July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ you sound like me when I'm looking at races. I just go and sign up and then think about it
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Actually, I've been thinking about that marathon for a few weeks now, torn between "I want to do it" and "that's absolutely crazy" - it's just that I finally had a "what the hell" moment today and decided to register, just so that I could stop obsessing about wether I should do it or not ;)

Signing up for the half however, that really happened before I thought about it. They use the same online registration system, and as I signed up the the marathon, it showed me a list of other races with the hint that if I registered for multiple races during the same booking process, I'd only have to pay the transaction fee once. So maybe I spent 58 CHF on the half, but I saved 5 CHF in the process. Can't pass up a deal like that, right? o:)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Actually, I've been thinking about that marathon for a few weeks now, torn between "I want to do it" and "that's absolutely crazy" - it's just that I finally had a "what the hell" moment today and decided to register, just so that I could stop obsessing about wether I should do it or not

Thinking like that almost got me to switch my September half to a full. Decided though that I want/need to have more than one half completed before I go for a full. Totally understand where you are coming from with it. I'm already looking for a spring full for next year, so I can register and be committed to running one.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty if you get up and run, I will too

BOOYAH
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    bnacg0m3qwzz.jpg

Pic from this morning's run. That hill on the left throws off my elevation so bad on garmin! This is a flat loop around the lake but garmin gave me 575ft! There's a mountain bike trail up that hill and I really think garmin thinks I'm running up there. So I had to edit and just put 0ft although 50 or 75 would probably be reasonable.

@_nikkiwolf_ What's crazy? ;)
    @5BeautifulDays Hang in there. 45 min is better than giving up! This heat will end. Eventually.
    @RespectTheKitty I'll be cheering you on as I run my 4 miles in the morning!
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

exercise.png

I was so hot....I kept running towards the trees and its shade...today was Day #1 for 10k training.
    Have a great night
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    7/23: 8.5 miles ( 5 mile jog, .5 mile walk, 3 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 147.75/140 miles

Goal met!

Now the rest is icing on the cake!!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ You won't find them on strava. It was in a park. Just imagine a road that in 20 meters ascends 5 or more. It was like 30 degrees steep, completely killing your momentum. Oh and if it makes you feel better I'm about 250 euros poorer but I can go to 2 races and got a pair (or two) of shoes that must arrive soon
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree @louubelle16 thanks for your advice/views. @_nikkiwolf_ I am very amused by your using the term dark side to describe miles. Dark side is phrase used all the time but very clever for Imperial measures (for non geeks the Imperial army is the Star Wars baddies).

I was always a km girl because the treadmills in my gym were in km's but now I only run outdoors and the running group I just joined talks in miles. The other reason is mental; I used to think my distances sounded quite low in miles and it was easier to increase by 1km but now I am trying to get over 10km, I think I can cope with the idea of 7-8miles better than 11-13km (even though I know it is the same).
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    July
    2Jul - 8k
    3Jul - 6k
    5Jul - 6k
    7Jul - 7k
    9Jul - 10k
    10Jul - 8k
    12Jul - 5k
    14Jul - 6k
    16Jul - 10k
    17Jul - 8k
    19Jul - 7.7k
    21Jul - 11k
    23Jul -7.3k
    24Jul - 11.7k

112.7/100

Just done my longest ever run at 11.7km - I was told it was a 10km route but it turned out a bit longer. Mostly flat with 2 big hills in the middle. Had a super big brunch of veggie sausages and eggs and now wondering if I will have some wine later to celebrate? (Any excuse right?)

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    7/1: Rest/moving day
    7/2: 8 miles
    7/3: 3 miles
    7/4: 5.8 miles
    7/5: 8 miles
    7/6: 5 miles
    7/7: 5.2 miles (am)
    ......: 6.4 miles (pm)
    7/8: Rest day
    7/9: 5.8 miles (Belmar 5 miler: 37:42)
    7/10: 14.9 miles
    7/11: 3 miles with Monday coffee crew
    7/12: 5.7 miles (includes 5k XC race)
    7/13: 8 miles
    7/14: 7 miles (am)
    .......: 6.4 miles (pm)
    7/15: Rest day
    7/16: 18 miles
    7/17: 12.6 miles
    7/18: 6.3 miles
    7/19: Rest day
    7/20: 8.2 miles
    7/21: 8.2 miles again
    7/22: Rest day
    7/23: 10 miles
    7/24: 15 miles

Another great run in the books! Challenge today was 15 miles at an 8:30 pace, and we did a pretty darn hilly route (~800 feet elevation gain over 15 miles) and I would have been spot on with 8:28 pace if not for the one GIANT hill that I walked up for an 11 min mile... oops. With that mile, I paced 8:38 which is still pretty fast for a longer run. Besides the majority-uphill miles though I was hitting 8:15s and 8:20s pretty consistently and it felt really good. It was fairly warm (68F to start and 75F to finish, with 65-85% humidity) but there was a nice breeze that made it bearable. Both my runs this weekend have gone really well; I feel like I'm finally really, truly over my slump now that my employment stress is gone. 7 weeks til my final attempt to qualify for the 2017 Boston Marathon. Eeek!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Felt good this morning so I drove to work and went for a run in the park before starting. I found a new path that connects the office I am currently at to the one I was at where all the paths and trails are. It is only about 2 miles so 4 miles out and back. Not bad if I want to get a run in outside without being on the busy streets. Hip felt good this morning until I turned around to head back then it started hurting. With a quarter mile left I had to start walking because it was hurting to much to keep running. It feels like the top of the IT band is aggravated but this is just a guess. I did some good stretching and foam rolling when I got back to the gym so hopefully that and a few Tylenol and I will be OK by Wednesday or next Saturday so I can finish the month off.

7/1 - 0 mi - 0 mi
    7/2 - 0 mi - 0 mi
    7/3 - 5 mi - 5 mi
    7/6 - 0 mi - 5 mi
    7/7 - 0 mi - 5 mi
    7/6 - 6.2 mi - 11.2 mi
    7/9 - 4.5 mi - 15.7 mi
    7/10 - 2.5 mi - 18.2 mi
    7/11 - 0.5 mi - 18.7 mi
    7/13 - 7.6 mi - 26.3 mi
    7/16 - 2.6 mi - 28.9 mi
    7/18 - 3.1 mi - 32.0 mi
    7/20 - 2.6 mi - 34.6 mi
    7/24 - 3.7 mi - 38.3 mi
    Goal : 50 miles - 11.7 miles to go.

Races :
    6/11 Run and Ride 5K Cedar Point - Done
    10/8 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #1
    11/5 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #2
    12/3 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #3
    12/11 Santa Hustle Half Marathon Cedar Point
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @vandinem and @greenolivetree Love the pictures thank you for sharing them.

@Orphia - Prudent. I think I need to memorize this word and it's definition. I think I am lacking in it's application.

@Amandajs232 - Congrats on the longest run yet!

@kristinegift - 7 weeks is a long time to finish up training for a BQ time. I hope you have cooler weather so you can qualify.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 did you at least nap between those run LOL

Oh yeah I did. Lol.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 - love the race report.
    @kristinegift - great about the slump ending and the job!!! It seems like you've been running great to me all month! If that's a slump, I'll take it. :wink:
    @9voice9 - sorry about your run. It happens to all of us. Many times I don't want to go out and usually I feel much better afterwards but not every day.

Ran in Central Park today with my daughter. She went 10+ and I went 6+. We got caught in the NYC triathalon. It was really cool - they had a bike in front of them that said "1st place professional woman" and "2nd place..." ,etc. They were FAST! The women started first so we only happened to see them. The bike in front of the runner would yell for all of us to move over. We checked it out online when we got back to her apt and saw they swam in the Hudson. Yuck, at least there are no alligators. But, that wouldn't be for me.

Anyway, had a nice run and even though it was 82 at 6:15am it didn't seem too bad for some reason. Headed back to my mom's in Virginia today and then back to Florida on Tuesday. My summer vacation is quickly coming to an end, but it's been great.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride
    7/10 -35 miles biking
    7/11 - 5 mile run + strength training
    7/12 - 5 mile run
    7/13 - 4 miles
    7/14 - 4.3 miles
    7/15 - 4.5 miles
    7/16 - 41 miles biking
    7/17 - rest day and driving 12 hours