Anyone lose weight WITHOUT taking up running?

Options
124»

Replies

• eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started on 1/17/2013. I have not and do not exercise at all.

diet = weight loss

exercise = fitness
  • pkredford
    pkredford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard that exercise should be considered for stress relief, better sleep and weight maintenance and should not be thought of as a way to loose weight. Food contributes 80% to your weight loss. My weight loss success so far has come from increased protein and veggies. I do exercise 5 days as week and have done so for about 7 yrs now. Weight loss has only come to me recently with better tracking.
  • dedicationandcommitment
    Options
    I only run because I'm too poor for afford a gym membership!!!
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I haven't run single step and I'm losing plenty of weight. I do walk though. When I first started, I could only walk for about 5 minutes. Now I have a lot more energy and my fitness is much better, but I will not be running due to a bad knee.
  • Bodhizephyr
    Options
    Dancing and Netball.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    If you see me running, you better run too, because something bad is chasing me.

I do martial arts (and lately bike, but that's because my car is broken).

First of all. Ditto.
    Second. Push it on ova. I looks under your hood =)
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i lost 40-60lbs BEFORE i started walking! then i decided to learn to walk & jog. im not a runner. i can barely jog for a minute.. but yes its possible
  • courtneybray773
    Options
    Yes! I did Insanity! Plyometric circuits are awesome :) and burn more calories and use more carbs than running in a shorter amount of time. I highly recommend this program and workout. I lost 45 lbs in the 2 months of doing that work out 5 days a week.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    o/ I finished C25k and realized I didn't actually like running! :laugh: Now I mostly lift weights with a 10 minute cardio warmup before (stairclimber, rower or arctrainer). I swim on the weekends as well.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I don't run, never have, never will. For most of the year plus I've been on this journey, I haven't even worked out, and when I do , it's a half hour on the exercise bike or walking on the treadmill.

So yep, you can lose weight w/o running
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I haven't run at all. Don't want to take the chance of screwing up my knees. Walking suits me just fine and I jog in the pool.
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds by walking, swimming, & ext.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 45 lbs without running, just doing more exercise, as I am normally a couch potato. But realised I had to set myself a challenge to get down off the plateau I was on before Christmas and entered some distance walks, 5k Race for Life, and am doing the Great South Run at the end of October, Knowing that is now just over 3 months away does make me get out to do some training walk/runs, and I can feel the benefit.
    I will never be a runner, but entering these events does give me a goal to work towards!
  • jazmin1028
    Options
    you have a few options!

1. When I first decided to become intentionally active, I used the good old treadmill. Although, I HATE running, so I decided to take a different approach that still burns a very large amount of calories. What I did was speed walking on a 12% or higher incline, you can burn 1,200 calories at 5.6mph 12% incline in 60minutes.

For me, this was a great start, but after a while it became easy and I knew it was time to bump it up!

2. I began a 2hr cardio mix up, this includes a large mash up of High Knees, Jumping Jacks, Burpees, Lunges, Squats, Wall Sits, Push-ups, Crunches, Weight-arm exercises, and a couple of circuits targeted towards the waist and legs. This burns A TON of calories!

But again, after a while this wouldnt cut it, it was getting easy, and I felt I was slacking off. So I began my most intense, effective, challenging experience yet!

3. Bikram Yoga, it is amazing. A standard 90minute class can burn over 1000 calories! Though the benefits of Bikram go far beyond the extreme weight-loss aid and assistance in building strong lean muscle, it improves sleep, posture, complexion, stamina, and won't leave you sore! Bikram is also complimented by a very healthy life-style, one of a yogi, and it provides motivation to stay on track with not just a proper diet, but lifestyle. Combine this with the cardio mix up and you're on the road to success!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I went out for a run ONCE in the past year and absolutely hated it! I felt b!tchy and exceptionally hangry afterwards, which is pretty much the opposite of how I feel after a tough workout that does not involve jogging.

I've been training with kettlebells and lifting weights, and I walk a lot....both for transportation and for exercise on the days I'm not planning to go anywhere. I do hill sprints occasionally in place of the kettlebells--maybe once every other week or something. Sometimes I ride my bike around town for fun.

Your diet is really the way to control your weight loss--exercise is for shaping your body and getting physically fit. Dial in your nutrition and take up whatever sort of exercise you truly enjoy doing--sustainability is super important.

Nobody needs to run (or do any exercise whatsoever) to lose weight.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I detest running. I do it on a netball court or in minor gym intervals but I refuse to go an run about the streets.

I think i'm doing okay....
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Me. No running involved for the time being. For cardio I do uphill walking, stationary bike and swimming.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hate running. I'm doing cardio and strength training at the gym, plus I work with kettlebells at home.