4th of JULYY

Options

Replies

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Probably nothing. Family night is Saturday and we're having a fire to do smores. And fireworks are banned in my city.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    beach!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My husband and I get to be with family: my daughter and her family, my son and his family, my stepson (without his wife :( ) but with their girls, and some other family members who will likely be there. This is a yearly Independence Day thang, and I love it. When the children can't wait any longer for dark, they and their parents do fireworks while we "old folks" watch until we're nodding off.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    And to tell you the truth. Anytime someone says Independence Day it makes me think of the movies and aliens invading lol
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    jkhoffe wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    *Independence day.

We don't call Christmas December the 25th.

Anyway. I'm off but It's going to be raining all day.

I MAY be in love with you! Just had that conversation with someone the other day....

It's supposed to be nice and sunny here...

I just don't get it.

Memorial Day, Labor Day, Christmas Day, New Years Day. Arbor Day, Earth Day ..... down the list we go.

The one that should matter to most Americans .... July the Fourth, instead of Independence Day.

ngccg9luhrzu.png

it;s like everyone who gets pissed off at people for saying Happy Holiday's instead of Merry Christmas. Not everyone is going to say the same thing. It all means the same in the end.

I do not consider Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to mean the same thing because I am a Christian. But I get what you mean that we can say Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas and it comes off with the same meaning.
    And I agree that Happy 4th of July and Happy Independence Day can mean the same thing to Americans. Growing up my elders and community officials always called it 4th of July, then when they gave their speeches and shared their stories with us, the words Independence Day were used often.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    And to tell you the truth. Anytime someone says Independence Day it makes me think of the movies and aliens invading lol
    Me too! Born and raised in the us and not once have I ever heard it called independence day by anyone I know.

It's 4th of July. And I've lived all over the us so it's not a local thing.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    Me too! Born and raised in the us and not once have I ever heard it called independence day by anyone I know.

It's 4th of July. And I've lived all over the us so it's not a local thing.

Same here, no one I know has every called it Independence Day.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Waaalllll, it's Independence Day around here. It has meaning. It has history. It is appreciation for the forefathers and foremothers. It is appreciation for our country, what it is, and what it could be. It is recognition of all these things and not merely the fourth day of a month.

There are way too many people who are ignorant of what this day means. Ask Mark Dice, YouTube.com/MarkDice
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    Waaalllll, it's Independence Day around here. It has meaning. It has history. It is appreciation for the forefathers and foremothers. It is appreciation for our country, what it is, and what it could be. It is recognition of all these things and not merely the fourth day of a month.

There are way too many people who are ignorant of what this day means. Ask Mark Dice, YouTube.com/MarkDice

Just because people say 4th of July doesn't mean they don't respect it or know what it's about.

Also, to tell you the truth, if people don't know what it means, it means our country is seriously failing in the schooling department...

oh wait, that really is happening...
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    i don't think calling it Independence Day, or July 4th, or the 4th, or the 4th of July specifically means anything honestly.

round where i live, most everybody says it like that, "what you got planned for the 4th?" or some variation thereof.

its all just local vernacular and doesn't mean a great deal.

same as some of us call everything a "coke" even when you're getting something else "what kind of coke ya'll want?" "oh gimme a diet pepsi" etc etc.

and some people just call it soda.

and then the lizard people who give themselves away when they call it "pop".

Oh no, I'm surrounded by lizard people!!
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    Dammit, now I'm going to have to go watch the Movie. I mean it's everywhere on the TV right now lol.

Independence Day is pretty much turned into the day we watch a movie about an Alien Invasion. Truth be told. more people would be interested in the history of it if it involved Aliens.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Just say what your plans are and post oohs and aahs on other people's plans and like and awesome a few and get on with it -.-

My plans are to do nothing but eat and watch Independence Day lol.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options

Hahahaha, best line. And so topical given the look of the current box office