Kettlebells

Options
pefal1
pefal1 Posts: 43 Member
Anyone doing kettlebell workouts as their main workout routine and having good/fast results?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't but you can get results with kettlebells. It's resistance =)

I wouldn't expect FAST results with anything though.
  • pefal1
    Options
    Yes true. I am kinda obsessed with the kettlebell workouts. Trying to gain some
  • pefal1
    Options
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes I am, alongside running. Have got really good results from doing kettlebells so far!
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am interested in kettlebells but they're so heavy. Do they make smaller ones, like 3 or 5 lbs. My arm strength is really weak.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
  • pefal1
    Options
    Yes I am, alongside running. Have got really good results from doing kettlebells so far!

how many days per week are you running and how many days are you using your kettlebell?
    What weight are you using?
  • pefal1
    Options
    Stevo_Ra wrote: »
    I coach kettle bell classes and couldn't recommend them highly enough. Compound dynamic lifts that are fairly easy to master. Do take time to nail the technique though. Great fat burning workout!!!

Yes! I definitely make sure to look up proper form! I love the workouts I just don't feel quite as dead after I do a 30 min workout as I do from previous workout routines. So I was worried it wasn't enough. (Along with running twice per week)
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    They are my primary tool. Turkish get-ups, swings, squats, pressing and/or snatches are my fundamental base.
  • Himurahotaru
    Himurahotaru Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I really want to do kettle bells more. Is there a good place that has a good routine for them?
  • pefal1
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just use YouTube! There are a lot of different videos. As far as whether the people are actually trained in that sort of thing idk. I just look up the names of the move they're using and read up on the proper form and then follow the routine on the video. Most of them are 20-30 min long.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    If you are looking for kettlebell instructors StrongFirst or RKC. If you are looking for a DVD for at home Andrea DuCane's material might be a good choice for a lady (no it won't be easy).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I am interested in kettlebells but they're so heavy. Do they make smaller ones, like 3 or 5 lbs. My arm strength is really weak.

I've seen 5 lbs. or just use a small dumbbell.
  • pefal1
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    If you are looking for kettlebell instructors StrongFirst or RKC. If you are looking for a DVD for at home Andrea DuCane's material might be a good choice for a lady (no it won't be easy).

Ever used any videos on YouTube? Suggestions??
  • dlm7507
    edited July 2016
    Options
    deleted, the next reply is better.
  • dlm7507
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You asked for video but I would be remiss if I didn't point you to this which does have links to videos in it; gold.
  • gordonkeneshia
    gordonkeneshia Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Yes they are at Walmart
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    If you're in the US, keep an eye on Groupon. I got a set of 5, 10, and 15 pound bells for $40 plus shipping. They are bulkier than steel bells but great to start out with and I like the larger than average handle.

I like Jillian Michaels Shred It with weights. She's annoying and could do a better job describing proper form; I like her workouts because they don't take long and I find them effective.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    Here's a article on selecting kettlebell starter weight from Kettlebells USA. Arm strength matters more with grinds.

Kettlebell swings are a primary kettlebell exercise which properly uses the posterior chain muscle group and not the arms (provided that you don't do the so called American swing). This is why they say you'll probably want two sizes. The very light one to get your arms stronger and one a bit larger for things like swings that call upon your more powerful muscles.

Notice that his arms just float and the work is all done with the hips (this is a kettlebell swing). Grip strength comes into play so don't do your swings where if you loose your grip it flies through the center of your TV ;0)