Opinions on different sneaker brands for cardio workouts??

I've been using Sketchers with memory foam to do my treadmill and bike work and to date they've been very comfortable. As of 2 days ago, I'v been getting large blisters on both my heels from walking on the treadmill (not the bike), particularly since I've worked my way up to an 18º incline. My walking (hour a day) is wearing out the backs of the sneakers and are pretty much causing the massive blisters. Any suggestions on different sneaker brands? Nike seems a big heavy for treadmill work and I never find Reeboks to be comfortable. Anyone prefer any brands over others for treadmill work? I've never tried Adidas, Asics or New Balance. Any suggestions and why? Thanks!

Replies

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    If you've noticed wear on your shoes you should have already replaced them. I don't find brand all that important. I've had great shoes with most brands I've tried. My go to brands are Adidas, Nike, Reeboks, and New Balance. I probably only gravitate to those brands because they're so easy to find on sale.

I run anywhere from 2-25 miles a week and I can only recall one shoe that wasn't so great. It was a puma, but I don't blaim the brand. I noticed after I bought them that they were a bit narrow for my feet.

I've never tried sketchers, they just don't seem to be a cardio focused brand IMO.

Btw, what did you mean by Nike being heavy for treadmill?
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2016
    I get Danskin Now from Wal-Mart, and they seem pretty good. Most of my activity is going up and down stairs (I do house cleaning 3x weekly for a lady who's house is a 3 level split...ugh, I hate it so much! LOL)

I've had 3 pair in the last 4 years, and the only reason I replaced a pair last summer is her foster puppy chewed on them.... yes, while I was wearing them! Mostly the tongue section, but he did gnaw on the toe too. Rottweiler got strong teeth, even when they're little tykes!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I've worn Ryka for years and adore them. Specifically designed for women's feet :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Are you talking about walking specific shoes? Or just in general.
    Nike, for example, has a wide variety of types of shoes. The more support/cushioning you get the heavier the shoe is going to be. Nike has some very lightweight shoes.

Shoes tend to be a very individual thing. It depends on your foot. F or example, some runners love Asics, I hate them. They are a good shoe, but they are made narrow. My feet are not. There is nothign wrong with the brand, it just doesn't suit my foot.

The good thing is a lot of running stores carry walking shoes and have treadmills in store to try them. My suggestion would be to go and try them in a place like that if you can.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    I personally prefer Asics, they're very light and quite comfortable. I have the Gel-Excite 3, GEL-Venture 4, and GEL-Contend 3, they're all great running/cardio shoes. I also have a pair of New Balance MX626 Cross Trainers that are an all around good training shoe. And let's not forget UnderArmour's own line of incredible shoes, I have the UA Micro G Optimum 308 and the UA Micro G Engage 2, both are awesome shoes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I personally prefer Asics, they're very light and quite comfortable. I have the Gel-Excite 3, GEL-Venture 4, and GEL-Contend 3, they're all great running/cardio shoes. I also have a pair of New Balance MX626 Cross Trainers that are an all around good training shoe. And let's not forget UnderArmour's own line of incredible shoes, I have the UA Micro G Optimum 308 and the UA Micro G Engage 2, both are awesome shoes.

I've never owned a pair of Under Armour shoes but the overall reviews I've heard is they are poor quality and fall apart.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    There are a million different shoes, and a million different fits.

Walking shoes are different that Running Shoes, which are different that trail shoes.

If you're going to do mainly walking I would specifically look into walking shoes. The supports are different and the Heel Drop is different between walking and running.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    I've never owned a pair of Under Armour shoes but the overall reviews I've heard is they are poor quality and fall apart.

I can't attest to their durability as of yet, I've only worn them both a handful of times but they seem well made thus far.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    I swear by Asics GT2000. rq9mxpcvxwrv.jpg
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    I love my asics. I previously have had adidas sneakers that lasted me forever and a day. I go for quality but affordable so I got mine on sale lol.
  • lenoresdream
    CincyNeid wrote: »

Walking shoes are different that Running Shoes, which are different that trail shoes.

If you're going to do mainly walking I would specifically look into walking shoes. The supports are different and the Heel Drop is different between walking and running.
    What is heel drop?

I heard there are differences between walking and running shoes so I try to get walking ones unless they don't specify.

But I have my own inserts I put in my shoes bc tendonitis and plantar fascitis so I wonder in the differences will still matter?

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I wear New Balance. I have weird feet tho (narrow feet, high arches, second toe longer than first, short toes in general) so it's hard for me to find shoes that fit properly, but I've always had pretty good luck with them. And they last a good long time, at least IME.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Are you talking about walking specific shoes? Or just in general.
    Nike, for example, has a wide variety of types of shoes. The more support/cushioning you get the heavier the shoe is going to be. Nike has some very lightweight shoes.

Shoes tend to be a very individual thing. It depends on your foot. F or example, some runners love Asics, I hate them. They are a good shoe, but they are made narrow. My feet are not. There is nothign wrong with the brand, it just doesn't suit my foot.

The good thing is a lot of running stores carry walking shoes and have treadmills in store to try them. My suggestion would be to go and try them in a place like that if you can.

This, exactly.

I wear Nike Frees which are just about a minimalist shoe, extremely light and very comfortable for me except on long pavement runs (my heavier backup pair for long runs on sidewalks are Mizunos) but everyone's feet are different which is why different brands make different styles.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Brooks. :)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member

What is heel drop?

I heard there are differences between walking and running shoes so I try to get walking ones unless they don't specify.

But I have my own inserts I put in my shoes bc tendonitis and plantar fascitis so I wonder in the differences will still matter?

Heel drop is the measurement of padding in the heel area that allows your heel to drop. It is separate than the insole so yes it will matter.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    I say look for a neutral shoe and get them fitted to your feet by your local running store.. run/walk on the treadmill at the store and have your gait tested. You can use a running shoe to walk in! I walk and run (outside/treadmill) so getting a duel effort shoe for me for is a must.

The store will usually let you walk/run (even outside) in any pair before buying them. I use saucony brand shoes.
  • lenoresdream

What is heel drop?

Heel drop is the measurement of padding in the heel area that allows your heel to drop. It is separate than the insole so yes it will matter.

Thank you!
  • Eviedawson
    Eviedawson Posts: 9 Member
    I think sneaker brand is the shoe brand in country. Their shoes are very light weighted and best shoes for cardio workout. And it is important to workout with shoes. You don't wear a shoe or not select a correct for you then it may harm your ankle.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    The only thing I wear is New Balance. I love their running shoes and they come in all widths and all sizes. I usually have to order online because I have long, narrow feet. The other ones in my family who have wide and medium feet like them too.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Another Asics user here - mainly because they were what the shop advised after gait analysis etc. when I bought my first running shoes and they were great. Now have 3 pairs.