Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natural remedy anti nausea

VividDawn
VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
edited June 2016 in Debate Club
Apparently I have a microscopic stomach. If i eat "too much" it gets all upset... a slice of French toast, half a cup of cottage cheese, glass of juice ... granola bar, half a cup of pudding, banana, glass of milk... turkey sandwich, chips, and a soda pop ...I can barely finish these types of meals and feel nauseated because it feels like I ate too much. I have tried mint drops but they didn't seem to do much (and don't taste good with some types of food). I also tried Reglan/Metoclopramide pills and they did help me feel hungry sooner, but did nothing for the right away nausea.
I was wondering about ginger, but everytime I look on Google it always says it's for morning sickness in pregnancy.

I'm trying to gain weight, my doctor wants me to eat 500+ calories every two hours. It's hard when it makes me feel so icky. I'm allowed to eat stuff like donuts and cheesecake for calorie density, but I gotta eat SOME good stuff too, and that usually means more in one sitting.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited June 2016
    Ginger is great and not just for morning sickness. Ive never been pregnant but ginger is my go to for an upset tummy.
  • VividDawn
    Thanks!
    Would those GinGin hard candies work, or should I get real ginger and use that? Would I eat it raw, or steep it as a tea? The only problem with tea is I don't want to fill my tummy with no calories. ...my doctor doesn't even want me drinking water. He says anything I swallow has to have substantial calories, like soda or juice (but I prefer whole milk)
  • VividDawn
    I could put honey and cream in the tea, I guess :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited June 2016
    Do you like ginger beer or ginger ale? Calories of a soda and ginger to boot! Ginger candy is good, choc coated is also good. It's a strong flavor so i wouldn't munch it on its own.
  • VividDawn
    I tried a ginger candy once, and didn't like it much. I figured if I got them, I could crush them up and glug it down with Sprite LOL
    I had a ginger beer once... was pretty good, but they're kinda expensive (for my budget, anyway, if I drank them every day)

Anyway, if ginger does work for full tummy issues, maybe my diet won't be so bad after all
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2016
    Vivy913 wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Would those GinGin hard candies work, or should I get real ginger and use that? Would I eat it raw, or steep it as a tea? The only problem with tea is I don't want to fill my tummy with no calories. ...my doctor doesn't even want me drinking water. He says anything I swallow has to have substantial calories, like soda or juice (but I prefer whole milk)
    @Vivy913
    I've done the hard wrapped candies, the ones you chew or suck on and it really helped me and pretty quickly too.
    I don't keep Ginger around but those I do so I always have some in my purse.

Just to add: I use them when I feel nauseous and for me it's not been morning sickness...definitely not morning sickness. :D
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Something like sea bands perhaps ? Woukd your doctor not prescribe an anti nausea pill for a short time just while you add some weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Do you like pecan nuts? Walnuts? any nuts in general? They have a lot of calories in a small volume, even more than cheesecake and donuts per volume, and they're not bad on nutrition either. You could incorporate them into other things too, like to top ice cream. Nut butters nutritious and high calorie too. Oil-roasted pecans are nearly 800 calories per cup!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    What are we debating?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    What are we debating?

:):)
  • VividDawn
    Something like sea bands perhaps ? Woukd your doctor not prescribe an anti nausea pill for a short time just while you add some weight.

That's what the Reglan was for. It didn't really work. It just emptied my stomach so I was more ready to eat again in 2 hours instead of still feeling full (another problem I have!)
  • VividDawn
    What are we debating?

What things will actually work, and what things won't. Mint supposedly helps soothe tummy, but doesn't for me.
    I guess I'm trying ginger next :)

I prefer to do research and use science evidence based things, instead of "woo" and old wives tales LOL
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Marijuana if it's legal where you live.
  • VividDawn
    Nah, everything I read about marijuana says it can cause heart rhythm problems... I have enough of those already LOL (born with severe heart defects)

But if I could, I would. Might help with my back pain, too. I have narcotics, but they make me nauseated also! Last time I took Hydrocodone in December, and threw up a wonderful holiday lamb dinner :/ haven't taken one since then....I just spend a lot of time in bed, instead
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Blackmores Ginger Travel Tablets are awesome is you can get them, I use them for nausea alot. If you use ginger beer make sure it's got actual ginger in it not just flavourings. I've also had the GinGin hard candies and they have worked in a pinch.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    I take nausene tablets or prilosec to stop the nauseousness. those two are my last resort items.
  • MrSimmers
    MrSimmers Posts: 32 Member
    Ginger has proven benefits from multiple clinical trials to assist in preventing nausea. Just take it raw, always works.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    I can't do raw ginger. But dried ginger coated in light sugar helps. I find it in health food stores.

Youd think the sugar makes it bad tummy-wise but not for me. I take small bites too.

Also I found a more natural ginger ale in Whole Foods and it tastes better than Schweppes and that other one that's popular, dang it the name evades me. But yeah definitely taste the real ginger in the Whole Foods ginger ale and it helped so much more.

(I'm gonna remember that soda name in about 4 hours waking up from a dead sleep and being like dangit!! Lol)
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Also I hear peppermint helps upset tummies but the taste/smell of peppermint makes me vomit so it doesn't work for me :(
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I frequently experience nausea (I also have a GI disorder). I take ginger pills.