do you take any supplements?

Options
I've been doing MFP since April and am down 24 lbs. I found out a month or so ago that my triglycerides were a little high - i don't eat any seafood so i started taking a fish oil, eating almonds that kind of thing. i also take a B vitamin and a multivitamin.
I'm eating 1200 cals, or thats what i'm aiming for anyway. Some days i'm over, some days i'm under. Sometimes i work out, other times not. Do you take any vitamins/supplements?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I take BCAA's pre workout, and creatine, a multivitamin, and vitamin d post workout/when I eat.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Hubby's doc told him to cut way back on fruit to control his triglycerides. There's more and more research showing a link between fructose consumption and high triglycerides.
  • janicemushalupo
    janicemushalupo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I take a complete line of Herbalife supplements.
  • lisautley02
    lisautley02 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I take a multi-vitamin, Flax seed oil & Shredz (Maximum Strength Fat Burner). In the morning and another Shredz capsule before working out. I am on Week 6 and seeing great results with my muscles leaning up and more definition in my body :)
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    - Animal Pak
    - Animal Pump
    - Animal Stack
    - Grean Bean Extract
    - Optimum Opti-men multivitamin
    - Milk Thistle
    - Fish Oil
    - Spectrum Flax Oil w/ Omega-3
    - L-Carnitine
    - L-Arginine
    - Dandelion Root Caps
    - Melatonin

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil and use whey protein.

OP...do you do any vigorous exercise on a regular basis? If not, you may want to consider reducing your carb intake to lower the triglycerides...basically means you are consuming more carbs than your body can burn up. This will also improve as you lose weight since you'll be at an overall calorie deficit.

My triglycerides were 463 back in Oct 2012...they're around 90 now. I primarily credit the loss of around 40 Lbs and I train hard.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    - Fish Oil
    - Women's Multivitamin
    - L-Carnitine
    - L-Arginine
    - CLA
    - AMINO1
    - NOS
  • LizAnn925
    LizAnn925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First, don't let yourself go under 1200 calories. 1200 calories is the bare minimum that your body can function off of, and anything less than that might put your body into starvation mode and shut down your metabolism.

I don't believe in too many supplements, but I do take a few. I use a pea protein isolate protein after I work out, but I add a teaspoon of BCAA powder to my shake. I do this because I do not consume meat, so I add the extra BCAAs to get some more beneficial protein in my system, especially because I lift weights a lot. BCAAs can benefit you a lot if you lift weights a lot or exercise a lot.

I also take fish oil every day so I would recommend this. It is good for your heart, skin, hair, eyes, and cholesterol levels. Finally, I take a daily multi-vitamin. Make sure you buy a high quality fish oil and multivitamin. Average quality fish oil contains a lot of fillers and you aren't getting pure fish oil. I use Barleans Fish Oil and I love it. Average quality multivitamins aren't much better. They often don't get digested at all. Visit a health food store or a place like GNC to get a high quality vitamin supplement.

One thing you really want to try to avoid is red meat. Red meat (hamburgers, pepperoni, lamb chops, etc.) really contribute a lot to high triglyceride levels, so try to cut your intake in half. Also avoid fried foods. Nothing about fried foods are a good thing!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You only need supplements if you can't get a healthy level of whatever it is that you are supplementing from a balanced and healthy diet. Blood tests can measure many things like vitamin A, D E etc. Supplements are big business and I recommend only taking things that you need.

That said, I take some supplements.
    Vitamin D because I work inside.
    For my joints I take glucosamine, chondroitin and fish oil.

The same is true for drugs. There are lots of drugs you can probably avoid with a healthy diet and exercise.
  • Timimbo
    Timimbo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    multi
    whey
    vit d
    fish
    preworkout
    creatine

the rest seem to be a pretty big waste of money.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I take a multi-vitamin, Flax seed oil & Shredz (Maximum Strength Fat Burner). In the morning and another Shredz capsule before working out. I am on Week 6 and seeing great results with my muscles leaning up and more definition in my body :)

It is not the fat burner, it is the working out and losing body fat, which is revealing your muscle.

OP:
    To answer your question, I take a multivitamin everyday.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you train hard and especially if you lift heavy you should take something to protect your joints.

I take:

Garlic pills (For immune system)

100% Gold Standard Whey Protein Vanilla (To help meet my protein goals)

NOW Foods - Glucosamine & MSM, 2 capsules (For joints)

Arcticpure Omega-3 Fish Oil, (For joints and other things)

Optimum Nutrition - L-Glutamine , 2 capsule (For muscle recovery...)

Womens One A Day - Active Metabolism: Multi Vitamin/Mineral Supplement, 1 tablet

I also try to eat a lot of protein, fruits and veggies. Works great for me :-)
  • Shugababe53
    Shugababe53 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am terrible about taking supplements. I have been looking to add a protein powder to my smoothies but I have not found any are wheat free and dairy free. I also do not want to waste money on them either because they are so expensive. Pea Isolate Protein? Could you tell me what brand it is that you use, same goes for the BCAA. I am not a strict vegetarian but for the most part i would say i only eat meat maybe 3x a week and thats a max. I have started to lift more and was looking for some advice. Thanks again!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Multi,vitamin C and fish oil daily.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Creatine
    BCAA (Only if I workout fasted that day)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I am terrible about taking supplements. I have been looking to add a protein powder to my smoothies but I have not found any are wheat free and dairy free. I also do not want to waste money on them either because they are so expensive. Pea Isolate Protein? Could you tell me what brand it is that you use, same goes for the BCAA. I am not a strict vegetarian but for the most part i would say i only eat meat maybe 3x a week and thats a max. I have started to lift more and was looking for some advice. Thanks again!

Don't waste your money on Pea Protein, it has a Biological value of 65 meaning only 65% of the protein is absorbed by your body as opposed to 100% with whey protein. You don't need BCAAs unless you workout fasted.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I try to eat all my macros and use as little sups as possible
  • Lifewelllived
    Options
    I think investing in a really good multi-vitamin is good. I take a multivitamin, and a biotin supplement and some potassium and omega 3 oil. Any suggestions on vitamins for overall health as well as weight loss and muscle retention? I'd like to try some!
  • kimmysun7
    kimmysun7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, calcium, vitamin D, Biotin, and Zinc. I take them just in case I am deficient on a certain day, so that I can get the recommended intake.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin and a vegetarian omega 3 supplement daily, and protein powder and creatine post workouts. I also take a melatonin supplement since I have a slight deficiency, which makes it hard for me to get good sleep without the supplement.