Vegetarian Meals Part 2 (Photo Heavy)

Options

Replies

• jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you don't already do food photography for a living, you NEED TO! These photos are very well done - makes me want to get in the kitchen and cook (and I don't get that urge very often!)
    Thanks so much......and definitely keep shootin!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    OMG I feel like I want ALL of these recipes!! Do you have a blog or site or something going on pintrest. Do you think you could post a couple every week? Also what kind of camera do you have? I can not believe how beautiful the photography is. Sending a friend request now :)

Sorry I forgot to answer this question! I would say about half of these photos were taken with my Canon EOS 300D and the other half were taken with my phone. I used an iPhone for some, but then my screen broke. Now I'm using an android. The quality of the pics taken with my Canon is usually noticeably better, but camera phones have gotten really good! The lens I use most often is probably my Canon 50mm F1.8.

I also have a hand made faux tabletop that I built. One side with a light stain and the the other side is painted blue and sanded down a bit. I'm actually on the look out for some old lumber so I can make a top with a rugged, old finish.

First photos I took to practice with the surface:

tabletest3.jpg
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Deliciously bumped!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    tabletest3.jpg
    Excuse me while I drool all over my computer.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Okay, for the Fettuccini with White Wine Roasted Mushroom recipe, was there a specific brand of white wine that works best for this dish, and did you use dry white wine or sweet, can you use white wine vinegar, or not the same thing? Also, where can I buy truffle oil, would that be at the Asian grocer as well, or can I find that in the supermarket? Is there some other kind of oil that can substitute for it? Thanks.
  • pocketmole
    Options
    The white wine I used was just some wine we had been drinking - and it was a dry wine, not very sweet. White wine vinegar would be totally different. :)

As for the truffle oil, you could probably pick it up at any nicer grocery store that carries some gourmet products. It can be pretty expensive but a tiny bit goes a long way. The flavor is quite strong. Delicious though :)
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump Bumpetty Bump

Amazing! :flowerforyou:
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP - I'm a vegetarian, I cook everything from scratch (unless I'm going out for proper fun dinner) so I'm bumping your thread to inspire me next time I can't think what to cook.
    The photos are beautiful, you're clearly very skilled.
  • pocketmole
    Options
    Just a quick photo bump to share what I made for breakfast this morning. Originally I was going to do strawberry shortcake, but then I got a craving for something spicy and peachy. Ended up making these peach cobbler pancakes with (slightly overwhipped because my warm kitchen wasn't cooperating) vanilla bean whipped cream. The peach topping is vegan and the pancakes can easily be made vegan by using a vegan margarine in place of the butter.

Not exactly a healthy breakfast, but this is a Sunday morning type of thing :) I did make the pancakes with whole wheat flour and steel cut oats though. With the buttery peach topping and whipped cream it's still under 450 calories. My boyfriend made it a point to tell me several times how good these were. They reminded me of eating warm peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream slowly melting into it. I think I'll make them again!

cobblerpancakes1_sm.jpg

How I made them:

Heat two tablespoons of unsalted butter and two tablespoons of brown sugar in a skillet and whisk until smooth. Add about 1 cup of peach chunks (I thawed and chopped frozen peaches), 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, a dash of ground ginger, and about 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground nutmeg. Cook for several minutes until the peaches are soft, but still retain their shape. Stir in a tablespoon of spiced rum and remove from heat.

Cook 1/4 cup of steel cut oats according to package instructions. When finished stir into the peach mixture with 2 tablespoons of flax meal and 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of unsweetened flax milk (or whatever milk you want).

In a large bowl whisk together 3/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold together until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick, not like your normal pancake batter that pours out.

Put heaping 1/4 cup spoonfuls onto a hot skillet and gently (and fairly quickly) smooth the batter into a rounded shape. Cook one side until the edges begin to look dry, then flip and cook a few more minutes on the other side.

While the pancakes are cooking you can prepare the whipped cream if you want it homemade. I whipped together 1 cup of whipping cream with 2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and scrapings from half a vanilla bean.

For the peach topping I heated up about 1/4 cup of peach pecan butter (could use peach jam or something similar, but you'll need to spice it yourself) with 1 teaspoon maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine.
  • LyssaMarie13
    Options
    These all look sooo yummy!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Wow and thank you !
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think you just turned me back into a vegetarian. But hey what about the marinated carrot hot dog. ever heard of that one?
  • mmg0327
    mmg0327 Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    :love: :flowerforyou:

can i come over?
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This post made me hungry. Holy smokes. Beautiful pictures!
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! I would be vegetarian if you were cooking for me!! How do I get these???
  • pocketmole
    Options
    I think you just turned me back into a vegetarian. But hey what about the marinated carrot hot dog. ever heard of that one?

I saw someone mention something about that recently and wasn't sure if it was a real thing or just someone trolling, haha. Sounds interesting either way!

Tonight for dinner I made veggie chicken skewers with a honey beer glaze. Ate them with roasted veggies (which I didn't bother to take pictures of even though they were adorable baby carrots with the green tops on and everything - aww.. cute food.)

veggieskewers_sm.jpg
  • Aliviuum
    Aliviuum Posts: 67
    Options
    I have yet to master the art of tofu :frown:
  • pocketmole
    Options
    the skewers are actually made with quorn roast - but i love me some tofu satay. maybe i'll make that soon too :]
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian, but I would eat anyone of those wonderful meals you showed without a moment's hesitation! And those pics are some serious eye candy!!! Great posts!