    7/5 - 7 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/8 - 3 miles
    7/9 - 5 miles
    7/10 - 11.5 miles
    7/12 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/13 - 8 miles
    7/14 - 2 miles
    7/15 - 5 miles
    7/16 - 10 miles
    7/18 - 10 miles
    7/19 - 3.5 miles
    7/20 - 14.5 miles
    7/21 - 8.5 miles
    7/22 - 10 miles

Total: 115 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 65 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    So last night we had a nice thunderstorm. This morning was not nearly as hot, and it actually felt like good running weather. Of course, I was already leaving for work so I couldn't go running; I'll do that at the gym later. But it got me thinking. Do I think I can try a morning run this weekend? I'm kind of tempted to see if I can. Not sure if it'll be Saturday or Sunday, but it might be worth a shot. I will keep you updated. :)

Come on now @respectthekitty I can even get my 16 year old up by 7 to run and heck she's a teenager they are programmed to sleep until noon. :sunglasses::sleeping: ha ha

Gotta agree here @RespectTheKitty - it sounds like you've already admitted defeat. Just do it! You will be amazed at how good it feels to be out there in the early morning watching the day come to life while others are in bed asleep. And then you will have a great day knowing the toughest part is behind you!

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Wow! Amazing job!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Gotta agree here @RespectTheKitty - it sounds like you've already admitted defeat. Just do it! You will be amazed at how good it feels to be out there in the early morning watching the day come to life while others are in bed asleep. And then you will have a great day knowing the toughest part is behind you!
    @RespectTheKitty - I agree too with @skippygirlsmom and @lporter229. You just have to do it. Have all your gear laid out the night before, set the alarm and get up and get dressed before you can change your mind and then head out. I love running in the morning and I feel so great the entire day. The more you do it the easier it will be to get up and get out!

• shanaber
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - What fantastic progress you are making! You look terrific!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @lporter229 @shanaber Thanks!!! A large of my progress was due to running! :smiley:
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - Once you try it you will be hooked. I was not a morning person, but I love getting up when it is still dark out and everything is relatively quiet and I can get a run in and just clear my head before the insanity of the day starts. Not saying I might not lay down later in the day if I get a chance and take a nap... but it all balances out.

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Great progress!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I've been known to sleep in my running clothes so i don't even have to change
  • shanaber
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

I'm doing The Oatmeal's "Beat the Blerch" Virtual HM on September 18.

http://www.beattheblerch.com/virtual.html

I think @shanaber is doing it too (or the meatspace one).

You can also do a 10K or a marathon.

I don't know if it supports any charity. I'm just doing it because I adore The Oatmeal (cartoon).

In particular:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

(If any runners haven't read that, they need to. Now.)

I actually signed up for this a while ago. I too adore The Oatmeal.
    Re: Beat the Blerch Half: I was soooo sad last year that I was running the Dogfish Head Dash in Delaware the same weekend as the Beat the Blerch Half in New Jersey. My only consolation was that it was a priority for this year. Little did I know that it would be changing cities. I am still devastated. I thought about doing the virtual race, but I'm really not a virtual race kind of person. I want cake, and blerchs, and couches, and, most of all, I want Matthew Inman! I suppose I can arrange for the first three things on my own - drag my couch outside my house, leave cake along my course for myself, and make someone with pillows strapped to themselves chase me or something, but I highly doubt Matt would come to middle-of-nowhere Pennsylvania to run with me. :disappointed: I absolutely love that man and everything he does. I think I might need to travel for one next year. I would prefer to not let three years pass me by without participating.

@RespectTheKitty @instantmartian

I'm going to be running the HM alone, wearing the T-shirt and bib, and bringing sugary purple grape drink and many snacks, and while I'm in The Void, I'll be thinking of killer hornets, Krakens, Pegasus, lightning storms and rainbows.

I'm actually going to Seattle to run it with my daughter! She is running and training again (using Hal Higdon's training plan) now that she is finished with school and while she is studying for her board exams. The race is just a couple of weeks before she has to start her residency so it was perfect timing for us!
    We are both looking forward to all the Oatmeal's fun with Blerches chasing us and cake at the aid stations (not sure I will partake though)! Should be a blast :)

For those of you who have no idea what we are talking about or want to know about the races (actual and virtual) check out http://www.beattheblerch.com/
    You can also check out the Oatmeal's writing on running, which is hilarious, here http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running/
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty I've been known to sleep in my running clothes so i don't even have to change

Now that's efficiency! :wink:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I don't know about you all, but I definitely feel this heat and humidity taking its toll. As runners, we all know that there is a fine line between training hard and training too hard. I have definitely been riding that line these past two weeks. Unfortunately, sometimes our plans don't account for weather. It's up to us to make those adjustments. Run smart guys and be safe out there...I know for many of us, it's been brutal! Happy Friday and Happy Running!

exercise.png

I had a similar conversation with my trainer earlier this week. I was looking ahead to an 18 miles w/ 14 @ MP run in a few weeks. He told me to run my effort/HR and let the pace land where it lands. We went over a HR range to get to to in the warmup and to then to try and hold that range for the run. These are the conditions that inexperienced, and even experienced, runners end up getting hurt because they are hyper focused on the pace and not the effort. He then explained, well bragged, about training for the Olympic Trials doing 10-12 miles high altitude tempo runs at 5:45 pace, but was able to run in 5:20's when the conditions were better. He said his effort for the tempo runs was right on, but the pace didn't show it. Focus on your proper efforts and appropriate HR per workout.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

That's how I sleep before 90% of my runs...well, My running shirt goes on in the morning...too much hassle putting on my HRM in the morning otherwise
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @tattooeddolphingirl78 I have to agree with the others, outstanding job - and the smile on your face says it all.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

That's how I sleep before 90% of my runs...well, My running shirt goes on in the morning...too much hassle putting on my HRM in the morning otherwise

and trying to put a sports bra on before I've had coffee, well that's just not happening
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    OK, and you all have convinced me. I am going to do my darndest to get up early on one of the weekend mornings and try a morning run. I am thinking it will be Sunday, since Saturday is usually a rest day. Too bad I can't have one or more of you call me at like 5:30 AM to make sure I'm out of bed. :smile:

Do you have a coffee maker? You're a runner, so I'm assuming yes...I have mine set to start brewing 10 minutes before I get up, so I have coffee ready to go. It's a great incentive.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    OK, and you all have convinced me. I am going to do my darndest to get up early on one of the weekend mornings and try a morning run. I am thinking it will be Sunday, since Saturday is usually a rest day. Too bad I can't have one or more of you call me at like 5:30 AM to make sure I'm out of bed. :smile:

@respectthekitty LOL watch out or we all will be calling you I set my alarm for 5 so I get the satisfaction of hitting the snooze a few times, makes me feel better.