Options
2»

Replies

• sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    sarahkw04 wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the grain to an extent. I think it largely depends on your goals and how your body handles exercise. I'm working with a nutritionist, and one of the things she's has me implement is eating something within 30 minutes of my powerlifting sessions. For me (key phrase - "for me"), this has made a big difference with muscle recovery.

I really think it comes down to the individual. Just because it works for me to eat a banana before my 6am sessions and breakfast right after, doesn't mean its right or will work for everyone. Experiment and figure out what works for you.

You do understand (at least in the U.S.) there are no qualifications to be a "nutritionist".

NUTRITIONIST

Definition and Regulation: A nutritionist is a non-accredited title that may apply to somebody who has done a short course in nutrition or who has given themselves this title. The term Nutritionist is not protected by law in almost all countries so people with different levels of and knowledge can call themselves a “Nutritionist”.

From this article:

http://eatrightdc.org/dietitian-vs-nutritionist/

Understood - I used incorrect language, as she is a registered dietitian, at the medical center's nutrition counseling center.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that everyone is different and nutrient uptake will be different from person to person, especially based on the intensity of each person's workouts. Find what works for you. A lot of people in competition or athletes will eat shortly after intense workouts to refuel and resupply their body with nutrients for recovery or to prep for a later workout. It matters little to your average exercise enthusiasts.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I did the P90x I attempted the P90x, the instructor said that you need to eat food within 15 minutes...anything after that and your body starts to cannibalize itself!

this made me chuckle.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i eat as soon as i get back from the gym, which usually is around lunch time.
    now one PT says you should eat at least hour before a class. i dont really listen to all that it just needs to suit my timings.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have a very complex set of steps:

1. If I'm hungry, I eat.
    2. . If I'm not, I don't.

It doesn't matter what time of day it is, if I worked out or not, etc. The qualifier is that "hungry" is not the same as bored, depressed, anxious, angry, or anything else. Hungry actually means hungry.

I've lost 18 pounds and 10 percent body fat since March using this complicated system. It's working just as well in the maintenance phase.