Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Office Cake Culture..." Interesting BBC article

Options
2»

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    My question is why there needs to be food in the workplace. How is it a treat if there's food all the time?

I agree - this sounds like cookie time at preschool. Can people not just handle food on their own time? The offices I've worked in haven't been like this at all (IT and finance). Sounds like a distraction.

If there's food, it's the left-overs from some client thing and people scavenge it quickly.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think my office has a donut culture. Cake is usually only around when someone has a baby/wedding shower or retires. There are donuts several days a week.

I have a co-worker with a side bakery business who likes to bring new cupcakes she is trying out. So we have a cupcake culture. (She brings paczkis on Shrove Tuesday, but we otherwise don't have donuts much -- breakfast of choice when that gets provided is usually bagels.)

:love:

I love cupcakes, especially the fancy ones because one is more than enough. I'm not too big on frosting, so a single, special cupcake really hits the spot!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    e64e3dd2-13fa-4a7f-a7d2-10821c01f137_zpso6jhr506.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That was article written about a speech that someone is going to make? Since when did that become a thing? How do you report on something that hasn't happened yet?
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I've worked for a few different hospitals, and I do think it's true that the organizational culture has an impact on health. One of the best places was the children's hosptial. They started a campaign against childhood obesity. They changed the cafeteria, vending machines, and workplace meals and snacks (they always provided meals at the monthly staff meetings, for example). The "healthier" options were placed at eye level (screened and chosen by the nutritionist) and made less expensive than the junk food. The diet sodas were made cheaper than the regular sodas. Of course, they changes weren't perfect or evidence-based in my opinion, but better than nothing. They funded employees to participate in athletic events together, and gave discounts on health insurance for participating in a wellness program. Again, their idea of a healthy diet didn't exactly fit mine, but I appreciated the effort. At other jobs, we been given pancake breakfasts, cakes, cupcakes, pizza, etc. for celebrations, and I just don't eat. I look like the party pooper, but I'm used to it by now. There would always be bags of candy and treats for the nurses. I personally don't see it as thoughtful or helpful. It's annoying.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Crisseyda wrote: »
    I've worked for a few different hospitals, and I do think it's true that the organizational culture has an impact on health. One of the best places was the children's hosptial. They started a campaign against childhood obesity. They changed the cafeteria, vending machines, and workplace meals and snacks (they always provided meals at the monthly staff meetings, for example). The "healthier" options were placed at eye level (screened and chosen by the nutritionist) and made less expensive than the junk food. The diet sodas were made cheaper than the regular sodas. Of course, they changes weren't perfect or evidence-based in my opinion, but better than nothing. They funded employees to participate in athletic events together, and gave discounts on health insurance for participating in a wellness program. Again, their idea of a healthy diet didn't exactly fit mine, but I appreciated the effort. At other jobs, we been given pancake breakfasts, cakes, cupcakes, pizza, etc. for celebrations, and I just don't eat. I look like the party pooper, but I'm used to it by now. There would always be bags of candy and treats for the nurses. I personally don't see it as thoughtful or helpful. It's annoying.

And after those changes, what percentage of the employees lost significant weight and kept it off?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yeah, food is much more around at all times, from what I observe. Not sure why that cultural change, but we just have to learn to deal with it.

Has it changed? I've had an office job for 30 years and it's always been this way.

I'm in the same boat and it seems like where I'm at there less food in the office vs 20 years or so ago.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    MrSimmers wrote: »
    I'm all for a healthy diet, but that article is taking it too far. Life is to be enjoyed as well, especially special occasions.
    MrSimmers wrote: »
    I'm all for a healthy diet, but that article is taking it too far. Life is to be enjoyed as well, especially special occasions.

It's not a special occasion when it is weekly or more frequent.