Post baby flab (pics)

I had a baby 5 months ago and have lost all my baby weight and more through calorie control.
Ive been left with this hideous loose skin on my lower stomach which means that i need to wear clothes with waistbands 2 sizes to big so my spare skin doesnt hang over.

What can I do about it? Its really bothering me :(

otk2qz5vj4qg.jpeg
fokxqssw9e17.jpeg

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    What is your height and weight currently?
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Lose more weight, lift weights and TIME. That or surgery are really your only options.
  • beckymayt
    beckymayt Posts: 8 Member
    I weigh 138lb and am 5ft4 x
  • VeryKatie
    beckymayt wrote: »
    I weigh 138lb and am 5ft4 x

Ok, then you are at a good weight based on BMI. If you wanted to go a bit more down to help with the tummy, you could, but it might not take much, maybe only 5 - 10 pounds.. Other than that, it's mostly just waiting for your skin to unstretch. That might take a year... could take 3... depending on your age, it might stay. So maybe a dollop of learning to appreciate it as a reminder of what you created is a good idea too :)

Working out, including some cardio and strength training (most here usually recommend a heavy progressive weight lifting program like Strong Lifts) can help build muscle under skin or to help regain shape. Pregnancy does things to a woman's abs like nothing else can. So working on those might help pull them back in place. Weight lifting helps in that regard, even if abs are not directly worked.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    It's only been 5 months. Give it more time. Just keep doing what you're doing and start lifting if you aren't already. Congrats on the new baby!
  • beckymayt
    So im a bit hopeless, what type of weight lifting? X
  • VeryKatie
    So im a bit hopeless, what type of weight lifting? X

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ That's the one I mentioned. Just follow the instructions :)

Or you could try Strong Curves or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Try Googling them and see if any catch your eye.

If weights aren't your thing, try looking into Body By You You Are Your Own Gym which is all calisthenics. You may need to buy the book (Amazon :))

No need to make up a program, it's easiest to follow one that is already made, especially when you start.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    After I had both my kids, once I lost weight the skin was loose and a bit squishy. It took nearly a year before things were mostly firm again (although I have since gained weight again!!). You can't lose weight from single parts of your body, but you can firm up using weights or resistance training.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    My skin bounced with the first baby, bounced with the second baby, bounced with the third baby, but did not completely bounce with the fourth.

It will get better, bekymayt, unless you have really delicate skin that does not have elasticity. In that case start saving for tummy tuck after the last baby, or just learn to live with it. It's not a sign of being out of shape, it's a skin type thing.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Do you have diastasis recti?
  • l_juliett
    l_juliett Posts: 7 Member

that be my first question too. if so, be careful with any weight training!
  • beckymayt

Im not sure what that is? X
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

Im not sure what that is? X

abdominal separation

diastasis-recti.jpg
  • nitesky83
    nitesky83 Posts: 49 Member
    It can take a YEAR for your body to "bounce" back.5 months is nothing
  • beckymayt
    Hmm so if its abdominal seperation what can I do? X
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Google diastis Recti workouts in YouTube. I did Leslie sansone walking videos and after two months it made a difference for me. Baby is ten months. Your local physiotherapist can help
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    I had diastasis recti with my little guy. This video is what I used to help close my gap.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXm5UcVXuEU
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If you are only 5 months post partum you need to give it longer ...

Progressive resistance while you do

And congratulations
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    9 months up, 9 months down.

Give it time. Keep on the calorie control. Start a weight lifting program.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Here is a good list of workouts. But 5 months is definitely not a long enough time to rebound.