Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natural remedy anti nausea

Options
2»

Replies

• VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Also I found a more natural ginger ale in Whole Foods and it tastes better than Schweppes and that other one that's popular, dang it the name evades me. But yeah definitely taste the real ginger in the Whole Foods ginger ale and it helped so much more.

(I'm gonna remember that soda name in about 4 hours waking up from a dead sleep and being like dangit!! Lol)

Is it Bundaberg Ginger Beer? That stuff is awesome. ...but expensive (for me)
  • VividDawn
    Options
    Also I hear peppermint helps upset tummies but the taste/smell of peppermint makes me vomit so it doesn't work for me :(

I love the taste of peppermint, But it didn't do anything for me, tummy wise. I tried tea and natural oil candy drops.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The best medicine for nausea that I know of is unfortunately illegal in most states.

What did your doctor suggest?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Anise/licorice is also a good remedy for nausea. It's definitely a love it or hate it kind of taste, though.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/condition-1413-Nausea+and+vomiting.aspx?diseaseid=1413&diseasename=Nausea+and+vomiting&source=0
    Vitamin B6 or P5P which is the active form or ginger like almost everyone else said.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I will add my two cents on ginger. I woke up one night incredibly nauseous, but happened to have some ginger drink in the fridge that I bought from Natural Grocers... made with real ginger. Sipping on that helped 100%. I still buy it every once in a while, mostly because I like the taste. I have used it more than once specifically for nausea, and it always works. I think the brand is "The Ginger People" or something like that... they make the Gin-Gins candy someone else mentioned.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ginger, fennel tablets, peppermint, or if you're lucky, cannabis.
  • meganlc0
    meganlc0 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend ginger. My husband drinks ginger beer for the anti-nausea benefits.

Obviously you see a doctor regularly but I wonder if you and your DR have explored potential health problems that can cause you to have these problems. (I mention this because my husband has Gastroparesis-a condition where part of your stomach is essentially paralyzed, it manifests as becoming very full and nauseous from just a few bites of food) I think that some specific back problems can cause stomach problems as well. Just a thought. Good luck!
  • VividDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My family doctor is who gave me the Reglan, which did a LITTLE bit to help my appetite, but absolutely piddly squat for the nausea - which is my bigger annoyance.
    I have wondered if it's my stomach. I know it's not mental, or an eating disorder... I LOVE food, I WANT to gain weight...I know I look horrible as a walking skeleton, I don't "see" myself as fat at all. I just literally can't eat much more than a small snack at a time.
    I see my cardiologist on the 15th, I'll see if I can get him to look into it more. I did suggest a feeding tube, so that I could get an extra 500+ calories at night with a slow drip... I sleep 10+ hours, there's PLENTY of time to sneak stuff into my stomach slowly without it getting upset, I would think. Insurance won't pay for the tube, because I can chew and swallow... well fine, but what about what happens AFTER I do that?? My cardiologist just said to try to eat more often... I have set alarms for every 2 hours, but it's so inconvenient. I was at a volunteer thing when one alarm went off, and couldn't get away for another 1.5 hours to get food. Then I was napping when another alarm went off, too groggy to get up and fix something. Luckily I still managed to get in 2,000 calories today (my minimum goal, though once I get used to meeting that, I'll up it to 2,500 and even 3,000 after that, if I can train my stomach for bigger meals!)

I do have sever scoliosis, and even qualify for the corrective surgery, BUT my heart is too weak to handle such a trauma of a dramatic change in body and recovery. The way my spine curves has my ribs all wacky... my left side is expanded and humps out, my right side is "squished" and digs into me...right where my stomach is. I think that may be part of the problem, at least. Which is kind of also why I want a tube, because in 10 hours I'm sure I could get in a steady stream of nutrients and not have it all crowded in at once into a space being compromised by other things invading the area.
    I wanted a G tube, since they seem easy to maintain once you get over the initial installation. But I'm kind of getting desperate enough I would consider NG and just doing it myself every other day, or something (not every day, that results in too much irritation to your nose and throat that I would rather avoid) and use gravity instead of an electronic pump.

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Can you handle ice cream and shakes.....get the most calorie dense one yoh like and eat a spoon at a time? make the shakes with full fat milk and cream and sip? In the uk we have ensure a fortifying mix they give to pack in extra calories to the ill.
  • VividDawn
    Options
    Can you handle ice cream and shakes.....get the most calorie dense one yoh like and eat a spoon at a time? make the shakes with full fat milk and cream and sip? In the uk we have ensure a fortifying mix they give to pack in extra calories to the ill.

Yeah, I have Boost High Calorie (530 per 8oz). Insurance pays for it, and even with 2 a day I'm still barely getting 2000 calories with trying to eat smaller stuff every couple hours.
  • VividDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    13576731_10205136788817793_8932467714720400197_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_eui=6qjWdJI6jwPWGb1okYjE8CDikGc

Yesterday was the first time I went over 2000. Usually I get 1600-1800.
    I had 3/4 of my Boost & milk mix, but had to stop because of the tummy upset. The milk/Carnation and pudding I BARELY finished. Dinner was technically 2 meals...I ate a taco and some soda, took a break for an hour, then had half a burrito supreme and had to quit again. This "nibbling" nonsense is annoying!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    candied ginger, they also sell it in tablet form
  • ellie_RN
    ellie_RN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to be on low dose chemo and dealt with nausea A LOT. here is what I found that worked for me
    -salt, like pretzels or kettle chips, eased it a lot
    - Sierra Mist
    -taking a nap!
    -phenergan, downside for you is that'll knock you out
    -zofran ODT (disintegrating tablets not the oral kind)
    -positive thinking!!
    -eating what I was craving in that moment but stopping before I felt sick
    -SeaBand (name?) bracelets.

Nausea is no fun and I hope you find relief from it soon.
  • ellie_RN
    ellie_RN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ps have you been tested for gastroparesis? Apologies if it was mentioned up thread at all.
  • VividDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Zofran gives me feverish hot flashes, phenagren makes me a vegetable (I'm awake, but NO coordination... the nurses have to practically carry me to the bathroom, I can barely even walk!)
    I do eat what I'm in the mood for, but can still only eat small amounts about every other hour.
    I don't think I have gastroparesis...my stomach empties just fine, it just doesn't tolerate much more than 2 cups of volume at a time.

My cardiologist got me a referral to GI to see what we can figure out. I think it's because my scoliosis is making my ribs squishing my stomach, because if I lay flat, I seem to have more room than sitting up...so I suggested getting a feeding tube and doing night feedings of 1000 calories, and I can still do my 1600ish solids during the day, until I get back up to 85 lbs again. Then I can go back to just maintaining, I hope! We're still not sure why I lost the 20 lbs these last couple years anyway, as I have not changed any eating or activity habits/routines.
    So I'm going to GI clinic on Tuesday :)
  • sbergen3088
    sbergen3088 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have found that ginger tea really helps when I am feeling nauseous or a little queasy. Be aware though that it definitely is an acquired taste....after drinking it a few times I actually now like it, but initially it was tough to drink.