Why is everybody so "gaga" over kale?

Options

Replies

• bamapeggy
    bamapeggy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sauteed' with a little olive oil and salt and it is delicious.
  • JuliaGirzadas
    JuliaGirzadas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went grocery shopping and bought about two bundles of kale. I honestly didn't think that I would enjoy it. So I put it into the juicer with a bunch of different things, and it was delish! You should juice it with some carrots and ginger. I think anyone would like it!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I remember when Chipotle spice was in. And then Acai berries. And then Avocado was the new big thing. Kale might just be one of those 'health food' trends.

Ding Ding Ding

Avocado is awesome, excellent source of fiber and healthy fats. Not sure about Acai berries but blueberries are a powerhouse too, full of antioxidants.

These aren't "health food trends" - these are whole foods that people have forgotten about in the processed-pre-packaged-food-revolution which are now being rediscovered. The fact is, you are better off eating loads of kale and blueberries and Avocado than taking iron, calcium and multivitamin tablets to supplement a poor diet. Imagine that! Getting all your nutritional needs from food alone! Revolutionary isn't it?

Also known as fruits and vegetables. Not random flavor of the month superfoods.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm not gaga over it, but I eat a lot of kale. I eat it raw in salads. Not into cooking or drinking lettuce.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    8160452084_f8cf546e17.jpg
  • ohnancy
    ohnancy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's just another green! I keep a variety of frozen greens (collards, turnip greens, kale, spinach, whatever) because I'm too lazy to clean and prep fresh. The main thing with cooking fresh greens is to gauge the texture. Tougher greens require a longer cooking time. Otherwise, sautee some sliced garlic in olive oil until lightly browned and throw in some red pepper flakes (to taste). Add the prepped or frozen greens, salt, and a little water or broth. Balance the bitterness with acid at the end, whatever you have on hand. Lemon juice and cider vinegar are the basics, but flavored vinegars work great too.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I like kale, but I have to admit my favorite green is swiss chard! Swiss chard is less common and definitely more expensive though, so kale is a good stand-in.

I second the motion that kale chips are amazing. They do have a 'green' taste, but it's subtle and they really develop a great crunch.

Swiss chard is easy to grow for yourself. Just a suggestion.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My bunny seems to like it, she gets a huge kale salad every morning.

I've tried it on a salad myself and its pretty good. I wouldnt want it cooked because it is in the collard family and I dont care for collards or turnip greens.

Oh and just a tip: dont eat the stems, they are what taste bad. My bunny wont even eat the stems and when you buy bagged kale the stems are all chopped up inside, it also makes it go bad faster becasue the stems are nasty.

Buy it fresh, keep out the moisture and its good for almost 2 weeks, bagged kale stinks within 2 days.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    Braised Kale is absoloutely delicious. I juice some tomatoes, a garlic clove, half a cooking onion and celery, and then braise it in that. Cut the stems out, they're the bitter part and don't have a very good texture either.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Actually I probably wouldn't buy it at the store or farmer's market, but it's in my csf box a lot so I try to find different ways to use it. The last one was last weekend when I used it in a fritata with kale, leeks, onions, eggs and cheese. Tasted pretty good that way. Even my husband liked it cause he ate 3/4 and he usually passes on the kale.
  • Ralph113
    Ralph113 Posts: 25
    Options
    I freeze it and chop it up in my smoothie, you can't even taste it. Nice way to sneak some spinach and kale into my breakfast.
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    sounds like a vegie you either really love or really hate.
  • I don't know. I was eating kale BEFORE it was cool. I'm not sure how all the hype began.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I was eating kale BEFORE it was cool. I'm not sure how all the hype began.
    I don't either, but I'm like you. I've liked boiled kale for a long time. I don't need the hype to know how good for me it is. I knew that before this trend started.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    This is the best I can come up with:

Reference: Thrive Staple Foods
    http://thriveforward.com/lesson/clean-eating-101-lesson-2/#spMaterial_956

Also love Kale chips: you can make by tearing 3-4 kale leaves into small pieces
    Coat in 1 tsp of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Arrange on a cookie sheet
    Sprinkle with sea salt (or creole seasoning - yum)
    Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until crisp

They are great low calorie snack and very good for you
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I most likely would not try kale, mainly because while I like the taste of spinach, I get sick every time I eat it raw. First time I had it in salad, I ended up with Listeriosis symptoms and every time after that my body just seems to say "Hey, isn't this what made you sick before?" :laugh: and then --bob's your uncle--I get sick again.

I've tended to be incredibly gullible and have foolishly trusted the package if it said "pre-washed, ready-to-eat". After the last time, if I ever do eat spinach again (or bravely try kale), I will practically sanitize it first.:sad:
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i freeze it and put it in my smoothies too...cant taste it!
    was struggling to find any at supermarkets, so i grow my own now lol!:laugh:
    bought the tubs of dry kale crisp things...with cheese....or chocolate....from amazon....bleh!...just could not stomach them and so the bin got them! (could not even give them away at work lol!!)
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat it as a salad.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love it in the winter, mashed up with potatoes, with smoked sausage and bacon pieces on the side. It's too rich for summer though..
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    544818_488992794489265_1788621871_n.png