Kettlebells

Options

Replies

• pefal1
    pefal1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @almostanangel21 I have done a lot of research on kettlebells and calories burned and almost every site I have seen says 20 calories per minute. I think The American exercise association even studied it and found that it burns 20 calories per minute. But what I am wondering is, what moves? Is it majority of kettlebell moves? Does the weight you use matter? I just can't seem to believe it's that many calories burned! If so that's amazing!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on youtube do lots of kettlebell workouts for free. From beginner to experienced, they have something for everyone
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You probably burn more calories doing kettlebell swings than any other exercise you do, including aerobics. Pressing not so much. Your heart and breath rates for a given exercise are a good guide.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @pefal1 Calories burned during exercise - often inaccurate, take it with a grain of salt.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I snagged a 35lb and a 50lb kettlebell fairly cheaply on Amazon, I think I paid about $1/lb for each of them (I watched both and waited for sales).

If you like the idea of doing kettlebell exercises daily, look at the book "Simple & Sinister" (https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline/dp/0989892409/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467831579&sr=8-1&keywords=simple+and+sinister). It's a kettlebell program from Strongfirst that consists of just swings and turkish get-ups, with specific weight/time goals for the "Simple" and "Sinister" challenges.

I've been doing it since March, I am definitely getting stronger and have set a goal for myself of completing the "Simple" standard by September. We'll see...I am still working on transitioning to one-handed swings with the 50lb bell, and I am slowly creeping up to the 35lb/16kg weight goal for the TGUs, but I think that's going to be the bigger hurdle for me to meet Simple.

It's also a flexible enough program that you can add complementary workouts. I do a series of core workouts plus some bodyweight workouts alongside the kettlebell stuff and I feel like it helps my overall improvement.
  • pefal1
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @pefal1 Calories burned during exercise - often inaccurate, take it with a grain of salt.

True!
  • pefal1
    Options
    2essie wrote: »
    Fitness Blender on youtube do lots of kettlebell workouts for free. From beginner to experienced, they have something for everyone
    Thanks! I will check them out today!
  • pefal1
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    You probably burn more calories doing kettlebell swings than any other exercise you do, including aerobics. Pressing not so much. Your heart and breath rates for a given exercise are a good guide.
    I guess my main concern is; do the workouts burn fat like jogging or a HIIT workout would? If you do a routine of about 30 min. I want to make sure I am also burning fat.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    I currently do these ladders:
    2 goblet squats then 10 swings
    3 goblet squats then 15 swings
    4 goblet squats then 20 swings
    start over at 2 + 10 and repeat the ladder.
    I end it in 10 minutes. If you did them on the minute in 30 minutes you'd do 90 goblet squats and 450 swings. That's a lot of calories burned. I'm too old for that ;0)

The Simple and Sinister mentioned above is 10 min of 10 swings on the minute and 10 Turkish get-up in 10 minutes. 20 minutes total. + some Goblet squats and halos for your warm up.

Is that what your kettlebel workouts look like?
  • dlm7507
    Options
    Oooooooooo, I just looked on youtube for Fitness Blender kettlebell workout. I stopped looking when I saw her kettlebell swings. Find an actual kettlebell instructor. Please watch this to see why I say that. She is squatting and raising the bell with her shoulders. That is not a kettlebell swing. I doubt that you're getting the caloric burn off that you hope for doing that. Please, learn your proper technique from real kettlebell people; StrongFirst or RKC/HKC. The problem with YouTube is that they are often worth what you pay for them.

Do you see how radically different this kettlebel swing is from the one in Fitness Blender?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    "Fast"....lose that word. FitnessBlender.com. anything on you tube. Just seek and you will find.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    If you have money, just buy the adjustable ones. You will find yourself with a dozen kettlebells if you keep buying more. The adjustable ones are great, there are only two and they have different weight plates and a handy holder.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Dicks Sporting Goods has a set with 5, 8, & 10lb kettle bells for $50.

That's too much money for Baby bells.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @ValGogo They aren't balanced right anyway. Please see my other post.
  • pefal1
    Options
    ValGogo wrote: »
    "Fast"....lose that word. FitnessBlender.com. anything on you tube. Just seek and you will find.

I guess I use the word fast because I tend to gain muscle pretty quick. Don't know if it's because I have always done some kind of workout/sport most of my life. But in the last 5 years have gone from 1 year of working out to months with slacking then I'll start it back up and stop again when life gets in the way trying to make it more of a lifestyle now rather than a hobby. I guess muscle that once was a lot more defined and stronger can be built back up fairly quick?
  • pefal1
    Options
    @dlm7507 thanks for the video! What was he doing wrong in the second video bending his knees to much? In have been doing bodyfit by Amy on YouTube. I just follow her so I can't remember the names of the moves. If you get a chance you should look at the quality of those videos. I have done her HIIT kettlebell workout a few times.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    Swing has maximum hip flexation and minimum knee bend. A squat has maximum hip and knee bend. The second one "this kettlebell swing" was correct.

I just looked at this bodyfit by Amy swing instruction and it looks like she knows what she's doing and won't get you hurt. Do her stuff. Please do yourself a favor and delete your bookmark to Fitness Blender kettlebell workouts.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    pefal1 wrote: »
    @almostanangel21 I have done a lot of research on kettlebells and calories burned and almost every site I have seen says 20 calories per minute. I think The American exercise association even studied it and found that it burns 20 calories per minute. But what I am wondering is, what moves? Is it majority of kettlebell moves? Does the weight you use matter? I just can't seem to believe it's that many calories burned! If so that's amazing!

Yeah, I saw either "20 calories per minute" or "up to 20 calories per minute," but I found a couple of sites that said 13 per minute unless you're doing a super intense workout. That's what I used to log it.

@dim7507 Thanks for the recommendations. The DVD that came with the kettlebells set off the virus software on my laptop, so I went searching Youtube for a beginner workout.

Speaking of.... my husband noticed what I was doing, thought it seemed fun, and actually got curious enough to try it! He made it through about 20 minutes before collapsing into the chair. Anything that gets him up and moving is a good thing in my book.
  • dlm7507
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The reason I focus so much on the swing is that it is the foundation of kettlebell exercise. If someone's swing is wrong, so will everything else be wrong. And of course, the swing is a big fat burner which is what most people here want, including me.

Just noticed the does the weight matter thing. Yes, in as much as you want to be using a suitably challenging weight. Most women err on the side of too light a bell. You are stronger than you think. Most men err on the side of too heavy a bell to start. To heavy and form suffers. That's a safety issue.
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Tons of great routines on Pinterest and YouTube can help with form.